• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS? What's up with it?

georgiaboy

Hi, so I've been reading about IFS lately and i'm sort of confused. Do NROTC midshipmen go through IFS before commisioning, or after commissioning/graduation? Very little is ever mentioned about IFS. When is it normally taken by NROTC midshipmen? Thanks, and any other details about IFS would be appreciated. I dont have a private pilots license, and probably wont by college graduation. Thanks so much.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
IFS happens when you get down here. Don't sweat it if you have zero flight experience whatsoever coming in. Just go fly and have fun. Two weeks of ground school and ten flights. There's a bit of a learning curve in the beginning of actual flying since it's the first time, but by the end you can land the little plane exactly where you want it every time. If its role is a prelim screener/get the feet wet for brand new Ensigns, it's not too bad of a program.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It used to be that MIDN's did IFS before they commissioned, but that hasn't been the case for a number of years. You will commission, check into NASC in Pensacola, and then wait around and get classed up for IFS if it applies to you (see above). Then after you finish that, you are free to begin API and the rest of flight school.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
IFS happens when you get down here. Don't sweat it if you have zero flight experience whatsoever coming in. Just go fly and have fun. Two weeks of ground school and ten flights. There's a bit of a learning curve in the beginning of actual flying since it's the first time, but by the end you can land the little plane exactly where you want it every time. If its role is a prelim screener/get the feet wet for brand new Ensigns, it's not too bad of a program.

If you mean "land the plane on the runway" then yes. Exactly where you want it? Still working on that one almost 2 years later.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You sound envious of the amazing helicopter's ability to land in a predetermined exact spot on the ground.

Getting the helicopter to agree with the pilot on the location of said predetermined exact spot... now that's the trick.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If you mean "land the plane on the runway" then yes. Exactly where you want it? Still working on that one almost 2 years later.

The good thing about flying the ball is that everything is decided for you. No matter how proactive your ball flying becomes, it still decides for you. It was funny to come here and have to think for myself exactly where the jet was going to land. The Prowlers at Cherry Point do it all without a HUD or a lens...The humanity.

You sound envious of the amazing helicopter's ability to land in a predetermined exact spot on the ground.

Once you knock out the ROHO and the drift, it is in fact easier to stop and then land than it is to land and then stop.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Out of curiousity, who is conducting the IFS program these days? Years back I used to flight instruct and a number of my students were AFROTC guys doing their version of what was called IFT I believe at the time. I only did one IFS student and he was from VMI and ultimately wound up as a Marine flying Prowlers, so I was very proud to have been the one that initially solo'd him. Although, he could probably fly circles around an old fart like me wearing bi-focals flying from point-A-to-point-B and staying in a hotel half the month.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
IFS is contracted out to civilian flight schools in the area. Can be in Milton, at Pensacola Regional, Jack Edwards, Foley...to name a few.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Slight resurrection. I got my PPL when I was 17 years old and have used it maybe five times since then. Since I'll be exempt from IFS, would it be worthwhile for me to bust out the Jeppesen book and brush up on some of that knowledge before API?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Seconded. Drink beer on the beach, check out O'Zone Pizza and the Wisteria Tavern, road trip to Biloxi and take money off the Hard Rock, check out New Orleans, etc. Everything you need to know for API will be told to you, issued in a book, or taught in a class.