• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I have a couple questions

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You should go see an officer recruiter about joining the JAG corps (or any other staff corps job except supply). You would go to ODS (yes, that's typed correctly) for 6 weeks and then serve a certain amount of time as a lawyer in the Navy. However, you still need to go to college and law school before that happens.

You should still see a recruiter anyway, since there are 3 commissioning paths open to you at this time if you opt for a line community: Academy, NROTC, and OCS. Not sure what the Academy or NROTC offers for JAG hopefuls, but a recruiter should know.

Bottom line: go see a recruiter.

P3 F0

None
So, you want to go through OCS, then become a JAG. There is one option for you: LEP

http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers/careers/opportunities_lep.html

The Law Education Program (LEP) gives active duty Navy officers the opportunity to enter law school, earn the degree of Juris Doctor and subsequently serve as a career judge advocate. This is a selective program typically accepting only seven Navy officers each year.
As you can see, it's a very tough program to get into (I say that only based on the 7 per year quota; for all I know, only three may apply). You will need to be between 2-6 years and have applied to a law school/taken the LSAT. So, going into OCS, I believe you will have to apply for the typical URL's (SWO, Pilot, NFO, IW, IO, etc)

Also, like everyone else said, talk to an Officer recruiter.

Applicable NAVINST 1520.7F:
http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives...y Training and Education Services/1520.7F.pdf

For the most part, put the whole JAG thing behind you and totally focus on OCS. But keep this in mind as you go through the process: setting yourself up to be a good LEP candidate later on. This means, aside from the typical excelling stuff, taking a designation which won't have you locked in for, say, 6-8 years. If you apply/select for Pilot or NFO, they're going to make you serve out your initial commitment, and afterward you probably won't be eligible for the program. Good luck.

clanafanatic09

Thank you for the input. Just to make things clear with the BDCP I can choose from any of the jobs that the navy has for officers that I qualify for?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I think you pick your top 3 choices that you are qualified for and the board picks your job based off of several different factors including the needs of the Navy.

clanafanatic09

Another Question

Does anyone have any idea how it would work if i am an air force reserve and then choose to apply for the BDCP?

1. Would it look bad to them?
2. Is this allowed?

I know I ask a lot of questions but everyone on this forum is very helpful and i appreciate everything.

P3 F0

None
This is all I can find right now...
If you’re a civilian or enlisted inactive reservist of any armed service working toward your bachelor’s degree, the Navy’s Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BDCP) could give you the financial boost you need to complete your college degree requirements-and help you become a Naval Reserve officer at the same time.
From this site.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
1. No
2. You probably need a release from your command allowing you to start the application process.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hey I can give you some firsthand experience with this. If you're not contracted with ROTC yet then you can go ahead with BDCP. If you have a scholarship or are contracted I would not suggest dropping it for the reason that if you do you'll be going straight to Basic or you'll be paying them back every dime they spent on you. Fortunately when I got out of AROTC I was not contracted. Are you an advanced course cadet? Meaning are you in your 3rd or 4th year?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
What if i am in Army ROTC?

Does which school I am getting my degree matter? Do they look into this? Do they pick others with a lower GPA if it done a so called better school?

I ask because I am in the summer going into my Sr. year and taking SAT's ACT's, extra classes and such not depend on what school I go to and I need to make sure I have the right schools in mind and not just settling for my states main university. I like in Oahu, btw.

I was wondering if taking classes at a community college for two years and then transferring to a so called better school look better or is just a waste of time?

From this earlier post in another thread...that you posted..I thought you were not even in college yet..so then why does this matter?

Boomer91

I am prior enlisted (active Navy) and had another 4 year obligation to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). I had to get a conditional release to terminate my IRR obligation if I was picked up for BDCP officer. I was picked up and no more IRR. There is a form that your admin. will have to approve your conditional release. I am not sure if it works the same way with different services but I would imagine it is very similar.

flopper

expenses and I am not sure if the state of Hawaii offers high accredited schools in the eyes of the powers that be
It would mean a lot of someone replied.

Thank you.

What is wrong with U of Hawaii? Trust me if the Navy was only accepting Ivy league applicants there would be a shortage of officers fast.

What if i am in Army ROTC?

If you are under any contract to the government with another armed/uniformed force than you will need a DD368 which is a request for conditional release from the said agency. A formal letter is the norm to accompany such a request to your current commander. If you need to know more let me know. http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0368.pdf