• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS? What's up with it?

Planeform

pilot
I've heard trickles of info about IFS being discontinued as a Navy program....I don't think it will exist in the next FY.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IFS has been eyed as a "nice to have, but we could live without it" budget item for several years. I'm not in the CNATRA budget gossip loop anymore, but I'm sure that's still the case. Personally, I think it gives great value for the money, both to catch the guys who just want to wear a flight suit and won't put in the brain-sweat required, and to give the studs a taste of flying and decide whether it's for them before they get too far down the road.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
I'm waiting for my solo/check-ride for IFS. Overall, it's a great program. I came in with 20 hours of flight time, and I still learned a lot, to say nothing of the fact that it's a pretty sweet deal; hang out in P-cola, fly for a few hours, hang out some more. Plus, I'd imagine it dampens the shock of taking a guy/gal who has never flown before and putting them in the cockpit of a military aircraft. Don't know how true that is, just my hunch.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Plus, I'd imagine it dampens the shock of taking a guy/gal who has never flown before and putting them in the cockpit of a military aircraft.

That's kind of like saying jerking off might lessen the shock of losing your virginity. In reality - You still don't know what the fuck your doing anyways.

but good luck...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
IFS has been eyed as a "nice to have, but we could live without it" budget item for several years. I'm not in the CNATRA budget gossip loop anymore, but I'm sure that's still the case. Personally, I think it gives great value for the money, both to catch the guys who just want to wear a flight suit and won't put in the brain-sweat required, and to give the studs a taste of flying and decide whether it's for them before they get too far down the road.
Deputy Commodore of TW5 made the comment that CNATRA was tired of debating over IFS funding every year and decided to give it a permanant spot and end the yearly haggling over scrapping the program. Apparantly the program is going to be around for a while.