• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Struggles

FlyinRock

Nothing, gives me more pleasure, than to see a motivated student press on through hard times and prevail.
I can't begin to say how many times I have seen a motivated student with problems, will get through when someone who just seems to go through the motions, and pass with no thought.
I recently went through another experience with a student who was highly motivated, did serious study, lots of chair flying, interacted with other students, and ultimately prevailed. Ooorahh
You have no idea how that pleases me as an instructor. I'm just part of the process but a damned important one in the early stages.
Damn I feel good to see another one of my fledglings get kicked out of the nest and find his way to fly with eagles.
Whoaaaa and OooRah
Semper Fi
Rocky

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Great job Rocky! I'm sure you're ability to stay motivated as an instructor flows through to your students.

yak52driver

Contributor
As a civilian fight instructor I share how you feel. Some students are naturals, but it's the ones that work hard to succeed that feel the best. Congratulations on the win!! :D

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Just took my first IFS flight today. Not in your school Rocky but still a hell of a time!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just took my first IFS flight today. Not in your school Rocky but still a hell of a time!

So you're in that IFS Platoon that we see every morning. Can't wait to get there... Delta starts up soon...

ON another note, we got word today that the Mike Co staff is looking for volunteers to get IFS done now and class up with Echo instead of Delta. I declined...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think (judging from my own experiences) what troubles early student pilots is their constant looking over at the other seat and expecting the IP to direct the flight. Maybe this was just me, but I think a lack of leadership/assertiveness is a point that could be easily improved with focus.

I remember a point in my training (probably more in advanced than anywhere else) where I suddenly thought to myself "Hey! I am training to be a Naval-fucking-Aviator, not an SNA!" And from that point on, I tried more and more to take charge of the cockpit tasks and the flight in general (in the manner that the training command allows) and the organization and flow of the hop was much better. Stick and rudder skills either come or they don't. But I think a lot of students could benefit from getting in their heads from day one that they are training to be AIRCRAFT COMMANDERS and that they should learn all the pertinent knowledge and when the chocks come out, THEY are in charge of the hop and their training.

If anyone with wings disagrees with me, then by all means, I'm all ears.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I think (judging from my own experiences) what troubles early student pilots is their constant looking over at the other seat and expecting the IP to direct the flight. Maybe this was just me, but I think a lack of leadership/assertiveness is a point that could be easily improved with focus.

I remember a point in my training (probably more in advanced than anywhere else) where I suddenly thought to myself "Hey! I am training to be a Naval-fucking-Aviator, not an SNA!" And from that point on, I tried more and more to take charge of the cockpit tasks and the flight in general (in the manner that the training command allows) and the organization and flow of the hop was much better. Stick and rudder skills either come or they don't. But I think a lot of students could benefit from getting in their heads from day one that they are training to be AIRCRAFT COMMANDERS and that they should learn all the pertinent knowledge and when the chocks come out, THEY are in charge of the hop and their training.

If anyone with wings disagrees with me, then by all means, I'm all ears.

I don't have wings, but I have to agree with what you're saying. Essentially, we are trying to become professional aviators. This is our profession, we are getting paid to do it. So take charge and don't be reliant on an instructor doing the work for you. I was actually thinking the same thing prior to my first flight in IFS, that this is what I am trying to do for a living, I am trying to become a pilot-in-command of a Navy aircraft.

An instructor pilot told me once a couple years ago when I was a middie that when I eventually get down to Pensacola, "Don't fly like a pu**y. Have confidence."

Slammer2

Contributor
So you're in that IFS Platoon that we see every morning. Can't wait to get there... Delta starts up soon...

ON another note, we got word today that the Mike Co staff is looking for volunteers to get IFS done now and class up with Echo instead of Delta. I declined...

I'm supposed to be, but the Manassas people haven't been going to the morning formation since we have to leave early to get to the airport on time. The Dulles guys didnt have class until later so they would show up in the morning.

Slammer2

Contributor
Finally got to do my first solo today after getting pushed back 3 days because of weather. What a rush! Now if only I didnt have to go back to TBS after IFS :)

FlyinRock

Congratulations on solo.
That is the first of many steps on the way to becoming an aviator.
May I comment on your tag line?
Inspect for what you expect and look for that which you don't.
Semper Fi
Rocky