• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I noticed that the 4 flyover a/c for the Bears-Seahawks game yesterday were F-18s

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
How bout Fenway Park 2008. Did this pilot play by the FAA regulations....?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I did three (3) A&M flyovers while bumping & grinding @ NAS DALLAS ... There were basically NO restrictions, except don't crash. :)
Let the record state that was his last flight.

Let the record state that was decidedly NOT my last flight (me -- not the 'other guy') & I accumulated @ 12 K hours of flight time after those fly-overs .... :thumbup_1

Glad I served when I did ... now it's up to you guys to clean up your OWN litter box.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Best fly-by I've seen was for the last AOCS class in Pensacola, circa 1994 timeframe. I was walking near the ceremony and a T-2C section came scooting across, lower than I've yet seen before other than an airshow. Has to be somebody else on this site who saw it. Then again, I was young, dumb and full of cum so maybe it looked lower than it actually was.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I don't know. I think the Aussies might take the cake.

F-111 flyby at the 2008 Indycar races including a nice little "bump and burn".

Also heard about this one from some of the F-111 guys that came to Whidbey circa 1996. Army vs. AF at the AF Academy in Colorado Springs. F-111's are the last four ship. Four ship in blower at stadium height.

HuggyU2

None
Does anyone know for sure & where they were from?
NSAWC/Fallon.

The AF flybys are always better than the Navy. They dont get their wings yanked if they go below 1000' and over 250kts.
I sure wish that was true. Unfortunately, it isn't. I have no idea how there wasn't a thread on this, but the 20 Nov flyover at Iowa's Kinnick stadium is an example. Major crucifixion going on. Check it out on youtube. There are dozens of views. I'd post a couple, but have no idea how to do that. Look for the views from the press box.

If you're doing 330 KIAS, and crossing the stadium 900' from the turf (700' from the top of the stadium), will anyone be up in arms over it? Probably not. However, the Iowa flyby is getting 4-star attention.

Also, I am sure there are no "standing waivers" for sports/public event flyovers. 1000' above the highest obstacle within 2000' is the rule. As HD said, getting a lower waiver from the local FSDO is tough. For one, you have to have the school/sports team make the request to the FAA for their flyover to be lower. The pilots could do it, but it requires lead time.
For the AF guys, going below 1000' at a non-airport gets briefed to Flag Officers. Even if the FAA were to approve it, you still have to get HQ to buy off.
As for 250 knots... there are exceptions, based on your flight manual. For example, the T-38 cruises at 300 KIAS, as per our flight manual, so no requirement to go slower. I believe many of our fighters operate under the same rule.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let the record state that was decidedly NOT my last flight (me -- not the 'other guy') & I accumulated @ 12 K hours of flight time after those fly-overs .... :thumbup_1

Glad I served when I did ... now it's up to you guys to clean up your OWN litter box.
I never did a formal fly-by, but I have witnessed many. And some of the videos posted here are disgusting in their timidity, not worthy their burned JP.

The best fly-bys (not fly "overs") I ever witnessed were at funerals and CoCs at NKX by F-8s. They would come in below tall tree level and at the number! While a "bit" extreme, they were the finest salute, warrior to warrior ever. Neither the FAA nor the Flags in attendance were ever upset. They loved it! Only one I remember – the best – got a perfunctory ass chewing and nothing more. Those old fly-overs are still memorable, 40 years later. And no one ever got hurt or their career threatened... just as it should be.

If a nugget today can be trusted and has to do routinely a sand-blower low level @ 420 kts and 500 AGL over all of the Southwestern US's cities, towns, and elsewhere, why cannot an experienced and well-briefed pilot do the same over a stadium?
It is fear of certain personal shadows by some up the chain I think, and not logic or military expertise.

While the old days were maybe a bit extreme, these days are even more extreme in the opposite and wrong direction. If you cannot do a good and exciting flyover within better and more impressive boundaries, why even bother? It really is embarrassing to me to see these high-and-slow, cya flyovers.

HuggyU2

None
If a nugget today can be trusted and has to do routinely a sand-blower low level @ 420 kts and 500 AGL over all of the Southwestern US's cities, towns, and elsewhere, why cannot an experienced and well-briefed pilot do the same over a stadium?
Whether we agree or not, it is perceived as a complete lapse of flight discipline. "The rules say".... The Boss was briefed that way... so why isn't it done that way?

And with a 4-ship of F-22's running about $1.4B,... and a division of Super Hornets running a bunch too, leadership is pretty intolerant of a risk to the investment.

But,... like you allude to,... it's a different culture now.

Every now and then, you'll get a 4-star to tell you to "make it impressive". Doesn't happen often, but when it does, just try to keep it under The Number.

CAMike

None
Contributor
huggyu2's suggestion appears to be just about on par with the TCU flyover (altitude). 700' AGL makes the top of the stadium look a bit closer. Just guessing at the 700'- maybe it was higher -without knowing the lens specs I'm guessing. It's still sad the general publics "feelings" drives anything within the military. Then again, my "risk to investment" factor for lot's of things years ago was at times questionable.

Iowa-OSU Flyby Clip:

Flying Toaster

None
A few other views of the Iowa-OSU flyover Huggy was referring to-

If you want to feel dumber, go on Youtube and read some of the comments. I love the way people are all to happy to send guys into hostile territory risking their lives flying just off the deck, dodging SAMs, AAA, or whatever else is up there, but god forbid someone get startled by the noise and sight of military aircraft. Classic case of the AF feeding the sharks. Now they can all say "See, even the Air Force said they were too low, it must be dangerous."

I'm a clueless observer, so is it just me or should they be getting chewed out for a sloppy form more than the altitude?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a clueless observer, so is it just me or should they be getting chewed out for a sloppy form more than the altitude?
We can argue all we want here about what a trained pilot is or is not safe doing. That said, when the Big Boss tells you how he wants his airplanes flown, and you essentially give him a giant "fuck you" on national TV, you are going to get hammered. You can claim that you're safe till the day is done, but if you're on tape gaffing off lawful orders, you're toast.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Is the diamond formation more of a Navy thing? It seems like the AF flyovers are almost always in fingertip.

ryan1234

Is the diamond formation more of a Navy thing? It seems like the AF flyovers are almost always in fingertip.

Here is an old school Thud flyover pic (would have been awesome to be there!):

800px-Hill_F-105_24-ship_formation.jpg

Here is some of the damage at the USAFA after a Thud two ship (circa Olds' time):

F105.jpg

Attachments

• 800px-Hill_F-105_24-ship_formation.jpg
    800px-Hill_F-105_24-ship_formation.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 7