• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Gouge

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
For those of you complaining about the computer training, realize that this is how its now being done even in the fleet. After IFS, primary and advanced were filled with CAI's. In the FRS, those CAIs became ICW's, with computerized lectures (CAIs) and tests (IGRs). Now, in my fleet squadron, we are dealing with ACOLs. Prepare to spend a lot of time learning in front of a computer screen, as painful as it sounds.

pretty much this

lots of crying about sitting in front of a computer and even someone coming along and saying this is somehow in contrast to military training... where you got that idea is totally beyond me.

hell just yesterday i didn't even see the sun, didn't leave the building for 12 hours. a few hours in an FBO looks pretty good.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I love the ACOLs because you get to go over to the weapons school, check into a huge fucking safe, sever all connection to the outside world, and stare at a computer screen in a windowless room. It's all the things I love in one happy place :D

NVACE69

Just so you know... AF IFS not only screens the aviation abilities it is used to indoctrinate the AF flight student to exactly how AF Primary Flight Training is conducted.... The Navy IFS program has migrated from just screening to prepping students for PFT. It is an ongoing process and until the Navy gets onboard with the training value of IFS we will have to continue doing the best we can with what we have. But the data does show that IFS students from the last couple years are doing better in API and PFT. Regardless what all the people that talk out of their ass say. Yes, it is hard, Yes it requires a lot of study time, and Yes it is stressful....but compared to PFT it is easy. Get your mind and goals focused and become a professional aviator! Don't waste a chance of a lifetime!

FlyinRock

Just so you know... AF IFS not only screens the aviation abilities it is used to indoctrinate the AF flight student to exactly how AF Primary Flight Training is conducted.... The Navy IFS program has migrated from just screening to prepping students for PFT. It is an ongoing process and until the Navy gets onboard with the training value of IFS we will have to continue doing the best we can with what we have. But the data does show that IFS students from the last couple years are doing better in API and PFT. Regardless what all the people that talk out of their ass say. Yes, it is hard, Yes it requires a lot of study time, and Yes it is stressful....but compared to PFT it is easy. Get your mind and goals focused and become a professional aviator! Don't waste a chance of a lifetime!
I'm certainly not arguing with you but I'd like to know or hear your point of reference.
Are you an instructor or student or admin ??? It sounds like you have some insight and experience and its all potentially helpful for the newbies. My whole attitude is focused on giving every student I come in contact with the very best that I can give them in terms of the program and my experience to make them the best, and perhaps even more than they thought possible. When it gets down to the bottom line, we are all part of the defense of our country and when I'm gone, I want the best defending my family.
Semper Fi
Rocky

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Coastie here...finished IFS in October. We are still getting 25 hours because the CG determined it helps in the long run. I came from a ship and was determined not to go back. Studied very hard the first week then realized I was wasting time. They give you the questions/answers so it becomes plain memorization. The flying is a lot of fun; I was at AMS. Wish it didn't stop.

santanaf5eb

I finished IFS a week before thanksgiving and had a blast the entire time. I just wish that we could have received more flight time for those who wish to increase their flight experience. I am a firm believer in hands on training.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
I finished IFS a week before thanksgiving and had a blast the entire time. I just wish that we could have received more flight time for those who wish to increase their flight experience. I am a firm believer in hands on training.

Where'd you go for IFS?

sickboy

pilot
A) Don't be afraid to IMSAFE out of a flight if somethings not right
B) If there's something jacked up about your final leg just go around. (AKA don't have a major brain fart like I did today and risk cross controlling)

ccxc

What is the actual set-up at IFS? 1. Do you start in Quantico or Pensacola if you are a Marine? 2. What are the days like? 3. Study then go fly? Just curious adn also when do you actuall solo in the 13.5 hours?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
What is the actual set-up at IFS? 1. Do you start in Quantico or Pensacola if you are a Marine? 2. What are the days like? 3. Study then go fly? Just curious adn also when do you actuall solo in the 13.5 hours?

1. Not sure about that one. I'll let a Marine speak to that one.

2. Days are long. You have ground school for 2 weeks and sit in front of the computer all day and do the lessons and exams and stuff. After ground school its a bit better. You'll fly everyday or whenever you're on the flight schedule....depending on where you do IFS.

3. Study for 2 weeks THEN go fly and fly some more.

4. You Solo once you finish your checkride and your "safe to solo"

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

This changes on what seems like a monthly basis. A little over a year ago they shut down IFS in Manassass and all the Marines came down to Pcola, checked into MATSG and did IFS at AMS in Milton. Sounds like some Marines are doing the program at Skywarrior at KPNS. Manassass might start back up again, if it hasn't already. And then there are the rumors that the Marine Corps doesn't have the money for IFS and is going to make it go away. Your mileage WILL vary by the time you are ready for the whole IFS/API/Primary deal (assuming your profile is correct and the earliest you'll be at OCS is this summer).

Hell, we were put into classes at Manassass (some guys had already signed leases) and then we were told the money dried up and that we were going to go to API without IFS right away. We had orders to report to MATSG within a week. Then we got down to MATSG and we waited... and waited... and waited some more...