• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE ... Long gun. What would it be??

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'm more of a handgun guy, and admittedly, my Garand response was more of a "word association" thing. As in, when Wink says "you can only have one rifle," what's the first thing that pops into your head? Thought about it more and this came to mind . . .

I'm still anal about the whole semi-auto thing, though. It's so intuitive. Point. Click. I suppose a Scout-like semi-auto would be a pretty good deal.

Nittany, I think I understand the whole "scout rifle" concept, but why does every one have the optic mounted so far forward? Wouldn't there be eye relief problems with a scope mounted so far forward?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nittany, I think I understand the whole "scout rifle" concept, but why does every one have the optic mounted so far forward? Wouldn't there be eye relief problems with a scope mounted so far forward?
From the article . . .
A forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2-3 diameters. This preserves the shooters' peripheral vision, clears the ejection port of the rifle, makes possible the use of stripper clips to reload the rifle, and eliminates any chance of the scope striking one's brow during recoil. Cooper has stated that a telescopic sight is not mandatory.

FlyinRock

Wink
It would be the one I've had over 35 years. A Remington 700 in a Brown Glastock, 2X7 Leupold scope, 30/06 caliber. The gun has been on hunts in Africa, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, California and points in between. It still makes little tiny ragged holes with multiple shots at 100 yards.
If I'm gonna be in a firefight I want a squad of Marines with their TO weapons.
My personal defense gun is a Colt 1911A1 that has over 125,000 rounds through it and still shoots master scores if I do my part.
Keeping out of the situations that require me to carry an automatic weapon and a weapons carrier to carry all the ammo comes with age.