• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

im an idiot. what to do?

tak

Im a freshman in college and right now im fellin pretty crappy. I applied at the begining of the year and got accepted to the plc program. I trained hard for it and scored a 285 on my pft. I did not really hardly ever talk to my OSO since then because he is in Ohio and i am in Virginia. Well, to put it blatently, i got dumb and cocky and i have my pre-ship pft in 1 week. My running is good, i avg about 17 30, but im not sure if i will pass the pullups. I think I am going to call my oso this afternoon and talk with him about this and see what he says. if i get disenrolled for this, will i be allowed to reapply next year as a sophmore? If not, what about after i graduate and go for the 10 week vs the two 6 weeks?

I know you may not believe me but all i really want to do is be in the marines and if they do not let me reapply i am thinking about enlisting for a couple years and then taking college classes at the same time and eventually apply for ocs again. thoughts anyone?
Thanks

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you had a 285, you must've had at least 17 pullups. How many can you do now? If you're worried about failing pullups, how did you lose so many in a year? If you're running a 17:30, you clearly didn't stop working out.

tak

i did. i got 17 pullups, but then i quit doin pullups and only ran/ core body workouts. i got 12 pullups yesterday but idk if i can do it again....maybe im just freaking out cus im not in as good as shape as i was a couple months ago....

2ndGen

Third times a charm
12 pullups is not failing. Not exactly what you want on your preship, but not failing. I have always gotten more pullups of PFTs than I could on my own or even working out with the PTAD LTs. Its just something about the PFTs. I thinkl you will be ok. Definatly talk to your OSO, so he knows what up before he comes out and you give something he is not expecting.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
You'll be fine man, especially with a run time like that. Moreover, you'll have a bit of 'competitive adrenaline' in you for the PFT and you will prob surprise yourself by doing more pullups than you thought - nerves should actually help you here ;).

You'll get even more of a confidence boost when you get to OCS and see that you are one of the fuckin gazelles that's allways smokin the runs (unlike an old 6'4 220lb defensive end like me - I'll kill the O-course but you can take that 10 mile run shit and shove it).

Bottom line, dont fret, you'll be fine. Good luck.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
It really makes me nervous about myself when somebody with a 17 min run and 17 pull-ups gets nervous about a PFT...

seriously man, you have nothing to worry about

takern

It really makes me nervous about myself when somebody with a 17 min run and 17 pull-ups gets nervous about a PFT...

seriously man, you have nothing to worry about

Its 12 pullups now... and i think the main reason i am worried is that because i read if your score drops the oso can decide not to send you to OCS because of not being motivated, and i know im not gonna score as high as last time. i know i can get a first class score. just to help i just did 10 pullups after a class. right before class i did 6 reps of 6.....

a bit off topic, but when doing the crunches is there anyway to incorperate your upper ab muscels more? maybe by moving your butt a bit from your heels? i think im gonna experiment with this tonight after my run.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about it

Run fast, do as many pullups as you can, and get 100 crunches like everyone does.. 225+ easily

After start working on your upper body strength for OCS

takern

trust me, this was a major wake up call for me that i need to grow up. time to start living in the real world where natural talent isnt enough

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

a bit off topic, but when doing the crunches is there anyway to incorperate your upper ab muscels more? maybe by moving your butt a bit from your heels? i think im gonna experiment with this tonight after my run.

That also increases the distance your torso must travel for a legal crunch. That's why everyone tries butt-to-heels. Your mileage may vary, so experimentation can't hurt.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
To work your upper abs more at the gym grab one of those ab rollers they usually have laying around. Lay down in the thing with your head on the pad, one hand on the bar that curves over your head and lift your legs off of the ground. Crunch forward just enough to lift your shoulders off of the ground. Do this at a fast pace for 50 reps. Then try them on each side to work your core evenly and one more set straight forward to finish. In total you should do 200 crunches in one round of this excercise. The lower you keep your legs to the ground the more difficult this will be. Your upper abs will be burning, guaranteed. Do this once as a warm up and once as a cool down for your normal workout at least 3 times a week.

takern

thanks for the ab workout idea, but its the opposite of that lol. my upper abs are grossly strong, i can do 200+ normal crunches in a row. its my lower abs that are the weaker of the set. thats why i was wondering if it would be easier for me to move back a bit and use my uppers more. thanks again though

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I assume your OSO is working with you on this but it's also a good idea to be sure your form is pretty good when whipping out those pull ups and crunches.

A word to the wise I know at least 1 candidate who was counting on making up for a sucky run time with his pull ups during the initial PFT at OCS. He ended up having several not count because of poor form. He didn't know they weren't going to count until after he finished. He's at TBS now so he found a way. You will too.

Break break....Slammer did you hear about Charlie's initial TBS PFT?

The slowest run time was scored by a female Lt that ran a 22:30. There were mucho 300 scores.

Smokin......