• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If it's not BOEING, I'm not going ... ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Boeing is still WA-A-A-A-A-A-AY mo' bettah' then da' Bus -- my opinion having 'sampled' and used both companies' products -- but it's becoming more and more of a horse race w/ each & every passing year ...

I think 'globalization of the production line' (is that a concept?) is when the U.S. commercial airline industry entered its death spiral ... Lockheed ... Douglas ... who's next???

Concierge.com: Boeing's Dreamliner Debacle

Bloomberg.com: Boeing's Fifth 787 Delay Hurts

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It sounds like a combination of glitches that you'd expect when making the first all-composite aircraft with other first time technologies. But even more so, an unrealistic timeline. It amazes me that they could get so close to a first test flight and then all of the sudden discover an airframe problem thought serious enough to cause structural failure.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Boeing was attempting to combine many streams of untried technical innovation into one design

I sort of thought this early on, but then said, "c'mon: it's BOEING. How could they make such a rookie mistake?"

Evolutionary beats revolutionary, every time.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
If Airbus' record in developing & bringing to market the A-380 & A-400M is any indication, they'll likely take until 2020 to get the A-350XWB flying & to market. Think about it: they've lost so much $$$ on those 2 a/c, that any ordinary privately-owned company would be in Chapter 11 by now. We will not know in our lifetimes what the financial story is & has been at Airbus, but they have been kept going by their european government owners for decades.

P.S. I'm sure Boeing has paid a few bribes here 'n there, but that list of buyers Airbus put together at the Paris Air Show last week just reeks of bribes paid for each & every order . JMHO, of course.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... We will not know in our lifetimes what the financial story is & has been at Airbus......
ACTUALLY, we do ... it's just that not too many airline 'wonks' wanna' talk about it ....

As far as a ... 'business' .... model ... it's not 'correct'. :)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
They're suffering from a triple-whammy of trying to produce an aircraft with many new technologies, with supply chain issues from all over the globe, and working with a union that's unhappy.

exhelodrvr

pilot
If Airbus' record in developing & bringing to market the A-380 & A-400M is any indication, they'll likely take until 2020 to get the A-350XWB flying & to market. Think about it: they've lost so much $$$ on those 2 a/c, that any ordinary privately-owned company would be in Chapter 11 by now. We will not know in our lifetimes what the financial story is & has been at Airbus, but they have been kept going by their european government owners for decades.

P.S. I'm sure Boeing has paid a few bribes here 'n there, but that list of buyers Airbus put together at the Paris Air Show last week just reeks of bribes paid for each & every order . JMHO, of course.

Don't worry; Washington will end up bailing out Airbus.

snake020

Contributor
I don't get it either. In late '06 it seemed Boeing could do nothing wrong as company after company dropped Airbus in favor of ordering the 787. It's like they're trying to lose.

Fog

None
Contributor
Don't worry; Washington will end up bailing out Airbus.

HeloStick: Yes, but the check will bounce when the Chinese stop payment on it !! (hehe)

A4s: As a major airline pilot, what is your (and compatriots') professional opinion of Airbus aircraft? NW has a bunch of A320s & A330s, don't you?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s: As a major airline pilot, what is your (and compatriots') professional opinion of Airbus aircraft? NW has a bunch of A320s & A330s, don't you?
The only guys that 'like' them are the fellows who are too young to have flown the Boeings and/or the 'company-drones' who populate the 'Bus side of the house in Training and thus have a vested interest in the Frog-jet program ...

And what do the guys who are 'older' and/or have done both say???

boeingnotgoing.jpg

Fog

None
Contributor
I think youmade your point perfectly clear. Apparently, around the world professional pilots prefer the Boeing a/c. It's the airlines that got the great "deal" & the guys who got bought that want Airbus stuff.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The only guys that 'like' them are the fellows who are too young to have flown the Boeings and/or the 'company-drones' who populate the 'Bus side of the house in Training and thus have a vested interest in the Frog-jet program ...

And what do the guys who are 'older' and/or have done both say???

Can you quantify your preference at all? I.e, Boeing planes just overall nicer, handles better, etc, or is it just one of those things that is hard to quantify but everyone just knows?