• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IA preAPI?

WEGL

This might be stupid but WTF: I've been told to expect at least a 6mo wait to classup for API after commissioning and was considering volunteering for an IA job in the sandbox opposed to some stash job. Does anyone know if this is possible, practical, stupid, good for career, good way to serve etc...???
I keep getting the crazy eye when I ask around the unit, but really I didn't do the NROTC deal for the free degree, I'm in it for the commission, and I'd just like to contribute in a meaningful manner, serve, blah blah blah.... :tongue2_1

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WEGL said:
This might be stupid but WTF: I've been told to expect at least a 6mo wait to classup for API after commissioning and was considering volunteering for an IA job in the sandbox opposed to some stash job. Does anyone know if this is possible, practical, stupid, good for career, good way to serve etc...???
I keep getting the crazy eye when I ask around the unit, but really I didn't do the NROTC deal for the free degree, I'm in it for the commission, and I'd just like to contribute in a meaningful manner, serve, blah blah blah.... :tongue2_1
I would be extremely surprised if CNATRA released students for that purpose.

Brett

KBayDog

WEGL said:
...I'm in it for the commission, and I'd just like to contribute in a meaningful manner, serve, blah blah blah.... :tongue2_1

As many on this board will tell you, after you leave the training command, you will get MORE than your fair chance to "contribute in a meaningful manner."

Until that time, enjoy any time off you can get.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
As many on this board will tell you, after you leave the training command, you will get MORE than your fair chance to "contribute in a meaningful manner."

Concur.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Also, generally, an IA is longer than 6 months. The 6 months part (ie, 179 days) is actual assignment time. There's still the training portion, and for some of them, the "decompression" time. I empathize w/ your motivation, but really, find another outlet and enjoy the time off.

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
gatordev said:
Also, generally, an IA is longer than 6 months. The 6 months part (ie, 179 days) is actual assignment time. There's still the training portion, and for some of them, the "decompression" time. I empathize w/ your motivation, but really, find another outlet and enjoy the time off.

yeah, enjoy your time off. It really hits the fan and starts going when you get to the training command.

ThetaChi

pilot
Yeah.....I doubt if CNATRA would allow you to serve that type of duty just yet....they are reluctant to let us ride motorcycles, jet-skis, surf, or much else other than training right now (and yes, I am aware that is a totally different thing). I do commend you for your willingness to serve...that should take you far in your career.

WEGL

KBayDog said:

That's the same sentiment I keep running into. I guess there must be something to it. The only thing is that I consider my 4 years of ROTC to have been time off. I've had lots of friends and relatives already serve two tours in the hotspots and I kinda feel I've not really done jack. I know and understand that I'll have an opportunity after training to contribute and I understand completely about taking time off when it's there, but it simply doesn't prevent that guilty feeling knowing I'll be hanging out on a beach for 6 months while other dudes are in combat.
But, I guess the point is moot if it's not happening. Is the 179 day deal set in stone? Are there no varied length augments?

SuperFly

pilot
Graduate, find orders, move to Pensacola, and enjoy your time off, bro. I would be jumping up and down if I heard I was waiting 6 months for API. Enjoy the time off, go to the beach, go to the bars, and enjoy Pensacola.

Bevo16

pilot
WEGL said:
I know and understand that I'll have an opportunity after training to contribute and I understand completely about taking time off when it's there, but it simply doesn't prevent that guilty feeling knowing I'll be hanging out on a beach for 6 months while other dudes are in combat.

Dude, it is your duty to enjoy your time off now as much as it will be your duty to put hot fused metal on target after you finish your training. When you boil it all down, the reason we are in this business is so people can enjoy themselves on the beach, or with their family, or whatever it is they want to do. If the Navy orders you to sit on your ass for 6 months, do it. Trust me, when you are getting jammed with double pumps in flight school of flying 9 hour missions you will long for those 6 month stash jobs.

WEGL

Bevo said:
Dude, it is your duty to enjoy your time off... When you boil it all down, the reason we are in this business is so people can enjoy themselves on the beach, or with their family, or whatever it is they want to do. If the Navy orders you to sit on your ass for 6 months, do it.

Nice point. You've succeeded where many others have failed. Thanks. The unanimity on this is pretty surprising to me though. I guess I have a screw missing to be so wrong. Now I guess it's on to plan B then...

SuperFly said:
Enjoy the time off, go to the beach, go to the bars, and enjoy Pensacola.

Thread Dead, converted to beach bumhism! :icon_brav

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get a good stash job you enjoy.

Work at DWEST, survival school or find a squadron that will sponsor you for 6 months of no-cost TAD. Do OHARP duty in your home town, work with the PAO on base, give tours, etc...

Lots of ways to "contribute."

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
WEGL, I will answer it a different way. Ok, so you and your pals at your NROTC or heck in the A-pool are told, you have xx month wait. You go gung ho and do IA... well, lets say pilot/nfo production peaks while you are on month three, and the stucon goes down his list, "who's next... WEGL... well, he is gone for 4 more months, next warm body is...."... At least in the other billets Schnugg and the others have mentioned, you are recallable or easier to get to. I doubt that once committed to the IA billet, that they could as easily pull you out of country to start the pipeline.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Sorry, real quick, I searched a lot but what does Individual Augment have to do with the sandbox?

Obvious answer in 3...2...1...