• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS for NFO is TRUE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Thanks. Frankly, I know nothing about aviation in general so I guess this will help a lot. Now if they only didn't stash me for six months only for me to learn that I would be stashed some more once I got there. I figure, at this rate, I will be half way to my twenty years before I even get winged.

onee

DaVinci, I need some advice.
I started flying, 3 hours so far. However, it's sooooo expensive, and I'm quickly going broke. Is it really worth it to get ahead or should I just relax and wait till I get to IFS?
I have been selected for pilot, however, I think I might end up with NFO because vision is borderline.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Onegembu,
I attempted the same thing. I wanted to get my PPL, but it was so expensive. I took two intro flights at the "introductory" rate, and it was still way to much money. I've decided to wait for NIFS. That'll be an awesome experience. My $.02

Fredster809

I applied for NFO recently, but even if accepted won't be going until July 04(at the earliest). If I do get accepted can I do IFS locally while I am waiting to go to OCS???

cesteele

I posted this under the API section, but I'll put it again here. I spoke with the folks at IFS yesterday and they said there is a temporary freeze on SNFO's going through it. They said there was a shortage in the training pipeline somewhere and so right now no SNFO's are going to do it until a later date. They were not specific on the date. The lady said everything could be different in a month or two, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck to all!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Quote by DaVinci:
"You get up to 13.5 hrs of pilot-in-command hours and you have to complete it in 40 days."

The time is not PIC time. You must be a licensed pilot to log time as pilot in command.

The time you get is Dual time (when the IP is in the plane) and solo time when he/she is not.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I also went through NIFS up at PAC and I think it was a pretty good experience. The Piper and the Warrior were just painfully slow, though... haha

Really, it won't be enough to give you a decisive advantage unless you... errr... really take advantage of it. The Nav part will give you a good leg up, doing the cross countries and timing et cetera was good experience. Also got some instrument approaches in, which was invaluable. Knowing a little bit about FR&R was nice, though that's so easy you'll learn it in API anyways. And make sure your instructor lets you make as many radio calls as possible, you'll really get thrown in the deep end during Primary, so get used to it...

I know I also benefited a lot from getting into the landing pattern a few times... in NFO primary those are easy, easy points to score if you can kill it hard.

Fredster809

Turnand burn, what percentage of NFO's you went to primary with went to IFS?? also how long did it take for OCS guys to start IFS??? I go in June and am just curious for some recent numbers, thanks.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Fredster-
Afraid I can't be too much help for you there. As I understood it, only 45 NFOs went through IFS this past year, it was just an experimental program. There's a fair number here in Primary right now who were in IFS, but by no means a majority. Thing is, it's all going to change by the time you're in, CNET was saying it should be mandatory by then, but I don't have any real insight into the matter...

I didn't go through OCS, so I really don't know what the timetable is. I would expect it could vary, though... folks in A-pool sometimes wait around forever, some move right through...

Status
Not open for further replies.