• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Humps

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

How far are the humps at TBS? Was that the most physically demanding thing while there? I heard TBS called The Body Softener.. Why is this? Thanks!

S/F

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Longest hump is 15 miles. Our 15 miler was more boring than physically demanding.

The most physically demanding thing we did there was movement to contact. It's a 3 KM movement at a quick pace with full gear, complete with 3 assaults. Sign up to reserve your PRC-119 today. Expect a couple to drop from each platoon, but the majority of people do just fine on it.

TBS is called "The Body Softener" because alot of times the days are filled with non-PT events. Organized PT probably goes on an average of less than once a week, and when it does happen it's usually boots and utes, more likely to be groundfighting than a tough run. Also, your days are generally filled and leave you so exhausted that it's really tough to get motivated to go run or lift on your own.

airwinger

pilot
(putting in the old timer voice) In the old corps of 2002, we had a 20 miler. I Had the radio for every hump except a 6 miler, good way to destroy your old knees, but at least you get some PT out of those slow and boring humps. The ecourse was tough in the heat, but that of course is individual effort.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think we in Echo 02 were the last ones to do the 20 miler (8 hrs in the pouring rain...hooray). The humps in general aren't bad, save for the 10 miler...for some reason it was by far the worst.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Ditto on the 10 mile hump being the worst one. We had the most heat casualties on it in my company (F 03). I'm betting it was because new 2ndLTs don't always know how to hydrate properly yet during FEX I. I don't think that there were any other heat casualties during the entire rest of our six months. Of course, it helps when it's nice and cool...

KBayDog

We (Echo '04) just finished our hump package last week. TBS is now incorporating battlefield studies with some hikes. You have a class the day before about the battle and a few lieutenants are assigned to describe the location/battle at differents points on the hike. For our 10-miler, we went to Spotsylvania Courthouse, and for the 15-miler we went to Chancellorsville. The pace was the standard 3-3.5 mph, and being on the battlefields helped break up the monotony of the Quantico Highlands. (No CRF or Montanyan ambushes to worry about...lol...) The only down side is that having off-site hikes requires more time - loading 7-tons with gear, loading busses with lieutenants, 45 minute bus rides, unloading/staging at the site, etc. Figure at least two hours on either side. Suddenly a 5-hour, 15-mile hike takes 9-10 hours.

No, the hikes are not rough. Boring, but not rough.

Unless you hike Washboard Trail. Then, all bets are off...

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
So, would you say that the humps at TBS are easier or more difficult than the ones at OCS?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
The humps back from the rifle range were the worst I've ever been on, but those are SPC dependant. The company sized scheduled humps are usually slower but heavier, to me they were easier.

mattwieand

Humpin is pretty easy; all you have to do is stay with the guy in front of you. It sucks, but it is pretty mindless. I was Bravo 03 and we did the last 20 mile hump that I know of and I carried the radio for the whole thing. My dad had a great saying that humping always reminded me of. "Life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes." Think about it, its true.

Status
Not open for further replies.