• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If You Like Busting the Number, Thank This Guy

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Richard Whitcomb, inventor/discoverer of the Area Rule, dies at 89.

fig034.jpg

Obit: http://www.technobahn.com/article/200910132139

Area Rule: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0104.shtml

KBayDog

Area Rule. Pretty cool stuff...I suppose.

Yeah, I was kickin' it at .21 Mach yesterday. (I had a pretty solid tail wind.)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Richard Whitcomb, inventor/discoverer of the Area Rule, dies at 89.

fig034.jpg

Obit: http://www.technobahn.com/article/200910132139

Area Rule: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0104.shtml

Definitely one of the more signatory events in aerospace history.

That said, "busting the number" is definitely overrated (except for aircraft like the SR-71 that needed it for the RECCE mission) and has significant baggage:

1. Except maybe in a super crusin' F-22, your fuel flow is way up there so unless you're a flying fuel tank like the B-1, you're not going to stay there for an appreciable time period

2. In ACM, unless you're on a bug, too much "smash" can be a liability because if you are going to engage another aircraft mano e mano, you're going arc like a big dog - better to let your missiles do all number bustin' for you

3. Unless you're near the ground or clouds, you can't even tell you're through the number except for looking at the airspeed indicator

4. The love affair with speed that led to Mach 2 interceptors meant maneuverability was typically sacrificed or penalized and aircraft often times had overly complex components designed to handle the supersonic airflow.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
The view is great up here on the shoulders of these giants.... There's stick monkeys and there's guys who love equations, This Bud's for you Rich.

nugget61

pilot
Definitely one of the more signatory events in aerospace history.

That said, "busting the number" is definitely overrated (except for aircraft like the SR-71 that needed it for the RECCE mission) and has significant baggage: ...

It was great for the Concorde though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It was great for the Concorde though.

Not really ... you had to stay out over the 'big H2O' to make it 'work' ... and why, you might ask???

Well, think about it for a while ... :)

Signed: a former BI Concorde S/O ... :)

biconcorde.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So what exactly is the problem with breaking the sound barrier over the US?.....
Mythbusters does it for you, huh??? :)

Try noise, sonic 'boom' over populated areas .... plus, it cost a lot more in fuel to fly the same route which is always a consideration for the airlines .... why do you think a ticket on the Concorde cost @ $3000 Dulles - Paris one way 30 years ago ??? And most commercial airline pilots, quite frankly, are not qualified to go 'soooper', no matter what anyone tells you ...

Soooooooooo .... bottom line: what's the benefit of going warp-overdrive over land???

You go faster ... :)

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
So what exactly is the problem with breaking the sound barrier over the US? I know there are rules and regs, i'm trying to figure out why those rules and regs exist. They "busted" the sound barrier breaking windows myth (myth when the AC is above a relatively low altitude) on Mythbusters with the help of the Blue's. The F-18 had to be pretty damn low (500 or lower feet?) to do any damage.

Haven't you ever heard the Space Shuttle come back in? It's f-ing loud. And the flower children of Los Angeles always think it's something exploding. Imagine how many phone calls this generates for your average law enforcement agency.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Haven't you ever heard the Space Shuttle come back in? It's f-ing loud. And the flower children of Los Angeles always think it's something exploding. Imagine how many phone calls this generates for your average law enforcement agency.

The shuttle on approach to Edwards will at least rattle windows in Los Angeles. Happened to Mrs. Beans last year. And "flower children"? Maybe if you're talking about Venice Beach or something... I'd assume (since we're making gross generalizations and assumptions about populations here) that most Angelenos would think it's an earthquake or start shooting at it.

And vs. Myhbusters for $Trader$, if you want some real science (note the absence of quotations in this sentence), look to these guys and search for this kind of work. Also the F-5 shaped sonic boom project and the Quiet Spike are interesting.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Signed: a former BI Concorde S/O ... :)

I did not know that- nice!

One of my college profs did his PhD on something about the Concorde's engines (he wrote an LOR to get me in the Navy too...).

I didn't know Braniff operated them either. Learn somethin' new every day :)

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The shuttle on approach to Edwards will at least rattle windows in Los Angeles. Happened to Mrs. Beans last year. And "flower children"? Maybe if you're talking about Venice Beach or something... I'd assume (since we're making gross generalizations and assumptions about populations here) that most Angelenos would think it's an earthquake or start shooting at it.

Well, my mother (artist) and some of her friends (artists) thought something exploded a couple weeks ago when they came back in -- despite residing in the Los Angeles area for decades. Based on that, I felt the sudden urge to use that gross generalization. I'm sure you can imagine what all of her friends think of my profession.
icon_smile_darth.gif

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I didn't know Braniff operated them (the Concorde) either. Learn somethin' new every day :)

dfwconcorde.jpg

Inauguration of Concorde service to D/FW airport by Braniff International in conjunction with British Airways and Air France in January 1979.

coverqrf.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I did not know that- (Concorde S/O) nice!....:)

Well ... to be 100% 'correct' (as we know how some are on this board :D), I officially had a permanent 'bid position' as Concorde S/O, had completed ground school, and was in Toulouse doing simulators when we got word that "they" CNX'ed the BI/BA/AF interchange program. So after some pointee-talkie-lookie-see's sessions and a French lesson or two ... or three ... I got a 1st class seat back to DFW, which wasn't too bad.

*sigh* .... so that's close enough for gov't. work and close enough for me. :)

It was a very "busy" S/O panel ... fuel management alone was a S/O's worst freakin' nightmare.

concordefe2hy.jpg

Cleonard19

Contributor
Thought i'd post for those who have never heard it.

Double Sonic Boom at 2:45

On another note, anyone who hasn't seen a shuttle launch in person, really should if they're ever in FL when it happens. I mention this because I was looking through some launch videos to post, but decided that no video could ever do that launch justice. The last time I watched a launch (~3 months ago) we were 15 miles from the platform, and the launch was still rattling the contents of the beer pong table, and the sound was still like being in a rifle range. (For reference, the time I was at the "VIP" viewing area, 4.5 miles away, the entire event was like being in a rifle range with no hearing protection.

And the entire launch from inside the orbiter, for your viewing pleasure.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
It was a very "busy" S/O panel ... fuel management alone was a S/O's worst freakin' nightmare.

[/B]
concordefe2hy.jpg

So the S/O was the guy moving all the gas around to accommodate the shifting center of pressure as you accel/decelerated? Those pumps must have been serious.

And @ RedFive... bummer w/ the whole Darth Vader thing - it all makes more sense now.