• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm in the market for a good cell phone (need some fellow service member input)

phrogpilot73

Well after comparing all the big name smartphones and counting the costs, the winner so far is the BlackBerry 8820. The Palm Treo 750 would have it beat if it wasn't for the lack of integrated WiFi. That's out weighs the BB's lack of a camera and video recorder by quite a lot. Plus it is slightly cheaper than the iPhone, which I'm not too impressed with.
The only question that I have is have you weighed the cost of the service plan as well? BB requires a BB connect plan which is pretty steep. Also, if you aren't tying it into a work email server, you have to rely on the BIS for push email - don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not.

BackOrdered

Contributor
The only question that I have is have you weighed the cost of the service plan as well? BB requires a BB connect plan which is pretty steep.

Of course. 39.99 for the contract and 39.99 for the BB connect plan, 36.99 activation fee, 4.99 for insurance, $299.99 net cost for the phone (49.99 less than the Treo, 100 cheaper than the iPhone), all before discounts and tax is considered. I usually have a fairly decent data package on my old contract. The service along with discounts is about what I pay now and shouldn't be an issue.

Also, if you aren't tying it into a work email server, you have to rely on the BIS for push email - don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not.

What that boils down to is am I comfort about paying for a full data plan (39.99) over the 19.99 I already pay? Or, am I will to upgrade my data plan? Something I see doing even if I did get a Treo or iPhone.

phrogpilot73

What that boils down to is am I comfort about paying for a full data plan (39.99) over the 19.99 I already pay? Or, am I will to upgrade my data plan? Something I see doing even if I did get a Treo or iPhone.
If you buy the Treo unlocked, or from AT&T's website - I can tell you that you don't have to upgrade your data plan. What I was getting at is that in order to get push email to your device, you have to register your device on a Blackberry Internet Server (BIS) or a Blackberry Exchange Server (BES). BES is usually corporate, established by your company. Big Navy has a BES, but if you're looking for your personal email - you have to go through the BIS. I don't know the details of what email accounts work with BIS, but it's worth looking into if you want push email.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had a Blackberry with T-Mobile for 3 years now and love it. My data plan is $20 a month for unlimited data. The push e-mail works with all major e-mail providers. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. No delay noticed on receipt time either.

BackOrdered

Contributor
If you buy the Treo unlocked, or from AT&T's website - I can tell you that you don't have to upgrade your data plan. What I was getting at is that in order to get push email to your device, you have to register your device on a Blackberry Internet Server (BIS) or a Blackberry Exchange Server (BES). BES is usually corporate, established by your company. Big Navy has a BES, but if you're looking for your personal email - you have to go through the BIS. I don't know the details of what email accounts work with BIS, but it's worth looking into if you want push email.

I just did more homework on it and I don't even need a BB data plan to get email or web browsing services. A regular data plan works fine. Also, I was offered suggestions on a few 3rd party software packages that will let me use Gmail and browse the web without going through Blackberry. With free WiFi usage, I'm just about sold on the 8820. You are right about the latest Treo being pound for pound a better phone, but the WiFi the 8820 is offering is a huge bonus at the expense of lesser GPS functions (which I already have in my car) and a camera.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
You had better double-check the on the number of 3rd-party apps available to the Blackberry. That is one arena that Palm outshines them handily.

phrogpilot73

I'd also double check the need for a Blackberry data plan. When my wife switched over to her BB Pearl, she had an unlimited data plan. Tried to get the BB to work with ANYTHING (email, web, etc...) no joy. Called Cingular and switched it over to a BB data plan. 5 minutes later, it was working as advertised.

Oh, and for 3rd Party internet/email programs good luck. My wife and I have been trying to get some of them to work with hers, and it's always a headache. Apparently there's some extra switch that must be flipped over at AT&T that we're missing. Either that, or the DNS information I was given doesn't work. Either way, I would hardly call it a painless install.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'd also double check the need for a Blackberry data plan. When my wife switched over to her BB Pearl, she had an unlimited data plan. Tried to get the BB to work with ANYTHING (email, web, etc...) no joy. Called Cingular and switched it over to a BB data plan. 5 minutes later, it was working as advertised.

Were you using BB's software or a 3rd party?

phrogpilot73

Were you using BB's software or a 3rd party?
When we first got the phone, we tried to use the BB's built in web browser and it didn't work. That's when we found out that we had to switch over to the BB data plan. She uses MSN email, so to get it to push we had to use AT&T's BIS. That was relatively painless once we got it switched to a BB data plan.

We added one or two 3rd party applications that use the data connection and it has been hit or miss whether it works or not. There's something in the setup for DNS that we can't seem to get set up right and AT&T's customer service sucks with that regard. They're hit and miss as well. If you're looking to use it for anything other than what's built in, I would recommend either www.crackberry.com or www.blackberryfourms.com to help you out. Somewhere on the blackberryfourms.com site someone posted a direct dial number to AT&T's Blackberry Specific technical support. That'll save you some time on the phone.

BackOrdered

Contributor
When we first got the phone, we tried to use the BB's built in web browser and it didn't work. That's when we found out that we had to switch over to the BB data plan. She uses MSN email, so to get it to push we had to use AT&T's BIS. That was relatively painless once we got it switched to a BB data plan.

Right.

That won't work, but it will for free with WiFi.

We added one or two 3rd party applications that use the data connection and it has been hit or miss whether it works or not. There's something in the setup for DNS that we can't seem to get set up right and AT&T's customer service sucks with that regard. They're hit and miss as well. If you're looking to use it for anything other than what's built in, I would recommend either www.crackberry.com or www.blackberryfourms.com to help you out. Somewhere on the blackberryfourms.com site someone posted a direct dial number to AT&T's Blackberry Specific technical support. That'll save you some time on the phone

Most definately.

I'm going to surf the BB forums for 3rd party software comments. The main thing is that the 3rd party software works well via the WiFi. So long as it does I'm set especially since the speed of the WiFi is decent too (according to reviews). Lastly, I manage to find this phone 50 dollars cheaper elsewhere bringing the net cost down to 249.99.

So

Phone: 249.99
Contract 64.99 per/m
Activation: 36.99
Military discounts and sales tax not considered

Sounds pretty solid to me.

phrogpilot73

I keep forgetting that it has WiFi, the BB Pearl only has EDGE. Sounds like you're working a pretty good deal. I don't know if you've made it over to any of the forums yet, but at the four I mentioned before (crackberry, treocentral, wmexperts, phonedifferent) they're currently having a "round-robin" for the next 4 weeks. The editors (who use a Treo 750, Treo 680, iPhone and BB Curve) are swapping phones. 1 phone every 4 weeks. Should be some interesting reading. Not to mention if you make a post in one of the specially designated threads, you are entered to win the smartphone of your choice. Not a bad deal. Here's the link with info: http://roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com/

BackOrdered

Contributor
I keep forgetting that it has WiFi, the BB Pearl only has EDGE. Sounds like you're working a pretty good deal. I don't know if you've made it over to any of the forums yet, but at the four I mentioned before (crackberry, treocentral, wmexperts, phonedifferent) they're currently having a "round-robin" for the next 4 weeks. The editors (who use a Treo 750, Treo 680, iPhone and BB Curve) are swapping phones. 1 phone every 4 weeks. Should be some interesting reading. Not to mention if you make a post in one of the specially designated threads, you are entered to win the smartphone of your choice. Not a bad deal. Here's the link with info: http://roundrobin.smartphoneexperts.com/

I just came back from initiating the agreement. The store was out of 8820's, but I'll have the phone shipped express mail free of charge.

I just want to thank you again sir for your time and insight. I'm sure now I've made a wise choice.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
This is probably a threadjack, but what about deployment? What do people use when we deploy? I think I'm going to just cancel my cell service and rely on Phone Cards. The cost/minute on most international calling plans is outrageous for the Mid East / Italy / etc. Any suggestions? Deployment is coming up VERY quick...