• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Imminient Danger Pay Now Pro-Rated

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
IBB, I asked that on four different boats. Know what the answer was?

Different pots of money.

My boss was an Army tank guy. He's shocked we pay for food, as was every non Marine LNO I ever dealt with on the CG, CV or CVN.
Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

A group of us JO's asked the boat's Suppo on last cruise about it, his honest answer was "that's just the way it always has been done".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
IBB, I asked that on four different boats. Know what the answer was?

Different pots of money.

My boss was an Army tank guy. He's shocked we pay for food, as was every non Marine LNO I ever dealt with on the CG, CV or CVN.

I think you guys are confusing your dues. Your mess bill is seperate from your mess dues. Even the enlisted pay for their food, albeit at a much reduced rate, which is the part that I haven't figured out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A group of us JO's asked the boat's Suppo on last cruise about it, his honest answer was "that's just the way it always has been done".
As much as we all hate this, it is, in fact, just the way it is. No sense spending valuable time or getting frustrated by something that ain't gonna change. Pick your battles, this one is unwinnable.

Brett

MasterBates

Enlisted lose BAS, same as Army in the field. The question is, why are Naval Officers, to include those cruising with us (LNOs) the only ones that pay for food. I can understand not as good of food if its a straight up logistics issue, but friends I have in the USAF dont pay for food, beyond losing BAS.

MasterBates

I'm with IBB on this. We've lost so many good traditions.

Let's lose some shitty ones at least while we are at it.

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Same argument thrown back at you. Single guys have known since they signed up that they get paid less than married ones.

I doubt that there are many 17-18 year olds heading to Annapolis or ROTC that know married folks get more BAH and family sep pay on deployment. I would venture to guess that very few of 21-22 year old OCS candidates know the intricacies of military pay either. But every single one of them knew they were going to be on a boat away from home at some point in time.

Nice try though.

MasterBates

I say we just get the military out of the dependent business.

You get paid the same as everyone your rank with the same years, no more getting out of the barracks because you married a stripper, no extra BAH, no extra pay.

My girlfriend is considered a dependent by my civilian job. Guess what? I pay extra for her health insurance and don't get paid more.

I choose to pay to have her on my insurance, and pay accordingly. Why should the Military be any different than civilians in that regard? I won't get a raise I'd we got married, but if i was still in, I would effectively do just that.

I'll leave taxes out of it because that's a whole different ball of wax.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
As much as we all hate this, it is, in fact, just the way it is. No sense spending valuable time or getting frustrated by something that ain't gonna change. Pick your battles, this one is unwinnable.

Brett

Sorry Brett, I'm not a shut up and color guy. This is just one of the things that is going into the pile of reasons to find another line of work. I go to the CAOC and get unbelievable food at all times. On top of that, I can take drinks whenever I want. I go to Afghanistan and it's the same thing but even better. In the war zone of Afghanistan I got better food then I ever did on the boat. Any boat. They have energy bars at all times. I can't even get a proper boxed lunch on the boat when flying a 6 hour mission. No, CS2, that plate of baked beans and chicken wrapped in tin foil that you gave me on the boat will not work for me in the plane.
Take away my BAS. It doesn't cover my mess bill anyways. But do away with the mess bills as well. The thing that gets me the most is that the ship WILL NOT change it's meals to the schedules of the CVW. If the whole airwing is flying mostly night ops and no one is going to get up before 11a.m., well too bad. No breakfast for you. That is not how it's done in the Stan. If you are working night ops, then you get breakfast when you get up, even if that is 6 P.M. This attitude of "that's how it's always been done" is antiquated. It's time for change, right? Maybe it's point paper time. It's not like there are any reasonable arguments to defend this policy. It's just the way it is.

MasterBates

But remember, Brett will be a CO and we won't, and the mantra of shut up and color will persist

I've been known to tilt Quitoxic at windmills.

I've won some like the King Kat, and an IG complaint complete with congressional fun.

I've lost some, like the AWG battle vs the SWO CNO and a uniform review board that was way too heavy on the E-9 demographic.

But you can't win if you don't try.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Enlisted lose BAS, same as Army in the field. The question is, why are Naval Officers, to include those cruising with us (LNOs) the only ones that pay for food. I can understand not as good of food if its a straight up logistics issue, but friends I have in the USAF dont pay for food, beyond losing BAS.

And as an Officer, you don't lose your BAS. So you keep your money and have to pay for your food. The enlisted don't keep their money and don't write a check for their food (which I'd argue still means they're paying for it).

Now if you want to argue that BAS doesn't cover your mess bill, that's a WHOLE other argument (that I'd agree with...although it's much better now than when I was a JO), but to say that officers on a boat are the ONLY people that have some sort of cash-for-food setup isn't really true.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Wait...You don't have your BAS checked when you're on the ship? Sailors don't have their commrats checked on the ship? Damn Marine Corps. You go to the field for a week and your next paycheck comes up 60 bucks short because of those MREs. It doesn't always happen bc the OpsO can lose the paperwork before it makes it over to Admin, but that's the way it's supposed to work.

Kinda the reverse of guys having their meal cards collected up when they go on leave. If a dude wants to hit the mess hall on leave, let him. I still haven't figured that one out, and I've been doing it for a long time.

MasterBates

Enlisted lose BAS. Officers keep it, but pay about twice what it is in the food part of the mess bill.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
To add to it, when the Airwing is NOT embarked on the carrier, the hot dog roller is going 24/7, the autodog machineis always working and I've even seen a 24 hour chili bar in the wardroom.

Once the Airwing is on board you cn't find a chocolate chip cookie to save your life!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry Brett, I'm not a shut up and color guy. This is just one of the things that is going into the pile of reasons to find another line of work. I go to the CAOC and get unbelievable food at all times. On top of that, I can take drinks whenever I want. I go to Afghanistan and it's the same thing but even better. In the war zone of Afghanistan I got better food then I ever did on the boat. Any boat. They have energy bars at all times. I can't even get a proper boxed lunch on the boat when flying a 6 hour mission. No, CS2, that plate of baked beans and chicken wrapped in tin foil that you gave me on the boat will not work for me in the plane.
Take away my BAS. It doesn't cover my mess bill anyways. But do away with the mess bills as well. The thing that gets me the most is that the ship WILL NOT change it's meals to the schedules of the CVW. If the whole airwing is flying mostly night ops and no one is going to get up before 11a.m., well too bad. No breakfast for you. That is not how it's done in the Stan. If you are working night ops, then you get breakfast when you get up, even if that is 6 P.M. This attitude of "that's how it's always been done" is antiquated. It's time for change, right? Maybe it's point paper time. It's not like there are any reasonable arguments to defend this policy. It's just the way it is.

I don't disagree with any of your rationale. It's a fucked up policy that definitely should be changed. Here's the thing - people have been complaining about this literally for generations. So, MB can write an articulate, well argued point paper and run it up the chain, but what makes you think that his point paper is going to receive any more attention than all the dozens of guys who have done the exact same thing over the last 30-40 years? Why, all of a sudden, is NOW the time it's going to work? What has changed? As unjust as it all seems to us, this just isn't something that big Navy is going to change. We all know it. It's not a matter of "shut up and color," it's just how it is.

Can't win if you don't try? Maybe, but as I said before, I'll spend my time and energy on issues that big Navy doesn't consider DOA.

So, if that's the straw that breaks the camel's back for your (or anyone's) decision to continue serving, that's unfortunate and perhaps understandable. People get out for all kinds of reasons, so if the Navy isn't cutting it for you anymore, you should vote with your feet.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Enlisted lose BAS. Officers keep it, but pay about twice what it is in the food part of the mess bill.

It may be different on a carrier, but nowadays, my mess bill on a small boy was nowhere NEAR twice my BAS. Back when I was a LT, yeah, you bet. But not nowadays. And this was on FFGs, which are always broke and apparently incapable of balancing a checkbook, let along their food budget.