• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I have a couple questions

clanafanatic09

Does which school I am getting my degree matter? Do they look into this? Do they pick others with a lower GPA if it done a so called better school?

I ask because I am in the summer going into my Sr. year and taking SAT's ACT's, extra classes and such not depend on what school I go to and I need to make sure I have the right schools in mind and not just settling for my states main university. I like in Oahu, btw.

I was wondering if taking classes at a community college for two years and then transferring to a so called better school look better or is just a waste of time?

I ask because money is not a problem in terms of going to a university, but going to an out of state university might cause one especially if i cannot live at home and have to pay for other expenses and I am not sure if the state of Hawaii offers high accredited schools in the eyes of the powers that be
It would mean a lot of someone replied.

Thank you.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
There is nothing wrong with going to a community college for a couple years before transferring to a 4 year university to finish your degree. It would not be a waste of time. To be competitive you will have show success at the said 4 year university. This means it would prevent you from probably getting selected into BDCP earlier on in college. You would miss out on the opportunity of being in BDCP for a longer period of time. It does not disqualify you from the program.

As for your question about selection of others with lower GPA's at 4 year universities, you are heading down the wrong path. You cannot get selected in a community college. Selection is based on a huge amount of factors, like every part of your application, your degree, graduation date, available OCS date, fiscal year quotas, competition at the selection board, slots at the selection board, etc.

Here's my advice portion seeing that you are in high school. Apply yourself in everything possible and excel. Keep your nose clean. Get involved in clubs and demonstrate leadership potential in them. Do well in school and get a degree in something that you enjoy. Get your butt in every class, every day and study. If you do all these things, when you become eligible to apply you should be good to go. The Navy is looking for capable, driven and motivated individuals. Let your resume demonstrate these qualities.

clanafanatic09

Thank you for the input. I am some what conservative and what to apply for a private Catholic school and I was just worried that maybe because it is not the top school in my state this would be seen bad.

Thank you very much.

The Catholic school is 4 year accredited, so I will be fine there and thank you for all of your advise.

And since i do live on this island there are no navy officers i can go to or drive to so that worries me.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thank you for the input. I am some what conservative and what to apply for a private Catholic school and I was just worried that maybe because it is not the top school in my state this would be seen bad.

Thank you very much.

The Catholic school is 4 year accredited, so I will be fine there and thank you for all of your advise.

And since i do live on this island there are no navy officers i can go to or drive to so that worries me.

No Navy Officers on Oahu? Get atttta here....

clanafanatic09

I did go to that before and they gave me an out of state number so that lead to confusion on what kind of face to face interaction I would be having.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I did go to that before and they gave me an out of state number so that lead to confusion on what kind of face to face interaction I would be having.

Some recruiters hardly every see their candidates..some people drive 8 hours to see their recruiters..so if you could find someone "somewhat" close it would be worth it. You don't have to see them that often, not everyone has a recruiter around the corner. I am one of the fortunate ones who's recruiter is only 20 min away. :eek:

nugget61

pilot
Try calling the 800 number for the O recruiter that sooner posted - online it showed no recruiter near me, but the website lied.
And depending on the degree, UH is thought well of from what I know

clanafanatic09

I need help.

I am unclear on what kind of job I will get after OCS.

I was actually looking to later become JAG, so is there something I can get into that could help me with that or no.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
watch a lot of JAG...the guy on that show was a JAG and an F-14 pilot...i'd ask my recruiter how he did that. just go to your O Recruiter and ask for the HARM Pipeline. :D :sleep_125

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
You know what youre selected for before going to OCS. I don't know about JAG.