• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm in the market for a good cell phone (need some fellow service member input)

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm looking into a new cell phone and contract. I'm definitely going with AT&T on this and I'm somewhat familiar with the existence of military discounts offered through them. Plus my family uses it primarily so I have mobile to mobile going for me too. Nevertheless, I still need to do more research. But now for the hardest part:

Which handset do I purchase!

I ALWAYS believe in going big on these sort of things especially since the 2 year contract price on phones is a one time deal. But before I drop $300 on a Blackberry I'll never fully use, what utility have you guys gotten out of high end PDA phones? I know you can't use them aboard ship but what about on shore? Or am I better off just getting a free phone :yuck_125:

Also although I'm certain about using AT&T, just to be open minded, what current experiences have you guys had with other providers.

phrogpilot73

I ALWAYS believe in going big on these sort of things especially since the 2 year contract price on phones is a one time deal. But before I drop $300 on a Blackberry I'll never fully use, what utility have you guys gotten out of high end PDA phones? I know you can't use them aboard ship but what about on shore?
I've got a Treo 650 with Cingular (now AT&T), and before that I had a Kyocera 7135. First some things to consider:

1. No, you can't use the phone portion of the smartphone on ship - but you can use the PDA function. I brought mine with me on both deployments and no one batted an eye (mainly because I wasn't holding it up to my ear and yakking).

2. Even then, using the phone aboard ship is up to the Capt. When I was on the big deck, big no-no (unless we were in port). On the little deck, you could use it during lunchtime and all the time while in port. Of course, it doesn't work on a TransLant.

You've basically got to figure out which PDA OS you want to use. AT&T luckily offers all of them: BB, Palm, and WM. I'm a Palm guy, considering the jump to WM but I'm holding out that the Centro (on Sprint) makes it to AT&T in the next year or so. Important to note that WM comes in two flavors - Smartphone edition and Pocket PC edition. What's the big deal? You can view, but not edit MS Office documents on the Smartphone edition, but can edit them on the Pocket PC edition. The Blackjack and 3125 has the Smartphone edition, and the 8125, 8525, Tilt & Treo 750 has the Pocket PC edition. WM 6.0 is supposed to come out for AT&T soon as well.

My suggestion would be two-fold:
1. Go to an AT&T store that doesn't have mock-ups, and has real-live operating phones and play with the OS to figure out which one you like.

2. Buy that phone off of eBay unlocked. You can sign up for AT&T's international roaming but it is PRICEY. If you pull into port, you can buy a pre-paid SIM and it's cheaper. How pricey is pricey? I didn't have an unlocked phone, and used the international roaming and ended up with a $2000 cell phone bill one month. If you decide to get it through AT&T (cheaper or what have you), search on the internet how to unlock it. Unlocking it is key.

The general consensus is that if you want simple, yet effective PIM operation go with Palm. If you want push email, go with BB. If you want MS Active Sync with your exchange server, go with a WM device. Me personally, I'm going to stick with Palm because there's a metric shit-ton of third party programs available for it (anything you think of really). As a quick sample of what I can do with my Palm Treo 650 (which is the predecessor to the 680 that AT&T offers now):

Push email with Gmail/AOL (any IMAP provider) with Chattermail.
Over the air Sync with Google Calendar.
Flight Status information.
Google Maps.
Weather (to include radar pics).
Metro Maps of Washington, DC.
Full editing/creating of MS Office documents.
Tether to my computer and use it as a wireless modem.
Streaming Internet Radio.
Full Dictionary/Thesaurus
Scientific Calculator
Remote destruction of my data if I lose it with Warden.
Sodoku, Chess, Bejewled, etc...
Currency converter.
Automatic forwarding of my cell phone to my home phone when I plug it in.

The list is endless what you CAN do with it, the above is what I actually do on an almost daily basis. You can PM me if you want to ask more questions, and www.treocentral.com (for Treos), www.wmexperts.com (for WM devices), www.crackberry.com (for BB), and www.phonedifferent.com (for iPhone) have a crap load of information on their respective devices. They share the same user base, so if you join one - you have the same permissions on all the others.

BackOrdered

Contributor
You sir have given me much to consider. The big one is looking into how to get whichever phone unlocked. I appreciate the advice.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Push email with Gmail/AOL (any IMAP provider) with Chattermail.

Wow, aren't you Mr. Cutting Edge. Gmail has only had IMAP for a week or two. I had to look it up when I saw your post because I didn't think it was possible yet.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I heartily concur with the Treo 650 advice. I have had it for two years, trouble free. I have been a Palm OS user for 10 years now. Got my first one when Palm devices were made by U.S. Robotics.

AJB37

Doesn't anyone just use a cell phone for talking anymore?

I do, but I'm a minimalist. If you're looking for just a small nice handset I would suggest the Motoral Slvr... it has functions but I don't know what they are because I don't use them. I know you can check email from it... but I like it because it's small enough that I don't notice that I'm carrying a phone.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
iSecond Cavt... get an iPhone. Price drop to 400 bucks, new updates almost constantly, functionality is great and it's easy to use.

snake020

Contributor
Well if you are like me and just use your phone for voice and text messages, can't say enough good things about the Sony Ericsson Z710.

phrogpilot73

Wow, aren't you Mr. Cutting Edge. Gmail has only had IMAP for a week or two. I had to look it up when I saw your post because I didn't think it was possible yet.
Actually, it's only been less than a week. Found out from treocentral. The ONLY reason I stuck with AOL this long was because of the ability to do IMAP push with Chattermail. Now that GMail can do it, it's time to send out a mass email...

I heartily concur with the Treo 650 advice. I have had it for two years, trouble free. I have been a Palm OS user for 10 years now. Got my first one when Palm devices were made by U.S. Robotics.
And it was before the lawsuit with Pilot pen. Right there with you my friend, US Robotics Pilot 1000. Went from there to a Handspring Visor, briefly flirted with a Philips Nino (what can I say, color drew me in), back to my Visor, then to my Kyocera 7135, and finally Treo 650. Waiting for the next great one...

one word IPhone

iSecond Cavt... get an iPhone. Price drop to 400 bucks, new updates almost constantly, functionality is great and it's easy to use.
While this could start a giant pissing contest, my suggestion still stands. Go to an AT&T store and try them ALL out. If they don't have an iPhone, see if you can find an Apple store (or an AT&T store that carries them) and try it out. I've tried the iPhone extensively - it's not for me. It may be for you, but certainly not for me.

As for unlocking your phone - search google for "unlock <mobile phone name/model>" and you'll be inundated with methods to unlock it. If that's too scary, once you settle on one - let me know and I can find the most reliable method to do it. OR, you can buy an unlocked one from eBay or check www.tigerdirect.com.

EDIT: Yeah - what MB said. The iPhone can be unlocked, but as soon as it is done Apple slams that door shut. Some people's phones have been bricked because of it.

Raptor2216

Forget everything else and buy yourself a Helio Ocean. I had verizon for 5 years and I just got sick a tired of their nickel and dime bullshit. Needless to say, I was not going to put up with it anymore and went over to helio.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Well after comparing all the big name smartphones and counting the costs, the winner so far is the BlackBerry 8820. The Palm Treo 750 would have it beat if it wasn't for the lack of integrated WiFi. That's out weighs the BB's lack of a camera and video recorder by quite a lot. Plus it is slightly cheaper than the iPhone, which I'm not too impressed with.