• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Imminient Danger Pay Now Pro-Rated

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MB pretty much hit it. What I'm talking about is the fact that I pay a mess bill for each meal that I'm on the ship. While in country I didn't pay a cent extra for all of my food. I get it. When on base in the States, if I want to eat, I pay for it. When any other service deploys, they get their food for free. They don't lose their BAS. When I deploy to the ship, I have to pay for the slop I'm served.

My guess? Because the DFACs are contract and not a DON/DOA/DOAF subsidized unit (correct? I'm asking, here). Aren't most of the bases in-country DOD bases and not specifically an Army/Marine/etc? Afterall, they're not being serviced by one unit/service, correct (again, I'm asking)? Multiple assets from multiple units bring supplies in.

A Navy ship isn't contracted. When they pull into port/Unrep, they're buying the food that gets onloaded. They're buying it with a budget. If the food they're onloading is more expensive than the previous onload, the Chop has to make the money last. I've seen it happen. The ship buys food for more than they should have/was expecting and then they have to stretch the money for the rest of the quarter (which often means crappier meal items and/or smaller portions). I'd guess the carrier doesn't run into that quite as much as an independent steamer because of the log train that supports the carrier, but the basic system is the same.

As for not paying while on land in theater... I guess one more reason to be off the boat. Then again, there's probably a bunch of other reasons why boat life is better/safer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I tell people the extra is for all the cookies they take from the line. You know who you are.

I fully acknowlede my cookie monster tendancies. But I say it makes up for the less than great plate that was saved for me while flying. Mmmm...rice and cold brocoli. Yum! Where's the PBJ?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, if they put X food item out, it will just get eaten. What's the sense of that? :eek:

They should do a Navy CHOP eddition of that Hoarders show. Good cruise video idea.

Brett

phrogpilot73

WTF do you think you are? A paying customer?
I got in a pissing contest with the SuppO one month. Why? They refused to provide box lunches to aircrew when we were flying during meal hours, and locked up the PB&J and cereal during non-meal hours. So, I kept a detailed log for a month - and refused to pay for my full mess bill since I wasn't afforded the opportunity to eat the food I was paying for. Ended up in front of the ship's XO because the SuppO thought he was going to win.

Guess what? Box lunches or hot plates for aircrew from then on.

Honestly, I could have given a shit (I always had MREs stashed in my stateroom) - but my crewchiefs generally didn't have any recourse...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
When I was on the small boy we made nice with the mess guys and always had food available after we landed. Of course I probably ate more meals in the enlisted mess than in the wardroom due to meal hours, quality of food, etc.

Luckily on the CV you always have food available.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
When I was on the small boy we made nice with the mess guys and always had food available after we landed. Of course I probably ate more meals in the enlisted mess than in the wardroom due to meal hours, quality of food, etc.

Luckily on the CV you always have food available.

As MB stated, not all CVs. It was the Vinson in 2003 when we had just started deployment. They would clean out the wardrooms completely after meal hours, which of course did not jive with flight ops. One day the wardroom officer happened to be in there on a no fly day (clearly this guy had no SA) and was asked about why nothing was left out - no cereal, pb&j, nothing. His answer, unbelievably, was that it was because "you selfish aviators would eat it all."

The scene unfolded in epic fashion as just about everyone in there surrounded this idiot JG with VMFA-314 ready to rip him apart. He just kept screaming in defiance eventually yelling out that "this was my wardroom!" Silence ensued after a loud booming voice was heard. The air wing parted for DCAG who said to the wardroom officer "actually, it is the Big XO's wardroom and we are going to go pay him a visit right now."

The problem was rectified shortly thereafter.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As MB stated, not all CVs. It was the Vinson in 2003 when we had just started deployment. They would clean out the wardrooms completely after meal hours, which of course did not jive with flight ops. One day the wardroom officer happened to be in there on a no fly day (clearly this guy had no SA) and was asked about why nothing was left out - no cereal, pb&j, nothing. His answer, unbelievably, was that it was because "you selfish aviators would eat it all."

The scene unfolded in epic fashion is just about everyone in there surrounded this idiot JG with VMFA-314 ready to rip him apart. He just kept screaming in defiance eventually yelling out that "this was my wardroom!" Silence ensued after a loud booming voice was heard. The air wing parted for DCAG who said to the wardroom officer "actually, it is the Big XO's wardroom and we are going to go pay him a visit right now."

The problem was rectified shortly thereafter.

This and Phrog73's story are what drive me crazy when I hear small boy stories about how the Chop wouldn't give the airdales food and "nothing could be done." I equate it to weak leadership for failure to bring it up the chain of command. Phrog's log is a perfect example. Once the XO, or if he's out to lunch (and I've seen it happen), the CO is made aware of the problem, problems usually are solved (with a little tact). Sure there's the odd example of a Holly Graf, but even then some one can just say they're not able to complete the mission and people will start to wonder why...and start asking questions as to why "that ship" can't operate.

I ran into a similar situation as Phrog on my second deployment. I wasn't nearly as organized as Phrog73 and I probably only missed 5 meals instead of a whole month, but fortunately I had a solid OIC and a good front office on the ship and the problem was addressed.

phrogpilot73

I ran into a similar situation as Phrog on my second deployment. I wasn't nearly as organized as Phrog73 and I probably only missed 5 meals instead of a whole month...
I guess I should clarify. I didn't miss a whole month of meals. If I dug around and looked - I could probably still find my log, but I think I missed somewhere along the lines of 16-ish meals in the month. I also counted the ones where I came screaming down from the flight deck, dropped my flight gear in the room, only to have the mess cranks close the line and say "sorry sir" to my face.

I didn't REFUSE to pay my mess bill, I DEMANDED to pay a prorated mess bill (like they do when in port). I kept getting the "but we're underway" bullshit, but what caused the shit to hit the fan (and having me stand tall in front of the ship's XO) was when I essentially told the SuppO he was a incompetent douchebag. I didn't use those exact words, but it was what I was thinking. He thought he was going to have my nuts in a vice, until I produced the detailed log (with NAVFLIRS as supporting evidence) to include logged comments of mess cranks, CS's, and O's in the supply chain as to "why it wasn't their problem".

It's quite rewarding to see a smug look on a O-4's face (when you're a junior O-3) disappear instantaneously when the ship's XO tells me that I will be paying a prorated mess bill that month, and asks that I close the door behind me as he has a word with the SuppO in private.

Organized? I'm hardly organized. I was pissed, and we were three months in to a "we don't know when we're coming home" deployment (turned out to be 8 months).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Organized? I'm hardly organized. I was pissed, and we were three months in to a "we don't know when we're coming home" deployment (turned out to be 8 months).

Still, way more organized than I was. But I'm with you and said the same thing. I'd be happy to pay the bill, I just wanted it pro-rated.