• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm at my wit's end concerning OCS and would appreciate insight.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somewhat off topic, but why is the Navy "laying off" (is that the right word?) highly-qualified, highly-trained aviators to make room for inexperienced, untrained applicants?

Because if you end up with a Squadron of only CDRs & Hinges, there'd be no ENSs/JGs to hassle, or LTs to referee. JOs, commonly known as 'flak magnets'!:rolleyes:
BzB

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Me, an OCS hopeful, after reading this thread.

1319738930_homer_simpson_hides_in_hedge.gif

shutout39

pilot
Missed both of my brothers weddings while at OCS. Would have been best man at both - those were crappy phone calls to make. Best decision I ever made though, flight suits are a hell of a lot easier to put on, and look better than tuxedos.

Renegade One

None
... you're basically replacing people who spent the better part of a decade and a half of their lives - and have cost the taxpayers untold millions of dollars - to get to that point....
I choose to believe that "the taxpayers" got WAAAY MORE than they could ever pay in that deal.

Ribwich

Okay, so after reading all of your wonderful, caring, and downright feelgood responses (some of you are true wordsmiths), I decided the best course of action would be to harden the fuck up. This is best vocalized here:

My reaction after reading some of this thread was basically filled with self loathing at my inadequacies, entitlement, etc. I realized I'll have to discard those if I want to make it, guess that's that. I called up my friend and told him I probably wouldn't be able to make it due to OCS. He was actually congratulating me on making it and saying essentially, "Fuck my wedding, go learn to fly planes." I guess it makes sense since his brother is an NFO and he grew up with him missing lots of shit due to the job. Thanks for the dose of reality, AW. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to burn off some of this motivational energy at the gym.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
So I'm thinking this thread should be mandatory reading for anyone thinking of starting a similar thread in the future? Maybe a pop-up that says..."Read this first..."

Rib - glad it sounds like you screwed your sh$t together...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I called up my friend and told him I probably wouldn't be able to make it due to OCS. He was actually congratulating me on making it and saying essentially, "Fuck my wedding, go learn to fly planes.".

That's cool Ribwich... I love when a well-intentioned "dogpile" turns that topside lightbulb flashing ON.:D Too often, reality (not what they wanted to hear), simply angers the OP, driving them into digging a deeper & deeper hole. Eventually, with a final departing sarcastic grenade, into eternal 'lurkism' (thankfully)!:rolleyes:

Your best friend appears to be just that, good on him!:cool:
BzB

Ribwich

So I'm thinking this thread should be mandatory reading for anyone thinking of starting a similar thread in the future? Maybe a pop-up that says..."Read this first..."

Rib - glad it sounds like you screwed your sh$t together...

Glad I could lead by example if this comes true.

MasterBates

I'm glad you got it.. Far too many guys think we are just assholes when we jump on shit like this.

The amount of pain you just got saved in your career by an early adjustment.. Is a lot.