• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If the Commandant...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, this is getting its share of hyperbolic and uneducated commentary in the media, but this certainly doesn't make our already difficult position in Afghanistan any easier. Shit happens in that kind of environment. It's just a shame that people feel compelled to capture it on video.

Brett

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
What sucks is these guys don't realize they are creating excellent recruiting tools for the bad guys, Abu Ghraib for example.

This just makes the job harder for the guys over there now and in the future.

phrogpilot73

Of course, this is getting its share of hyperbolic and uneducated commentary in the media, but this certainly doesn't make our already difficult position in Afghanistan any easier. Shit happens in that kind of environment. It's just a shame that people feel compelled to capture it on video.
I agree. And not only that, but felt compelled to post the video on YouTube... Of course, I think the most humorous part of the write up in the Washington post was this:

“It was inhuman and despicable, an unforgivable act,” said Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi.
I think the video is despicable. But I have a moral compass. If your group has been known to behead people with a pocket knife, I don't know that you have a leg to stand on when describing inhuman and despicable acts...

Reconjoe

How people haven't learned from the multiple scandals caught on film in the past is beyond me. Pure Darwinism. Awful that it happened in the first place, down right idiotic that you would even film it (or commit the act with a camera anywhere near you). Throw the book at em...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yeah they behead people..but the counter to that by the rest of the world is always going to be, "You're America, you're better than that." The same applies with our own citizens in this country, we can't get away with what the average civilian gets away with because we hold ourselves to a higher standard. Sometimes it is frustrating, because we're capable of fucking up just like anybody else...but have much more to lose in most cases.

phrogpilot73

I wasn't referring to the rest of the world, just the Taliban. Yes, it's deplorable. Yes, it should be condemned. Most of the people that are saying so have never beheaded anyone. However, when someone who thinks it's OK to behead someone just for being <insert special group here> says it's deplorable? Yeah, I don't give a shit about your opinion buddy - nor should the rest of the world. I don't think I'm communicating my point very well, just that it think it's funny that the Taliban think it's deplorable.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
They are all hypocrites. They brutally kill their fellow Muslims as well....Even the Iranian government commit crimes, embezzle money, drink, do drugs and other things that they condemn.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
How people haven't learned from the multiple scandals caught on film in the past is beyond me. Pure Darwinism. Awful that it happened in the first place, down right idiotic that you would even film it (or commit the act with a camera anywhere near you). Throw the book at em...
Crucify them sure... Im all for it. But serious damage has already been done. Less so here at home I'm sure, but certainly in the areas of the world where Al Jazera has major viewership.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wasn't referring to the rest of the world, just the Taliban. Yes, it's deplorable. Yes, it should be condemned. Most of the people that are saying so have never beheaded anyone. However, when someone who thinks it's OK to behead someone just for being <insert special group here> says it's deplorable? Yeah, I don't give a shit about your opinion buddy - nor should the rest of the world. I don't think I'm communicating my point very well, just that it think it's funny that the Taliban think it's deplorable.
Taliban might not have a leg to stand on with us, but to the rest of the world, they just gained another notch of legitimacy - all the more important, seeing as how they're coming to the negotiating table with the Afghan government. This just ups their position and they're going to squeeze every last drop of PR gold they can from this.

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Fucking idiots. They deserve everything coming to them. I could give two shits about what the Taliban thinks, but US Marines are held to the highest standards as far as honor and decency at home and abroad. This is not what Marines do, and this is not what Americans do. Lastly, why in the hell is there not a standing order somewhere in the military to "stop bringing your fucking cameras to work, you goddamn retards."

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is not what Marines do, and this is not what Americans do.
Not excusing or condoning their actions as I agree with folks above that the actions of a few are going to make it harder for The Good Guys and will lend legitimacy to the Taliban in the world arena, but neither Marines or Americans are imune to the dehumanizing effects of war.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I agree, and I'm not there doing that, so my opinion is worth about as much as pretty much anyone else's on this board, but I stand by the statement. Americans do not dishonor the dead. We are supposed to be better than that. We're really good at making them dead, but once they're dead...that battle is over.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What sucks is these guys don't realize they are creating excellent recruiting tools for the bad guys, Abu Ghraib for example.
I have never really bought into this notion. Sure it looks very bad to the so call "Arab Street" . Doesn't look so good to our western Allies either, but on levels that the ordinary man on the street in Egypt or Afghanistan will never get to. The reality is that none of those folks are going down to their local Taliban or AQ recruiter and signing papers. The folks that are motivated enough to take on a company of Marines with AKs and 4 weeks of amateur training or wear a suicide vest, are way beyond being pissed about some nobody Marine urinating on a lifeless body. We were attacked on 9/11 before Abu Ghraib, USS Cole was attacked before anyone was sent to Gitmo, the other presumptive recruiting tool. Claiming that any one thing is boosting recruiting for our enemies is all really about changing a policy, or causing more damage then is warranted. Closing GITMO may or may not be a good idea. Doing so because people that want it closed, or don't want to be imprisoned there say it is boosting recruiting, is not a good reason. U.S. Marines pissing on the body of their enemy is wrong based on their ethos and our western morality. End of discussion. It is hard to believe that video will motivate our enemies when they hated us long before for Rock and Roll, Hollywood, unveiled women, and the uncle and brother that a MQ-9 killed. Hell before they heard of this intertnet video they were convinced that all sorts of atrocities have been carried out by our guys. How is it that a video of Marines peeing on a body will motivate these guys when they have already been told lie after lie about outrageous conduct of our guys. They have heard much much worse.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I agree, and I'm not there doing that, so my opinion is worth about as much as pretty much anyone else's on this board, but I stand by the statement. Americans do not dishonor the dead. We are supposed to be better than that. We're really good at making them dead, but once they're dead...that battle is over.
I agree in theory, but the truth is that even American's have and will again be subject to the effects of war. The unfortunate truth is that our history is rife with examples of our troops dishonoring the dead. I always figured it was part of our role as officers and gentlemen to prevent this from happening, but at some point the notion of keeping war civil becomes a little academic.
watermarkcomp.jpg