• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm not sure where to start. Is it too late?

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
@T33 since you're a prior, do you still have to go through plebe summer?

Yes.

I think putting up with Plebe Summer was one of the tougher parts for my buddies who were prior. Those of us straight out of HS didn't know any better.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes. Everyone - everyone - goes through plebe year. I think the last guy who was allowed to skip it was in the 1900s or thereabouts.

T33

Haha so I can count not being the lucky one who gets to skip it, darn it. Well I guess if it's apart of the process then I'll endure it.

phrogpilot73

Haha so I can count not being the lucky one who gets to skip it, darn it. Well I guess if it's apart of the process then I'll endure it.
It's really not that bad. After having been through boot camp, it was like I was having an out of body experience during plebe summer. I could see what they were doing/trying to accomplish, and did my best to help my classmates. It helps that priors show up the day before the high school kids, so we're already moved in, clothes folded, rack made, etc... When my roommate showed up like a shit sandwich, I was calm and collected in the room, reading reef points. They try to spread us out throughout the company during plebe summer - and I think it is to be a "rock" for the HS kids that haven't got a clue yet.

The intense friendship building starts right then and there. One of the guys that I befriended during plebe summer, and became my plebe academic year roommate got orders to Japan. PSW and I watched his two boxers (one was 12 years old, and he was afraid he wouldn't survive the trip) for close to two years. That's the kind of friendships you form there.

T33

Haha shit sandwich.

So it's basically a bootcamp for officers huh?

I understand having to go then.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's indoc, yeah. You'll still get shit on, even of you're the most squared-away sailor man ever; do everything perfectly, you'll get shit on for not helping your soup-sandwich roommate. The system is designed so that you will fail at something, repeatedly, no matter what you do, and challenge you to keep your composure, bounce back from it and learn on your feet. Valuable lessons, especially for some of the high school studs who've never even had a pimple. I saw plenty who had no concept of how to deal with failure and just imploded the first time someone told them they fucked up.

T33

Yeah definitely understandable.

Well all I really have to do is put everything together and just go for it.

Thanks for all the help.

A.war.IN.me

Space Geek x pi
@T33

I know I'm a bit late but, you're an E-3, so will you get E-3 pay at the academy?

I read that certain things are deducted so does that mean they'll deduct it from your base pay?

I only ask because I'm looking into the academy and wanted to weigh pros and cons.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@T33

I know I'm a bit late but, you're an E-3, so will you get E-3 pay at the academy?

I read that certain things are deducted so does that mean they'll deduct it from your base pay?

I only ask because I'm looking into the academy and wanted to weigh pros and cons.

No. Your clock stops for all purposes while at USNA. You get the same Middie pay as everyone else, same deductions, same everything.

The deductions are for everything they issue you (uniforms, computer, books, etc). Before you ask, no, you don't get to opt out of anything to keep the money. Your cash pay increases as you pay stuff off, so plebe year my take home (as it were) was about $50. By firstie year it was a few hundred. That's really just pizza money, as you have no other expenses to cover.

T33

@a.war.in.me

Yeah, what he said.

I was hoping so when I first started the process but I soon realize going to the Academy is a whole different ball game than anything else. You basically start for scratch. ...-like everything starts over.

My advice to you is save up as much as you can just in case you have no one on the outside to provide for you. That's what I'm doing. I know I'm only 20 but I'm definitely not about to have my mom come outta pocket for ANYTHING.

So yeah that's my advice for you. I know 50-100 dollars seems like a joke but you're most likely going to have to dig deep and find a pro that out weighs it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not so much start from scratch...your E time will count again once you come out the other side...but more that you're not really in the Navy while at USNA. You're in a weird parallel universe Navy-themed trade school/reformatory. That's a difficult pill to swallow for some priors, especially ones who did something more than Boot and A-School.

There are a lot of advantages to having Canoe U on your resume. Shitty place to be, great place to be from, as the cliché goes. Again, it's a matter of whether it's worth it to you.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are a lot of advantages to having Canoe U on your resume. Shitty place to be, great place to be from, as the cliché goes. Again, it's a matter of whether it's worth it to you.

I'm not an Academy grad, but with many years of serving with "Ring Knockers" in Squadrons and ashore... I guarantee, most are outstanding Officers (& pilots), and make great Ship/Squadronmates & life-long friends, regardless of 'your' commissioning source.

I spent an entire Navy career as a diploma-less ex-NAVCAD. Today I still enjoy lasting friendships with Academy Shipmates whom I respect & am equally respected in return. In fact I had coffee yesterday with Ret. CAPT "Buddy"P., a USNA grad & one of my combat flight leaders in VA-146. Hadn't seen Buddy in 45 years. We spent 2 fantastic hours reliving the crazy "goin's on" in the summer of '67. It was beyond priceless!

I can also state that, despite all the ass-pain you will endure during your four years, it will be well worth it when you succeed (regardless of your class standing). The USNA degree IS HIGHLY REGARDED, both within the military, and in the civilian world. :)
BzB

A.war.IN.me

Space Geek x pi
I have a lot of considering to do.

I thing I'm gonna take some leave with buddies and visit the place.

Have you been t33? I'm definitely trying to do that before I get this whole process started.

T33

No I haven't. I was thinking about it but I'm trying to avoid anything that may change my mind.

My buddies keep telling me that by going I'm taking too many steps backward just to go one step forward.

I haven't even entirely discussed this with my COC yet.