• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hurricane IKE

rare21

pilot
Contributor
God i hope it hits somewhere else then my neck of the woods in South Texas. During Dolly I was on patrol during the hurricane and had to stay and sleep at the police station for 3 days. But i've been told that if its a CAT 3 or above we're all evacuating so the cities here will be minus any emergency personnel. I can see all the Mexicans breaking into H.E.B. and taking beer instead of food.

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
Has anybody here been through a Cat 3 hurricane before? Kingsville is 20 miles inland. If Ike hits makes landfall as a Category 3 are we expecting catastrophic damage or just a few limbs/powerlines down?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I have. I went through Hurricane Opal in 1995.

As far as damage it greatly depends on what side of the hurricane you're on. The east side sucks.

Then other things that come into play are elevation and such.

Put it this way. Not a shingle was lost off our house but the person across the street had an oak tree uprooted in their yard.

Depending on whether it is a strong 3 and the area greatly determines how catastrophic it is.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Either way, those of us who live on the island should start getting our things ready for evac. Here's a little pic to show what to expect if it's a major hurricane.
HRSS2.JPG

UORBulldog

SO.. first floor apartment at Beach Club (the orangey-red zone on Whitecap in the above picture), Cat III, when we talk about a storm surge are we talking like a few inches underwater, or like 20 feet? Are my brand new TV and couch going to be ok, is all I really care about

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SO.. first floor apartment at Beach Club (the orangey-red zone on Whitecap in the above picture), Cat III, when we talk about a storm surge are we talking like a few inches underwater, or like 20 feet? Are my brand new TV and couch going to be ok, is all I really care about

If it's coming ashore as a CAT 3, I'd take them with you. Or put them in the biggest ziplock ever. Load up everything you care about, or make sure your insurance is up to date. Get good pictures and video of everything pre-storm. Write down serial & model numbers. That is what you pay all those premiums for. If you are lucky, you won't need any of this. If not, you will regret not having it.

You'll have rising water and if a window breaks, all will be wet. Even if it's boarded up, a tree or something can get thrown into it. Then you've got the looters. I'm sure Corpus won't have this phenonema, but why not be prepared?

UORBulldog

I also saw this on the Caller Times website:

"After a hurricane evacuation, Padre Island residents need two pieces of identification to get back on the island, said Padre Island Property Owners Association spokeswoman Beverly Williams. One has to be a picture ID, the other could be another form of identifier such an automobile insurance card or registration. People who have weekend or vacation homes on the island can get an island reentry card from the owner’s association office at 14015 Fortuna Bay Dr. The office phone number is 949-7025."

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I also saw this on the Caller Times website:

"After a hurricane evacuation, Padre Island residents need two pieces of identification to get back on the island, said Padre Island Property Owners Association spokeswoman Beverly Williams. One has to be a picture ID, the other could be another form of identifier such an automobile insurance card or registration. People who have weekend or vacation homes on the island can get an island reentry card from the owner’s association office at 14015 Fortuna Bay Dr. The office phone number is 949-7025."

I think you also need to have proof that you live on the island. Either an address on the island on your ID or a electric bill of some sort.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think you also need to have proof that you live on the island. Either an address on the island on your ID or a electric bill of some sort.

FTR, I remember them saying that an island address on your ID is NOT enough. You need a copy of a utility bill too.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Heard the hurricane hunter's check in on uniform this afternoon. Notably the forecast track has shifted north of Corpus, so that would at least put us on the "good" side of the storm.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
If you go to PIPOA and get the card, that will cover you to get back on the island. Or such is the story the secy told me.

If you have a photo ID with your island address AND a utility bill, that will get you back on, too.

Supposedly.

STLEngineer

pilot
I can imagine the damage to NASCC would be pretty bad. The place floods in heavy rains. Last summer or fall half the base was under water from just rainstorms. Throw on some storm surge.... :eek:

Hope you all are ready for the Las Cruces det of a lifetime (as in it will take a lifetime to get done with primary :D).

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
I say relocate Kingsville to El Centro anyhow. The town's not much better but San Diego is only 2 hours away and sooooo much nicer than Corpus or San Antonio...

stickygdm

pilot
I say relocate Kingsville to El Centro anyhow. The town's not much better but San Diego is only 2 hours away and sooooo much nicer than Corpus or San Antonio...

If we could bring the Kings1,2,&3 MOAs with us, we could do it. Airspace would be a big restriction out there.

BTW, first person to see Jim Cantore from the weather channel in the area let me know... that might be the trigger mechanism for the evac! Also let's be sure to invite hm to the next winging!