• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS for NFO is TRUE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiani

Yeah, but who would want to be a Nav in the Air Force?
eyebrows_125.gif

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Just wanted to bump this and see if anyone has actually gone through with it yet? I would like to see how it is. Thanks.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
So has anyone gone through/started with SNFO IFS yet? I'm not doubting the original poster and his information about it. I would just like to hear of anyone that has gotten word that he/she is starting or will be starting. Thanks.

savingthisone

Lots of SNFO from Naval Academy and some NROTC units have done IFS. In addition to the syllabus posting, there is a directive out that all SNFO's will complete IFS. Just a matter of logistics in starting a new program, and lots of unanswered question such as; if your NROTC units is not close to a 141 school what do you do? A new program, wonderful program, just a few bumps in the road until it is "routine".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is what I want to know... Because they have NIFS now have they deleted the portion of primary where you guys get to climb in the front seat of the T-34 or T-6 and get pilot type training? This just sounds a little too good. The thought may have been to put SNFOs through NIFS since it would be cheaper to contract for it in a light civil aircraft then do it in a complex turbine. I'd hate to trade time in a T-6 for time in a Cessna 172 at even a two for one rate. Still, the good news is that it would go in your log book as civil pilot time toward a private ticket. If the program does not require (doubt if it does), then get your student pilot certificate before IFS. That way you can legally log the time and the CFI sign it off in a civilian log book. A student pilot certificate is just a third class medical. Find a FAA aermedical doc and take the physical. He issues the medical certificate/student pilot ticket right there.

savingthisone

bigeyes2_125.gif
Wink: Does not replace current FAM flights in the T-6.

Under NIFS, SNFO's are expected to complete their solo cross country, ergo they will need third class medical certificate, which one must have to fly solo, eg., student pilot certificate. If one has prior flight training, the demark point is the cross country solo. If complete, the IFS not required of the SNFO.

CNATRA Instruction 3501.2 lays it all out.

Understand there are many details and some bumps. Hear that currently SNFO's arriving at P'cola without IFS and are being selected for IFS on a random basis because lack of 141 school capacity in P'cola. New program, some speed bumps to be expected.

Understand USNA SNFO folks are doing IFS at a Part 141 school at BWI.

savingthisone

bouncy_125.gif
Wink:

Have Adobe (PDF) file (18 pages) of the SNFO IFS program Instruction. If you or anyone else would like, could email a copy. It is a screening tool prior to API.

Give me an email address if you would like copy.

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
Originally posted by DaVinci
Yes, you get to fly the plane (Tomahawk and Warrior).

tomahawk AKA Traumahawk.

(patmack, i'm sure you'd agree, assuming you've flown one)

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Awesome gouge DaVinci! That's really good to hear. I don't know why it would make any difference for Marine SNFO's would it? Can you do your SNFO IFS anywhere, or does it have to be at PAC? Thanks.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Half of your flying will be familiarization flights dealing with basic maneuvers to get you accustomed to the sensation of flight and the second phase is entirely intstrument/VOR navigation at night and simulated with the "hood" during the day.

In essence, do you get 6.75 hours of "Hood" training and flying at night? Do you solo during NIFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.