• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Costs $751.25 to member

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
The Navy probably figures since most in flight school are making bank with having roommates and pocketing all that extra BAH they can get by with sending us to far away places... That is just my logic. I lucked out and I am close to IFS.

Lets see...

- I'm married so no roommates
- I'm an SNFO so no per diem
- I took a $14000 cut in allowances PCSing here with no appreciable reduction in my cost of living and
- I might not have bought a second car here if it wasn't for IFS so

NO, I didn't make bank!

///END RANT///

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, I have, but I've also gotten reimbursed for rooms and expenses on them too.

Then it wasn't no cost. No cost means you don't get reimbursed. Sometimes you will get orders that basically excuse you from work and will get you head of line at the Q, but you don't get reimbursed.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Lets see...

- I'm married so no roommates
- I'm an SNFO so no per diem
- I took a $14000 cut in allowances PCSing here with no appreciable reduction in my cost of living and
- I might not have bought a second car here if it wasn't for IFS so

NO, I didn't make bank!

///END RANT///

Again, I agree that it isn't optimal, but come on....

You are getting thousands of dollars in flight training paid for by the Navy and all you have to do is show up and put forth a minimal amount of effort (in relation to military flight training) to pass.
It sucks that you have to drive out of the way, but there are some worse things you could be doing in the meantime. Take the van at 4am like the other guys are, try to fix the problem via the chain of command, or suck it up and just do it, which it sounds like you are doing.

bb1125

None
Or you could always DOR and go SWO. As I understand it, you could be underway in days...and you'll get sea pay!:D

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Why can't you have a roommate if you are married? If your $ situation is really that miserable, you might consider it. I know it isn't ideal, but it won't kill you either. Been there, done that.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Why can't you have a roommate if you are married? If your $ situation is really that miserable, you might consider it. I know it isn't ideal, but it won't kill you either. Been there, done that.

As long as this guy wasn't your roommate...
borat.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Then it wasn't no cost. No cost means you don't get reimbursed. Sometimes you will get orders that basically excuse you from work and will get you head of line at the Q, but you don't get reimbursed.

Yeah, I've had no cost orders before, I understood what he was getting at. My point is, I've never heard of someone being forced to go on a good deal flight or cross country, so they shouldn't expect any reimbursements. That's the whole "good deal" part of it. However, the times I've seen people required or forced to travel, they were reimbursed.

It's not like IFS is an optional program. Everyone is required to go through the training. Expecting to have ready access to transportation (as it's been explained, the duty vans don't sound too readily available) or reimbursement for driving 60+ miles a day isn't unreasonable. And I don't think it's similar to driving to the squadron everyday, because I would believe most people would choose to live closer to work than that.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's not like IFS is an optional program. Everyone is required to go through the training. Expecting to have ready access to transportation (as it's been explained, the duty vans don't sound too readily available) or reimbursement for driving 60+ miles a day isn't unreasonable. And I don't think it's similar to driving to the squadron everyday, because I would believe most people would choose to live closer to work than that.

I don't understand why when you have an ample motor pool that students from 6 schools need to fight over 2 vans. Indeed, I live a shitty area so that I can be 10 minutes to base. Yet I drive an hour to get to IFS.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The duty vans aren't readily available. There are two that can be checked out, no earlier than 0530. I have been getting a van, but there is a list of about 60+ people in IFS, most of which aren't. The total # of people that can ride in the vans is about 25, one 15pas(dedicated to bay minette) and two mini-vans that others can check out. The one IFS place in p-cola can't take many people, and the next closest can't either. Most of the people ferry out to BM, mobile, and eglin.

I asked about the sf1164, and was told it's not an option. Heck, I would take no-cost tad, but they still require you to muster if you don't have a flight that day . . . which makes me wonder wth the point of that is . . .

Edit: wrong on the #'s it's about 120+ people in IFS right now . . . just counted the list

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah, I've had no cost orders before, I understood what he was getting at. My point is, I've never heard of someone being forced to go on a good deal flight or cross country, so they shouldn't expect any reimbursements. That's the whole "good deal" part of it. However, the times I've seen people required or forced to travel, they were reimbursed.

Agreed, the transportation system is broken. One of these guys should enterprise to try and fix it. If they spend the time and crunch the numbers required (I mean do all the research with GSA as far as vehicle cost, get the numbers on the increased student load and the miles driven, and really get into the JFTR and get the letter of the law as far as travel distances required for reimbursement) in all of this beach/Seville spare time that they are getting and actually present a viable plan to someone up there at schools command, I guarantee that they will at the very least get an audience with someone who can make a difference. Instead, in the great Navy tradition (I know, Red, I am preaching to the chior here as you have been around longer than most young academy grads) they choose to come on AW and bitch about it. Whatever...doesn't matter a bit to me, but someone who does give a shit could really make a difference in a problem that needs fixing and make a whole lot of people happier.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Agreed, the transportation system is broken. One of these guys should enterprise to try and fix it. If they spend the time and crunch the numbers required (I mean do all the research with GSA as far as vehicle cost, get the numbers on the increased student load and the miles driven, and really get into the JFTR and get the letter of the law as far as travel distances required for reimbursement) in all of this beach/Seville spare time that they are getting and actually present a viable plan to someone up there at schools command, I guarantee that they will at the very least get an audience with someone who can make a difference. Instead, in the great Navy tradition (I know, Red, I am preaching to the chior here as you have been around longer than most young academy grads) they choose to come on AW and bitch about it. Whatever...doesn't matter a bit to me, but someone who does give a shit could really make a difference in a problem that needs fixing and make a whole lot of people happier.

I would have no problem doing that. Question, what is a JFTR, and where do I find it? :)

magnetfreezer

Mar 2008 JFTR Vol 1 Chapter 3F:Local Area Travel in and around Duty Station said:
Paragraph U3505 PDS AREA TRAVEL

C.2.b. If a POC is ordinarily used to/from home, and POC travel is authorized/approved between the residence/PDS and one or more alternate work sites within the local area, TDY mileage must be paid for the distance that exceeds the normal commuting distance.

E.1. Example 1. The traveler ordinarily commutes by POC and the one-way commuting distance to the PDS is 35 miles. The traveler drives from the residence to alternate work site #1 (50 miles) and then to alternate work site #2 (25 miles). The traveler returns to residence (10 miles). The traveler is authorized TDY mileage for the distance that exceeds the ordinary round trip commuting distance (70 miles). The traveler is paid TDY mileage for 15 miles (50 + 25 + 10 - 70 = 15).

Looks like this requires payment. When turning in the SF1164 forms to the AF, they canceled out the 'normal commuting distance' by taking the mapquest distance from NPA instead of wherever your house happens to be.