• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS...how much does your performance matter?

dariank619

Hey everybody. I was talking to one of my buddies and was told that since I'd be entering Pensacola with 0 flight hours, I'd have to complete IFS. He also said that my performance there would play a role in competing for platform selection later on down the line. Would anyone be so kind as to enlighten me on the importance of IFS and what it's really all about? Obviously I want to do my best, but I'm considering taking some practice lessons before I get there just to make sure I'm at least a little on my game...

red_ryder

None
Yeah, it's really important. IFS has been the single most helpful thing up until this point, and I'm in intermediate. It's designed for people with no flight time, and you shouldn't have a big problem getting through if you work hard, but if you really have the money to blow a couple hours wouldn't hurt.

Personally, I recommend you save it. IFS is such a small part of your flight career in the long run.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
IFS is basically learning how not to kill yourself in a Cessna/Traumahawk. Depending on the location, you get formal ground school, about 25 hours of flight time, and a couple of checkrides thrown in for "fun". I don't think spending the extra $$$ is necessary to do well in IFS/API, etc. As for the amount that IFS/API affects your Primary NSS for selection, it's next to nothing in the scheme of things.

Just concentrate on learning to fly and doing your best - it's WAY TOO EARLY to get sucked into the NSS voodoo game!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Far as I know, how you perform in IFS (all the Navy sees is a completion letter and your FAA exam scores) doesn't matter by the letter of the law for platform selection, but the skills you learn there will be ABSOLUTELY important for platform selection, because it sets the tone by which the rest of your flight training will be conducted. If you go into IFS with a slacker attitude, you won't make it. If you go into IFS thinking its your job and you should be performing it to the best of your abilities, you'll do fine.

I remember thinking that the skills are not 100% transferable, but the general principles of flight are identical. Master those, and you'll be fine.

And for the love of all that is holy, pay attention when your instructor teaches you how to land! :D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Christ, not even in IFS and already sweating NSS?

IFS is screening - screening for aptitude, adaptability (i.e., non-puking) and willingness to study and work hard. "How well you do" doesn't enter into it. I hate to say it's pass/fail, but...

UMichfly

pilot
None
Christ, not even in IFS and already sweating NSS?

IFS is screening - screening for aptitude, adaptability (i.e., non-puking) and willingness to study and work hard. "How well you do" doesn't enter into it. I hate to say it's pass/fail, but...

+1 Million...although part of the screening is whether or not you can study and learn in the fashion necessary in Primary and beyond.

And for the love of all that is holy, pay attention when your instructor teaches you how to land! :D

Uhh....might not wanna get too comfy landing like that or you'll get laughed out of the non-boxed, no flaring pattern down the road. ;)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Just think about it this way. If you come in with a private pilot's license, you skip IFS. Thats how important it is in the pipeline. Its a check in the box and nothing more.

FlyinRock

Ive been an instructor in the IFS program for nearly five years now. Am getting some feedback from guys who came thru with me and are now winged and operational. When they left IFS I asked them to please stay in touch and give me feedback on the program and how it could be changed or modified to help future studs.
Most of them said that the way I taught helped them tremendously all the way thru the different stages from API, Primary, Advanced and on. I'm know I'm not the only one but I have that advantage of experience out in the real world and know how fast it can turn to a shit sanwich. In IFS it is both a screening process, and a training one. Many don't realize how critical that first 25 hours is in laying the foundation for the rest of their careers. I DO. It continues to amaze me that a stud can develop a bad habit in :10 minutes and it will take the next 1000+ hours to cure them of it.
If a stud comes into the program with a positive attitude instead of a party one they should do fine. If they do not have the aptitude for aviation, that is the whole purpose for the IFS program. It is so much more cost effective to determine that in light aircraft instead of spending hundreds of thousands in turbo-prop aircraft.
It is an intensive 6-7 weeks and you need to study and work at it just like a typical 8 hour job - not just the few hours you are actually at the IFS facility.
Semper Fi
Rocky

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Of course we get students that go through IFS and still suck. Yet a Capstone project I read from a grad student at ERAU showed that IFS helps reduce the number of attrites though I'm not sure if the MPTS grading system helped in that regard.

batesdl

Recreational Pilot's License

Does anyone know if you can skip IFS with a Recreational Pilot's License. I know a private will skip IFS but was not sure about a recreational. Thanks,

Dan

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of them said that the way I taught helped them tremendously all the way thru the different stages from API, Primary, Advanced and on. I'm know I'm not the only one...

Of course we get students that go through IFS and still suck. Yet a Capstone project I read from a grad student at ERAU showed that IFS helps reduce the number of attrites though I'm not sure if the MPTS grading system helped in that regard.

I'd agree that if you work hard in IFS, there's a better chance that you'll work hard in Primary. Then again, if you worked hard through college then there's probably a good chance you'll work hard through flight school. Students make the same mistakes in the T-34 regardless of experience. It seems though that the earlier a student can master basic airwork (+/- 100', 10KIAS, and 10 degrees of heading) the better they become at all maneuvers. Those with primary flight time seem to pick this up faster. That of course has no bearing on the rest of flying (memorizing EPs and normal procedures, situational awareness, and quick decision making, etc.). Prior flight time will help you in one area but will probably not help you out in the latter (with the exceptions of those taught how to study pre-Primary).

In a nutshell, NSS is how you compare against your peers, so you have to judge what advantages/disadvantages there are to having prior flight time. Will that flight time mean you'll have better BAW. Probably. Does that mean you'll do better than average when it comes to studying, learning, and executing what's taught in the FTI? Probably not. How much incremental difference is your NSS possibly going to be if you're not better than average in both areas? It's basic economics: what are the incentives created, and what are the additional costs? Is it worth it?

BrittO

pilot
Ifs

Its pass or fail...people do fail or realise that flying is not for them.
It does not affect your NSS, nor should you be worried about that. As have been said many times and I will repeat, do your best and get what you get with no regrets. You will love whatever platform you get.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I had a blast at IFS. I just have my final check ride and cross country solo left. Can't wait for the big kid toys