• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE ... Long gun. What would it be??

skidz

adrenaline junky
Hahaha! Under their hunting photos, this guy who took a buffalo looks like he got scoped!
leobuffalohunt01.jpg

phrogpilot73

I have been instructed to use my first drill paycheck to purchase an M1 Garand. PSW has even printed out the CMP order forms. More proof that PSW =/= Manatee. :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been instructed to use my first drill paycheck to purchase an M1 Garand. PSW has even printed out the CMP order forms. More proof that PSW =/= Manatee. :D
My economic stimulus check is going right back to Uncle in the guise of the CMP as well. I've run out of excuses.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My economic stimulus check is going right back to Uncle in the guise of the CMP as well. I've run out of excuses.
My Garand came from the CMP and I could not be happier. You can get a brand new one for a lot more money, but there is no history. Buying a CMP rifle is like the CAF keeping the old war birds flying. My next CMP purchase is going to be a M1 carbine. Keep history alive and buy a rifle from the CMP while you can!!

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
My Garand came from the CMP and I could not be happier. You can get a brand new one for a lot more money, but there is no history. Buying a CMP rifle is like the CAF keeping the old war birds flying. My next CMP purchase is going to be a M1 carbine. Keep history alive and buy a rifle from the CMP while you can!!

I have a M1 carbine that was manufactured in February of '45 by the Inland Manufacturing division of GM. I bought it at a pawn shop 15 years ago for $150. Its a blast to shoot & I've even used it to hunt deer in really brushy areas where a high powered rifle would be over kill.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you

Wink,
Looks like we actually agree on something! I got my CMP H&R Correct grade.M1 Garand couple of weeks ago. Just haven't had the time to go and get rid of all the cosmoline yet.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Interesting decor. Moons and a rifle. Hmmmm. But the Corsair is a nice touch.:)
Get to the range now.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I figure I'll probably eventually end up back here or somewhere close. The Winchester 94 Trapper I posted earlier is about as an ideal rifle as there is for me right now. It holds 9+1 rounds of .44 mag and handles like a beauty. In the Piney Woods of East Texas, you aren't gonna get many shots that this gun isn't capable of handling. I've never been one to like the idea of shooting deer from long ranges and such, so this gun is great for hunting. The .44 mag punches a mean hole through anything it hits out to reasonable ranges that this gun is capable of, and the gun is fast handling enough for defense purposes. It doesn't hold as amny rounds as some of the eviler rifles, but I'm not a fan of putting a lot of lead down range. I like to make sure I have a good aim with every shot I take, but maybe that is because I am a broke college student. Yeah, it takes a bit longer to fill the magazine up, but the advantages negate that to me. There is no gun more romantic to the average person who does not abhor them than a lever action. Everybody who grew up watching westerns and such associates these guns with a kind of idealism of justice inside them, whether they are some sort of gun nut or not. Sure a bolt action may be more accurate and a military style rifle may be more capable of putting more lead down range in a short amount of time, but the lever action is to me the best compromise of balance, accuracy and firepower for my needs. They are definately the sexiest rifles out there.

This little rifle is also a wonderfull tool in the battle against feral hogs, that is if I am not chasing those piggies with dogs and a knife.

I have heard your words and they are strong.

May I humbly suggest that the finest lever gun would be the Marlin 1895 Guide in the venerable .45-70 Govt.? Still a classic looking lever action, but it packs an ubelievable wollop. If you step up to the Garrett custom ammo, you can kill anything on the planet with efficiency. The .45-70 with peep sights will put you in the boiler room at 100yds all day long. If you feed it Hornady Leverevolution ammo and throw on a scope, you have 200+ yd weapon easily. The 44mag will do the job at shorter ranges, but I woudn't want to have to use it out West on Mule deer or Elk.

Steve

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Interesting decor. Moons and a rifle. Hmmmm. But the Corsair is a nice touch.:)
Get to the range now.

Haha yeah, I know its one of my quirks but being single I can indulge it. Ive always enjoyed blue so i guess thats part of the reason why I joined the Navy.

As for getting to the range, unfortunately itll have to wait until after I get done with a week in DC and two weeks of reserve drill.