• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If the Commandant...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never really bought into this notion. Sure it looks very bad to the so call "Arab Street" . Doesn't look so good to our western Allies either, but on levels that the ordinary man on the street in Egypt or Afghanistan will never get to. The reality is that none of those folks are going down to their local Taliban or AQ recruiter and signing papers. The folks that are motivated enough to take on a company of Marines with AKs and 4 weeks of amateur training or wear a suicide vest, are way beyond being pissed about some nobody Marine urinating on a lifeless body. We were attacked on 9/11 before Abu Ghraib, USS Cole was attacked before anyone was sent to Gitmo, the other presumptive recruiting tool. Claiming that any one thing is boosting recruiting for our enemies is all really about changing a policy, or causing more damage then is warranted. Closing GITMO may or may not be a good idea. Doing so because people that want it closed, or don't want to be imprisoned there say it is boosting recruiting, is not a good reason. U.S. Marines pissing on the body of their enemy is wrong based on their ethos and our western morality. End of discussion. It is hard to believe that video will motivate our enemies when they hated us long before for Rock and Roll, Hollywood, unveiled women, and the uncle and brother that a MQ-9 killed. Hell before they heard of this intertnet video they were convinced that all sorts of atrocities have been carried out by our guys. How is it that a video of Marines peeing on a body will motivate these guys when they have already been told lie after lie about outrageous conduct of our guys. They have heard much much worse.

That's a two way street though. I do agree that things like this get blown out of proportion by the liberal croud and are used in an attempt to leverage policy change. I also agree that we shouldn't necesarily be swayed by those tactics on policy matters. The other side of that coin is that many on the right, in an effort to discount the left's argument, will say that these things have a negligible effect on the overall hatred of the US - I.E. they're a recruiting tool. I get that as a rhetorical device, but I'm not sure that squares with reality. There's all kinds of anecdotal evidence that these things do contribute to recruiting. It's not a simple or mechanical as some portray it - guy sees video then reports to AQ recruitment office. There's an incremental aspect of this culture clash and we do ourselves a disservice by dismissing it or pretending it doesn't exist. Does that mean we change our policy? Well, that depends, but since this is ultimately a battle for hearts and minds, legitimacy counts and incidents like this are significant setbacks.

Brett

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I have never really bought into this notion. Sure it looks very bad to the so call "Arab Street" . Doesn't look so good to our western Allies either, but on levels that the ordinary man on the street in Egypt or Afghanistan will never get to...

Right. It wasn't so much the what happened at Abu Ghraib--and regular Iraqis would admit that far worse things happened under Saddam--it was because prior to that we adamantly told the world that we were better than that.

Same thing with this. I'd wager that the Taliban would freely admit that pissing on dead bodies is less insulting than beheading a helpless captive and not giving the body a proper Christian burial. Of course they can rationalize their actions, but that's beside the point. The problem is that they see this video as red-handed proof that our side is not so much better after all.

Jim123

pilot
If a video was released of our dead Marines and Iraqi/Afghani civilians pissed all over them, how would you feel? Would you just say war is hell and move on?

Well, we, uh, adjusted our pacification plan for Fallujah in 2004 after something similar to that happened... which is what I think you were getting at.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course it would piss me off. But I don't think thats the point. Does the fact the insurgents may be pissed off increase their ability to damage our troops, decrease that ability? or make no difference?

Dont we pay people (from secdefs former employer) alot of money to come up with sneaky dirty tricks that screws with the enemy's head?

So, do you throw away some trained, combat experienced Marines for pissing on a dead enemies corpse? I say no, but that's just my opinion.
The thing is, if our strategy to combat terrorism is to create an Afghanistan with a functional government that is able to address the needs of its citizens, we've got to make that government a viable and attractive alternative to the Taliban. It's not that we're trying to win over the hard-core insurgents. We are in a tug of war with the insurgents for the loyalty of the everyday Afghan citizen who can choose between supporting the insurgency or the Afghan government. To the extent that we are associated with the Afghan government, the Afghan citizen's opinion of the US matters.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
If a video was released of our dead Marines and Iraqi/Afghani civilians pissed all over them, how would you feel? Would you just say war is hell and move on?
Not at all and that's not what I'm saying. These few individuals are in no way examplars of the American Way or all of USMC. I'm saying it's a tad naive to think that we as Americans are somehow immune to the horrors of war. Again, not an excuse, more of an explanation.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Their leadership is as much to blame as they are. One of the express purposes of even having officers around is to prevent this from happening. Now, I can't believe that any officer would allow it if they were physically there, but, as we've made clear, it's not a new phenomenon for troops to fuck with the bodies of their dead enemies. They should have been well inoculated before it ever happened. CBTs and Marinenet courses on the Law of Armed Conflict cannot substitute for real mentorship/leadership, especially when we're asking so much of our " strategic corporals."

Jim123

pilot
"strategic corporals."

Now there is a cliché that has a lot of meaning.

This latest story is a very very negative example. And unfortunately, sometimes it's easy for the general public to forget about the positive examples. Well there is a long history of the American G.I., once the smoke has cleared, showing kindness and humanity to children and other innocent victims of war.

Try not to lose sight of that good image, folks, because it's real.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If I'd spent 6 months getting shot at and mortared by those bastards, I'd probably piss on them, too. Still though, the person who filmed it is a moron. The person who put it on youtube is a bigger moron.

All that aside, a law is still a law. They broke it, so unfortunately there will be hell to pay (particularly because of all the media attention and mass hand-wringing). People get very emotional over bullshit whilst sitting in their comfortable chairs in their living room, and have no calibration for what it is like over there.

As per usual, the Taliban takes a completely dis-proportionally innocuous event against them and scores a victory in the media (they are fighting and winning a PR war, after all).

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Karzai is pretty pissed (haha) about the whole thing as well. Maybe it doesn't matter what the Taliban think about us, but this is probably going to bite us in the ass diplomatically later on when dealing with the Afghan Government.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As per usual, the Taliban takes a completely dis-proportionally innocuous event against them and scores a victory in the media (they are fighting and winning a PR war, after all).

Ain't war a bitch. What else are they supposed to do? :rolleyes:

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ain't war a bitch. What else are they supposed to do? :rolleyes:

Brett

Exactly what they are doing. I'm just stating a fact. They are doing a very good job fighting the PR war. Worked in the past, and it will continue to work, no matter how transparent it is to a very few.