• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Pink Slips and API PRB

stgcst

Is it fairly "typical" for an API class to lose students due to drops or rollbacks? How common is it for a class to complete without losing anyone?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's very uncommon for a class to go through without gaining or losing anyone. Students are always rolling for swim problems, academics, head cold so they can't do the pressure chamber, etc etc. Most of the class will start and finish together, however.

As far as what happens to you if you DOR or attrite: it's up to the redes board in Millington. The general rule right now is OCS'ers are discharged "for convenience of the government", USNA, BDCP, and ROTC (IOW, if you owe the gov't time and money) are redes'ed, most likely to SWO. However comma they reserve the right to kick out undesireables and to keep in folks who are working hard but just don't have the chops for Navy Air, no matter where you got your commission.

So the lesson in that is twofold: if you're going down, go down swinging; and don't come in to P'cola thinking you can DOR and skate with a free education.

stgcst

Makes sense, people rolling in/out. Is there any one particular academic area that causes more issues? With everything I've read either here or elsewhere it looks like AERO and NAV present the most problems. A couple people mentioned WEATHER and no one has said they have heard of anyone failing ENGINES. Also it appears that FR&R doesn't give people too many problems as long as they study.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Makes sense, people rolling in/out. Is there any one particular academic area that causes more issues? With everything I've read either here or elsewhere it looks like AERO and NAV present the most problems. A couple people mentioned WEATHER and no one has said they have heard of anyone failing ENGINES. Also it appears that FR&R doesn't give people too many problems as long as they study.

Nav is the toughest simply because its the only course that isn't "only memorization". You actually have to learn how to do the navigation, then be able to do it on the test. Aero 1 and 2 are tough just becasue it is a lot of information, especially if you're not coming from an aviation background. Weather, FR&R, and Engines are easy (if you put in the required effort toward studying).

Random Task

pilot
However comma they reserve the right to kick out undesireables and to keep in folks who are working hard but just don't have the chops for Navy Air, no matter where you got your commission.

Just to add to that, I know a couple OCS guys that got redesignated vice getting kicked. It's not the norm however not extremely rare that no one has heard of any OCSers getting redes either.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Also it appears that FR&R doesn't give people too many problems as long as they study.

None of it should give you trouble as long as you study. The problem is that the people in the program are overall a talented group of people. Perhaps they haven't ever had to work all that hard (in comparison as to how hard they'll have to work to get where they're trying to go).

In other words, it's all about study habits. If you don't have them already, you have to develop them.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would say don't suck. That means don't fail. It's not that hard, any of this stuff. If you have problems in IFS and API, you will have issues in primary...judging from my experience.

Concur. It's your full time job to study and be (over) prepared.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
If you fail FR&R you get jets:D

...studied gouge for about 30 min. Live and learn I guess.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I thought nav was the easiest test b/c there were no bs trick questions. I did all the practice problems in the book multiple times just for the repetition and aced the test.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the thing I've observed about API studs and these tests - it's good to listen to gouge about what kinds of things are on the tests, bad to listen to gouge on how tough the test is. One guy might be a freak of nature with a photographic memory, doesn't mean it'll be easy for you.

I teach Weather and FR&R, the two "easiest" API tests, yet every class I have at least two failures on both (about the same number as fail Nav, Aero, etc). Quite a few of those failures blew off studying Wx because they were worrying about Aero, and failed FR&R because they were sweating the Nav test.

Pink sheets are all weighted the same. You've got six tests in four weeks. Study your ass off for all of them, and save your pink sheet allowance for the bad days you're bound to have in the VT's.

phrogpilot73

There is a story in there somewhere... do tell.
It happened when I was classing up for Primary. Here's the NTSB factual, the guy was a Marine who already had a PPL before starting flight school. He rocked out because of an inability to pass FR&R. He ended up getting stationed up in Ft Meade (as a SIGINT guy) and PSW worked with him. He doesn't know that I know it's him... :D

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It happened when I was classing up for Primary. Here's the NTSB factual, the guy was a Marine who already had a PPL before starting flight school. He rocked out because of an inability to pass FR&R. He ended up getting stationed up in Ft Meade (as a SIGINT guy) and PSW worked with him. He doesn't know that I know it's him... :D

Whoa! Great find. I could have sworn he triple-flunked Nav though (which would be all the more ironic- fuel management) but maybe I have that detail wrong in my head.