• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Improving the three mile

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwm522

Does anyone have any good advice to improve my three mile run. I am fine on push ups and pull ups but I am sitting at a disapointing 23.30 three mile.
Thanks a lot for any responses!

usanavypilot

There are a lot of 5K programs on the web. Just try searching for one that you like. One things that has helped me a lot is doing Fartlek (speed play) training. That is where you run 400m (or more or less) very fast then recover by jogging the same distance. I also have one long run a week, depending on the week from about an hour to an hour and a half. I improved my run from a 26 to a 23 ( im a female so its a little different). Good luck with the run and just run as often as you can without hurting yourself, you will notice changes in your time.

JWallAvionic

I currently run every other day, lift every other day, nice work out too, I am unsure what kind of time restraints you are on. But I would say push yourself it worked with me, I run just under six minute miles, but I need to work on my pull-ups ;) Just gotta keep on truckin'.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Get a heart rate monitor. There are some great things you can do with threshold HR training. Hold it at 80% of max for xxx time, then at 50% max.. repeat. Something like that. Get on some fitness forums. I know HR training works bigtime, making your body more efficient vice brute force attacks; I have never tried it myself though.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
yeah, another thing that's been working is interval training...run a mile as fast as you can, then rest for 3 minutes...do it 4 times. As you get better, start shortening the rest time. Make sure you keep doing a distance run somewhere in there so you keep up your endurance.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Just do some sort of running everyday, but make most of it nice and easy and try to work up to running for an hour or more, and throw short speed 10-15 seconds into all of your runs...if thats not feasable because of time or whatever The fartlek is a good way to go but remember to mix it up and do something every day

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I run 6 days a week. Over 3 miles every other day and a short 2 mile run in between. It seems to build speed and endurance if you sprint the last quarter mile or so of your runs. Dont hurt your shins, but push yourself as fast as you can go. Sprinting up hill does wonders too. Bottom line is it will hurt, but if you run through it you'll feel great and get faster.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
savoye said:
wildflyin,
Why were you npq'd for flight? Did your prk waiver not go through?
my color vision was a no go...was on the fence with it, but the number I got right was just shy... it sucks, but I really want to be an Officer so it's all good as long as I get in :icon_mi_1

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Get off the USMC forums snapperhead. What does the Navy know about fitness....they are in shape alright; Round! Thresh hold training...BS try adding wind sprints to your running regimen. Run 4 miles and every mile run a 20 sec all out sprint. Continue to increase these in duration and frequency in your run. Every other day works well and eat right after. Potassium will speed recovery along with Glutamine 2-5g daily. Also try working out your legs especially straight leg dead lifts and lunges. Navy has option to swim intead of run I guess that's because fat floats eh shipmate? Hooya masta chief.

arkansastrumpet

option to swim

Yeah, there's the option to swim, but only in certain instances. Navy OCS runs for PRT in most cases. Rarely, will you find someone doing the swim for OCS.

raider

I ran every other day for 3 -5 miles, but once a week I did an interval workout that really worked well for me. I would jog a mile, then run a mile all out, then jog a mile and so on for a total of 6 miles. The jog was pretty slow, which allowed me to catch my breath, but still get good mileage for endurance. On the fast runs, I would try to run faster than my 3 mile goal pace. That got me used to running fast. After a couple of weeks, I increased it to jog 1 mile, run 2 miles, jog 1, run 2. By the time I did my PFT, one 3 mile run wasn't too bad.

pjxc415

pilot
I'm not going to claim to be the omniscient runner, but I do run a 15:50 3 mile so I think I am qualified to speak about training. I'm not sure what kind of training you're doing right now in terms of miles/week and days running per week, but you gotta start somewhere. I would start out running 4 days per week @ 15 miles per week. Do this at whatever speed you wish and whatever mileage spread you wish. One of these days do a speed workout meaning go to the track and do 4x1000 meter repeats or 800m, 1000m, 1200m, 1000m, 800m. You can choose your own workouts, find some online or ask me via email or the thread, but whichever ones you choose you have to be going hard at them since your base mileage (your other runs during the week) are going to be at a normal pace. Increase your mileage no more than 20% per week. Eventually you will be able to run 6 days a week and when you this you should do two speed workouts a week, maybe 3. I would work up until you're doing 35-40 miles a week with 2 or 3 speed workouts, remember your base mileage is just at a comfortable consistent pace. Test your 3 mile time once every other week, you will see improvement after two weeks, i guarantee it.

I run the mile for BU track and the 8k for the xc team. Just to give you an example I'll give you my ideal week of training (it's hard to do this sometimes because it wears me down fast), but here it is.
Monday: long day. 13-15 miles with a 20 min tempo run in the middle (6 min pace for tempo). The long run is what really gave me a jump in my running, made me very strong, but don't do it until your body is absolutely ready for it.
Tuesday: Easy 7 or 8 miles. 7 min. pace.
Wednesday: Track workout. 3 mile warmup. 8x400m at 63 seconds. 3 mile cool down. 10 miles total however i can get it.
Thursday: 10 mile, decent pace (6:45)
Friday: 7 miles very easy (7:30)
Saturday: Race (you can make this your practice pft). Try to get 10-12 miles for the day after race and 3 mile warmup.
Sunday: 8-9 easy depending how legs are feeling.

My ideal mileage is 70/week, but sometimes my body breaks if i consistently do that, others on my team can handle even higher mileage. I never recommend running 7 days/week unless its under the instruction of a coach and you have teammates or friends to run with. Most importantly, never go beyond what you know your legs can handle (in terms of injury), your body will break. Also, nutrition is essential to running, although I find it to be the hardest part. As long as you're getting plenty of protein and the essential nutrients, the lighter you are the better. If someone has good advice on nutrition please post it because i could use it. Hope this all helps, just some advice from a collegiate runner/Marine option midshipman. Any questions let me know, I'd be willing to give some more personalized advice if you want. Also, this is just advice, please disregard if you'd like.

Pat

usanavypilot

Pat,

That sounds INSANE to most of us normal people out here. I wish that I was superman and could do that stuff. Unfortuneately I came from a strength background (threw shot and discus, played rugby and was a competitive powerlifter) and running KILLS me. It seems like you aren't gonna have any trouble with the PT at OCS.

For those of you out there that come from a similar background as me, it is possible to get your run time down. I went from a 26 min to a 23 (I am female) with speed training and long runs. An average week for me would be a little more than 20 miles and running 6 days a week. I dropped a lot of muscle but that's what i needed to do to train for the Marines. Good luck to all of you muscle bound people!

spr

Just a heads up but I think Potassium is what they use to stop the heart in lethal injections, be careful with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.