• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Struggles

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I thought I sucked balls on my PPL checkride. It was some of my worst flying. I thought for certain that I failed it, but I figured I was paying for the airplane so I may as well keep pushing and see what happens. I ended up passing. Being your own worst critic is sometimes a great thing, but if left unchecked it'll bite you in the ass pretty hard.

Remember, it's not over until the examiner says you busted the ride. Give it hell!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Then you have to put your head down and keep marching. What I saw was a sniviling cry for help. That won't cut it in my world or the real world.
Either you can do the job or you can't and that is what IFS does. There are no shortcuts or someone to wipe your ass.
What are you going to do when some raghead with an RPG tries to shoot down your ass? Gonna go cry for help ?? Sorry. No sympathy here.
Semper Fi
Rocky

I guess we weren't all born with the natural ability to fly. Many of us had to ask for help. I don't know what the hell your problem is, but your attitude of shitting on someone asking for help is not going to fly around here.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur. I honestly dont think that IFS can in almost anyway gauge a kids future potential in Naval Aviation. If a guy with gold wings on his chest says "you aren't cutting it" so be it. But I wonder about IFS sometimes.

I did the precursor to IFS and honestly it made me want to be a tank commander.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You're gonna have to go into that flight with some confidence. Thinking you're going to fail is not going to help with anything. If you're struggling in IFS, Primary is going to be a big struggle. How badly do you want it?

trongod46

pilot
dimlight..
definately try and get some clarity on whatever issues you are having before your check,,
all this crap about being a quiter is bs, if you can see the writing on the wall dont fly your check only to get downed.
talk to the military officer in charge with your issues and see what help he can give or other students who have finished,
with all do respect Rocky is full of it, im not sure of his background but to compare IFS to getting shot at with RPG's is a bit of stretch lets put 172 training into perspective here.

You have 20 hours maybe.

So, Identify what you need help with and get someone to explain it to you... do you understand the concept of chairflying yet? Get someone who has finished and walk you through the flight. Then in your room set down close your eyes and do the whole flight making all calls and motions as your flying.

Good luck. youll be fine.
Pappy Boyington down several flights in flight school and went to like 2 boards. your in good company

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was really nervous for my IFS checkrides, especially my 2nd since because of weather and Christmas leave I had effectively not landed a plane in almost 4 weeks when I did it, but again, like everyone has said, I went in with the attitude that I was going to pass. Anxiety is ok and normal and so even is fear that you won't pass since it's a legitimate fear, but channel that nervousness into attention to detail and efforts into your procedures.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice that I have gotten here. My last 3 lessons have gone considerably better and I definitely feel more confident in what I'm doing. In my previous posts I was trying to just be realistic about what I was experiencing. Now I can be realistic and say that I feel confident that I am going to pass. Call it an epiphany or whatever but in the last couple of days everything seemed to click and I now feel like I'm flying the airplane rather than the airplane flying me.

Checkride here I come!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My last 3 lessons have gone considerably better and I definitely feel more confident in what I'm doing.

Checkride here I come!

Pretty common for different students to have the lightbulb above their head come on at different times (no pun intended at your username). Pretty common for that lightbulb to pop right away too, and again, and again... Just keep at it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They didn't have IFS when I went through. I got pretty nervous during mid-stage FAMS, though. Honestly, it's just a matter of manning up and just doing it. Make sure you know your knowledge cold, show up to the brief, and make it happen. Lay it all out on the table and know that pass or down, you did everything you could to succeed. What's the worst the military can make you do? Shave your head and make you join the Marines? Too late. Chesty Puller attrited and he did all right.

On the other hand, DOR and you've done to yourself what you feared they would do to you.

Of course, this presupposes you're already working hard.

I am by no means a "you're a winner just for trying hard" kind of guy. You either meet the standard or you don't. But, if you go all in, and your next draw is a deuce, at least you had skin in the game.

FlyinRock

dimlight..
definately try and get some clarity on whatever issues you are having before your check,,
all this crap about being a quiter is bs, if you can see the writing on the wall dont fly your check only to get downed.
talk to the military officer in charge with your issues and see what help he can give or other students who have finished,
with all do respect Rocky is full of it, im not sure of his background but to compare IFS to getting shot at with RPG's is a bit of stretch lets put 172 training into perspective here.

You have 20 hours maybe.

So, Identify what you need help with and get someone to explain it to you... do you understand the concept of chairflying yet? Get someone who has finished and walk you through the flight. Then in your room set down close your eyes and do the whole flight making all calls and motions as your flying.

Good luck. youll be fine.
Pappy Boyington down several flights in flight school and went to like 2 boards. your in good company
I fell short of a good explanation of what I was driving at. If a student can't handle the pressure of a "sanitary" simple C-172 in the normal training mode, what are they going to do when the going gets harsh?
I'm not some new guy building time with 25K hours logged, and I HAVE been shot at AND HIT so I'm not just blowing smoke. I did a PM with this youngster and tried to explain it better along with a qualified apology.
Trying to hold someones hand all thru the IFS process is not doing anyone any favors. The military, the student, the IFS program. I've done a lot of the remedial flights after a student failed a phase check and have been fairly successful with them. I was also blunt when I felt they didn't have the aptitude, or the proper motivation, or whatever. Pretty much let my reputation speak for itself with the students that have flown with me. I can be a hard ass, and I let people know it right up front. This is a serious program and if someone thinks they can coast thru it like many did in college, they are in for a rude shock! OTOH, there are more than a few who were really struggling and I helped them get over the humps in spite of what others thought or suggested.
My attitude here was fostered by the spate of NFO studs who had a crap attitude and expected us to go easy on them because they wern't in a pilot seat. I know I have offended a few with my posts and not being PC but I'm not gonna change my ways at this late stage of my life.
I also use the Boyington analogy from time to time to make a point.
Best personal regards and
Semper Fi
Rocky