• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I Phones

Flugelman

Contributor
Got this in an email from retired Delta Captain cousin...

Another unintended consequence of a new technology.

Subject: I-Phone weatherman

Oh joy! I can't wait for the next ground delay or long taxi due to weather somewhere to get a smart ass with a freakin I-phone shoving it in my face saying "It's NOT raining there... SEE !" Too late...already happened to me. We push back, get advised of a ground stop in MEM due to storms in the area. Go to the penalty box and wait. My Captain does the lecture over the PA... not one minute later, we get dinged from the F/A "Some guy with an IPhone says the weather is good, and wants to know what the real reason is for the delay. Is something wrong with the plane?"

I want to tell this clown what he can do with his IdiotPhone - but the Captain does it even better. He gets on the PA and makes the following announcement :

"If the passenger with the IPhone would be kind enough to use it to check the weather at our alternate, calculate our fuel burn due to being rerouted around the storms, call the dispatcher to arrange our release, and then make a phone call to the nearest Air Traffic Control center to arrange our timely departure amongst the other aircraft carrying passengers with IPhones, then we will be more than happy to depart. Please ring your call button to advise the Flight Attendant and your fellow passengers when you deem it ready and responsible for this multi-million dollar aircraft and its 84 passengers to safely leave."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're just jealous you don't have an iPhone. It's freakin' awesome!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'd love to have an IPhone ... most of my learning curve indicates it is not ready for prime time, yet. Battery, user interface, connectivity, all the usual suspects.

Comments???

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Isn't that like never fly the A-model anything. :D I will wait till Apple decides to drop the price again before considering changing service providers.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I liked the one I got to play with for an hour or so but the guy who owned it said it had a few little bugs. Neat toy, but I don't think I want to drop that kind of cash on one.

phrogpilot73

I liked the one I got to play with for an hour or so but the guy who owned it said it had a few little bugs. Neat toy, but I don't think I want to drop that kind of cash on one.
You hit the nail on the head. Apple's marketing machine is making it out to be the Uber-Smartphone that you can't survive without. Truth be told, my rather long-in-the-tooth Treo 650 does everything the iPhone does (save visual voice mail) and has a crapload of 3rd Party programs I can add on. And it's cheaper.

MasterBates

How I survived until 2006 without a cell phone (and until now with just a bare bones one) must surely be a mystery to you all..

I have seen/played with Kmac's Iphone. Its nice, but not nice enough to justify some insane AT&T service plan. Never mind the cost of the phone.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I just need something basic

OldCellPhone200jve.jpg.242339.1.jpeg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I just need something basic

OldCellPhone200jve.jpg.242339.1.jpeg
I had one of those -- I was very cutting edge. Tough to get into one's pocket (i.e., "is that a cellphone in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me ... ") , but great for defense in a fight. :)

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
You hit the nail on the head. Apple's marketing machine is making it out to be the Uber-Smartphone that you can't survive without. Truth be told, my rather long-in-the-tooth Treo 650 does everything the iPhone does (save visual voice mail) and has a crapload of 3rd Party programs I can add on. And it's cheaper.

Absolutely. People still get suckered into this marketing campaign, when the fact is that there are far better phones out there that can do everything the iPhone can do and much more, for a fraction on the price. The Nokia E70 (Maddox article: Might not be safe for work) comes to mind.