• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If it's not BOEING, I'm not going ... ???

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
The Boeing website is hosting some sort of webcast for the first flight, hopefully with video. http://787firstflight.newairplane.com/ffindex.html

Anyone have a news link w/ video, or the scheduled flight time? I imagine CNN will cover it... if "Courtney Love loses custody of daughter" doesn't take priority (a more popular news story on the website, WTF is this country coming to?) The article is also full of annoying errors.

Taxi test

Sure is a sweet-lookin A/C

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
METAR KPAE 151453Z 15010KT 10SM FEW024 05/03 A2977 RMK AO2 SLP087 T00500033 53005

After years of delays, Boeing determined its new 787 jetliner will finally fly - Chicago Tribune

Boeing first flight a key milestone, not end of the road - Seattle PI Aerospace blog

787noseboeing.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Have they flown the 787 yet today? Hope someone will post as soon as it happens.

This a/c management project is becoming a textbook case in how NOT to manage a new technology. Getting the "we-the-people" contributory efforts in building it were definitely not worth what they have cost Boeing this time. Of course, EADS' corporate structure ensures this type of CF project management on everthing they do.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Here's some period pix from another Boeing 'first flight', a little over 40 years ago ... :)

jackwaddellandcobra.jpg
747crewnamesip.jpg

Capt Waddell arriving @ Paine Field in his Ford Shelby Cobra
for a flight (yea-as, those really ARE snow tires & a ski rack :D) -----------------------
Assigned seating only

747firstflightcrewwadde.jpg
747flightcrewip.jpg

F/O Wygle, CAPT Waddell, S/O Wallick on the ramp for the 'first' ...
(Boeing only hired test pilots with a last name beginning w/ a "W" ... :))
---------- Just another day at the office, this one comes w/ a window seat

NOW THIS IS WHAT WE CAME FOR !!!

747firstflight.jpg
747firsttakeoffip.jpg

747firstairtoairip.jpg

And last, but not least, the first air-to-air intercept of a BOEING 747 WHALE ...
.... complements of North American and its F-86 line of products ...

yak52driver

Contributor
Have they flown the 787 yet today? Hope someone will post as soon as it happens.

This a/c management project is becoming a textbook case in how NOT to manage a new technology. Getting the "we-the-people" contributory efforts in building it were definitely not worth what they have cost Boeing this time. Of course, EADS' corporate structure ensures this type of CF project management on everthing they do.

Sitting in KPIA on a charter right now. Latest on the flight is around 1 p.m. in WA.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
A4s: As a major airline pilot, what is your (and compatriots') professional opinion of Airbus aircraft?

I'll give 2 Euros, Boeing makes pilot oriented and pilot friendly aircraft while Airbus makes an engineers airplane. Our buses (A300/310) fly very similar to the 727 but are a bit more responsive for being so much bigger. I actually enjoy hand flying the A-300 more than the 727. Hand flying the 310 is Good with GE motors and the -300 not -200 series. But the jet, systems and it's automations are definately not intuitive.

Note: I can only give my 2 cents of the 72 and A-300/310 having flown those. And really the 300/310 don't count because they are kinda different (older technology/design) than the newer 319/320 generations.

My buds on the 757 say they like the systems and airplane better but also like the A-300 hand flying better. But it could be that the Airbus pays more;)

yak52driver

Contributor
Dreamliner just took off. I swear it looked like a T-33 flashed by the camera flying chase. Cool that Boeing finally got it off the ground.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Dreamliner just took off. I swear it looked like a T-33 flashed by the camera flying chase. Cool that Boeing finally got it off the ground.

A section of them. Nice video and great looking jet. The amount of flex in the wing was stunning for what must be a light loaded jet.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ford Shelby Mustang ;)
Yeah, yeah, yeah .... nitpicker. I guess that's better than being a nose picker ... ??? :D

*sigh* ... I keep giving and giving and giving and ... and yet they push the old man around ...

oldboxer.jpg