• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS...how much does your performance matter?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
IFS didn't exist when I went through but I did have 30 hours of civilian flight time (several solo's but no cross country's) so probably similar in that regard. I would say it helped me in a few things, taxi, radios, scan, basically a little bit of confidence when first getting into the aircraft and flying. After the first few FAM's though, that experience was all used up.

Had a Saudi recently who after 10 flights in the C4000 block was still +/-700ft, +/-60 degrees of heading, went to the landing pattern twice in 10 flights due to bad BAW, barely able to start the aircraft without IP input, could not taxi, etc, etc. I wonder if IFS would have helped to eliminate him prior to beginning?? He was recently attrited btw.

FlyinRock

Bunk
Given what you said, he probably would not have made it to syllabus lesson #6 in IFS. But, we generally don't get any foreign students per se.
As far as I know, all are US citizens but many are foreign born/raised. I've not seen any trend as far as their overall capability or performance.
I've been involved in many foreign training programs and have seen the full gamut of performance. It really depends on the country of origin and for PC I'll refrain from identifying the worst. But, most are middle east and African.
Semper Fi
Rocky

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Saudi's need something like IFS but tough to get them flying in civilian schools for obvious reasons.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Was the Navy ever interested in running an IFS program itself, similar to how our lighter blue brothers do it in Pueblo? AFAIK they have nothing but retired AD guys as IPs, and send everyone thru one IFS location...

It's got a bunch of the UPT gayness built into it (standup, formal brief, formal release etc) but, the AF seems like they have wayyy more control and standardization of the syllabus. (I'm not saying i'd trade my time in destin for anything, especially not AF style flight school gayness, but Bunk's saying about the difficulty of getting Saudi's flying in the civilian world made me wonder why we use civilian schools)

Anyone know the reasoning behind going the part 141 school route for the Navy? Was it just cheaper?