• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Husband leaving for OCS tomorrow...

supplywife

Adyson Elizabeth born 2/25/2007
OK...I know over the past couple years, I have never been a "strong member" of Airwarriors, but I know I will be using it 24/7 for the next 13 weeks.

My husband leaves for OCS tomorrow. He is in class 03-06 and I was looking to possibly find others who have a significant other in Pensacola, so I can know what to expect.

I am kinda prepared, because my little brother is in USMC boot camp in San Diego right now (I am flying out for his graduation on Wednesday) but it is sure gonna be different when it is my husband that is gone instead of my brother.

Anyway, I was just looking for any pointers or advice...any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ip568

None
03-06?

My husband leaves for OCS tomorrow. He is in class 03-06

You mean it's August and this is only the third class of the year? That's hard to believe. I didn't realize so few OCS classes were happening.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

navsup

BDCP Supply
ip568 said:
My husband leaves for OCS tomorrow. He is in class 03-06

You mean it's August and this is only the third class of the year? That's hard to believe. I didn't realize so few OCS classes were happening.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

I think OCS classes are numbered by their graduation date. 03-06 would be the 3rd class to graduate in fiscal year 06

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Understand he'll be busy and you may not hear from him for a while.
Best of luck...and welcome to the team.
r/
G

Good luck, I know exactly where you are coming from. My husband just graduated on the 5th. It went by fast for me, but that was due to the fact I had two little ones to keep me busy. I worked out almost every night, seemed to break up the time. I was actually suprised to hear from him as much as possible. Not so much the phone at first, but once they get ahold of a computer you will be suprised how many emails they will drop you...they may be short, but at that point, anything makes your day!!:) good luck, it will be over before you know it..I promise!!:)
Ryann

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
supplywife said:
OK...I know over the past couple years, I have never been a "strong member" of Airwarriors, but I know I will be using it 24/7 for the next 13 weeks.

My husband leaves for OCS tomorrow. He is in class 03-06 and I was looking to possibly find others who have a significant other in Pensacola, so I can know what to expect.

I am kinda prepared, because my little brother is in USMC boot camp in San Diego right now (I am flying out for his graduation on Wednesday) but it is sure gonna be different when it is my husband that is gone instead of my brother.

Anyway, I was just looking for any pointers or advice...any insight would be greatly appreciated.

There are a couple of women here with spouses in the same class, I think. You are welcome to join the Private Spouses Corner on this site, if you haven't already where they've been posting. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions. My husband graduated earlier this year. Good luck to you and your husband.

jreynard

I went through OCS and figured that I would share some advice from my experience. You will hear from your husband about mid-week of the the first week. When he calls he will probably be hoarse and tired. Most likely, he will only be able to talk for about three mins or so. Give him reassurance if he needs it and otherwise just listen, I am sure he will have a lot to say in that few minutes of sanity. For that first week the brief phone call will be his only contact with the outside world. It felt good to not be yelled at for a few minutes. After the first week he will most likely be able to use the computers in the evenings. But if he has stuff to do he might not be able to make time. They literally give you 10hrs of work that needs to be done in 5. You will be in his mind but you may not be a priority for the first few weeks. What ever you do, do not ask him why he hasn't called or written! He will not need the extra pressure from outside of OCS. Just understand that the next 3 months are a time that he needs to selfish. Hope this helps.

jchase01

Hi Jackie,

My boyfriend will be in that class too. Feel free to IM or email me and we can get through it together! I am actually heading to FL with my boyfriend and flying home on Sunday. Where are you?

And I know it was mentioned, but think about joining the Private Spouses Corner because it will help.

supplywife

Thanks for all the info...I have requested to join the Private Spouses corner.

Jaime...we will definitely have to keep in touch. We live in Stillwater, OK.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navsup is right, this is the third OCS class of fiscal year 2006. And Jackie, your husband graduates on my birthday! :)

MIWA05

Jackie-
My boyfriend left on Sunday for 03-06, too. I don't know what to exect either, so I'm trying not to expect much. He is driving to FL- and is in Colorado at the moment. I love the phone calls from the road, but I know communication is going to be scarce for the next couple of weeks/months.
We moved to Seattle almost 2 years ago (home is Michigan) and I'm hoping to move with him when he's finished API (pre-flight?). It's kind of lonely out here, I have friends, but the really good ones are in MI. I'm hoping this forum will be a good outlet for all the crazy feelings I have right now.
Keeping yourself busy is the recommendation I got to make this time pass- I find myself cleaning alot! Hopefully it goes by quick.

Amber
P.S.- I went to school at OU for a year before transferring and I made it to Stillwater once. I love the warm weather in OK!

Britairgal

goodluck and I am sure that everything will be fine !!

Join the PSF and come and let your worries and feelings out with us !!

Brit

snow85

Come on, the FBI would have given him twins!
jackie-- i lived in stilly for a bit.... probably the best part of oklahoma. it's not too bad to have someone in p-cola-- stillwater isn't as far away as it could be. (getting a flight though... going through OKC is your best bet.)

send him letters, constantly, if you can. i sent one daily, sometimes more than once per day, and while i didn't get a huge return, i knew that my effort was appreciated. newspapers and other pieces of home are also welcomed, and very much appreciated. he should be able to tell you what you can and can't send-- for example, if i sent cookies, then i had to send enough for the whole class. anything you send is subject to being used for harassment, so keep that in mind. (also makes great stories later. there are a few threads about those kinds of things on this site. a simple search should help you pull them up.)

you probably won't hear from him much for the first few weeks. after that, he may be able to bust a ninja move, and find a computer. i wouldn't expect a long, personal email though. at least not at first. once the class is given weekend liberty, things will get better, and then again when they're secured. if he's not planning on taking a car, he may want to reconsider. it won't get much use in the beginning, but later on, he'll be glad he has it.

keep yourself busy, and do things that make you happy/ fill you with purpose. that will be evident in your communications with him, and will not only keep you sane, but will help to keep him from worrying about you, and he can stay focused on why he is there. (this applies throughout the entire pipeline.) as you can imagine, it feels good to have your named called out at mail call. plus, insights into your daily life will be welcomed, and any funny stories will probably be shared. you may not know about everyone in his class, but one funny story, and they'll know about you. the people who don't get mail from loved ones will appreciate this, too. definitely let him know that you miss him, and love him, and of course, that you back him, no matter what.

Kitty Kat

Hey Everybody,
I am new here so I'm just trying to learn my way around this site.
My husband left today for OCS. He is also in 03-06 class. I'm studying in College Station and a proud Aggie - WHOOP! I have not been apart from my husband for more than a month, and it is hard for me right now. It is a 10 hour drive to Pensacola, but I won't get to go much because of school.
I'm trying to stay busy, but this first day seems very hard.
Any words from any of you would help.
Thanks a lot.

supplywife

Welcome Kitty Kat!! There is a lot of information on this site and a lot of people who know a lot of information. I have been gone from home since the day my husband left. I did go home for a brief time today and it was miserable. Luckily, ny brother is on his 10 day leave after graduating Marine Corps bootcamp so I have something else to keep me occupied. It is going to be hard to get used to him not being home...the yard already needs mowed!!

Anyway, there are a lot of people here that are going or have been through this before so I guess we'll all just stick together.

AND definitely think about joining the private spouses corner!!!