• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

humanities degree (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psrogers

Intel Officer
Well G, that sounds like bull, from what I know. Real happy to hear that you are reapplying though- you've got a good attitude and just need to keep 'selling' yourself to the board- eventually they'll want you and then you can show'em it was a good decision if you want to.

mimisoko9

all great feedback, thanks. i'll give it my best shot and see how those test scores turn out. by the way, to be more specific, it was johns hopkins university with BA in philosophy.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Originally posted by mimisoko9by the way, to be more specific, it was johns hopkins university with BA in philosophy.
Well, don't keep us in suspense..... What IS the meaning of life???
icon_smile_wink.gif

<<Aimee says I WANNA KNOW IN ENGLISH (NO NAUTICAL TERMS) HOW TO LACE MY SHOES>>

BB

I was actually very surprised to see how many of my fellow Officer Candidates have liberal arts degrees. The number of history, english, and political science degrees seems to get higher with each classes.

I agree with the comment that the educational diversity is good for the Navy. However, I think I would keep the fact that I have a philosophy degree to myself; the Drill Instructors just might have a little too much fun with that, man [B)]

Good luck to everyone headed my way!

Hudson

I have a degree in Music conducting...(waiting for laughter to die down)... and I just got picked up for SNFO on the 24th of December. So don't assume that tech degrees are good or that Humanities or arts degrees are bad. For all that don't get accepted on the first try, improve your scores and write the best letter of reconsideration you can muster. Good luck.

Agent00JP

You know what they say, "PoliSci and Fly!"

I got selected for SNA with a BS in PoliSci, minor in Econ
Perhaps it was the courses in Political Terrorism, National Security Policy and Espionage (all taught by former CIA guys) that allowed me to get by w/o a BS in Techno geeky hermit studies.

BTW, Hudson, when's your OCS date? Anybody else going March 8th?

JP

BYSun

From the number of response on this topic I think it is safe to say that one's degree is certainly not the deciding factor for which community you get assigned to. I am was an Anthropology major
boring_125.gif
in college, but I had good LORs, and my professional background as well as my persnal statement (real important) demonstrated the qualities not necessarily highlighted by my major. As a result I got turned down for SWO
censored_125.gif
(first choice) and picked up for SNFO (second choice)
jump2_125.gif
. Of course, for all I know the board at Millington
propeller_125.gif
could be making their decisions based upon the position of the stars in the night sky or chatting up a llama for its opinion.
boggled_125.gif

Best of luck to all of you, and for those that got in, congrats.
party_125.gif

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

funkonomics

those i've talked to in the SF bay area, most were non-technical degrees. myself, i have a BS in Criminal Justice, which everyone knows involves a lot of flight time
eyebrows_125.gif

kimphil

Ha, I've got you all beat. I've got a BA in Art. Good major for being a barista. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's from an Ivy League school.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

ckligg01

radio and tv production from a small school in Eastern Kentucky and I got SNA. Me and my $24,000 education leave for OCS on Saturday.

bisouss69

From what I was told by other intel officers is that as long as you have a degree and can write your essays in crayon then you will get picked up for ocs.

BYSun

Not necessarily true, as you can see from many other posts. A degree from an accredited university is a requirement, but getting in to OCS entails much, MUCH more. I am not sure if that is what you meant, but I felt the clarification had to be made.

Good luck,

Bryce

In the end it all comes down to a simple choice, get busy livin' or get busy dyin' - The Shawshank Redemption

WFU2USN

bisouss69,

I agree w/ BYSun - it definately takes a lot more than an accredited degree and the ability to write in crayon to get into OCS. And of the designators, Intel. is one of the smallest communities, as well as pretty challenging to get into. I know enlisted intel personnel who haven't been picked up for it.

Robin
IS2(SCW)

thartley

I have a BA in History from a small school with a GPA of 2.4. I applied for a Marine air contract and got in. I had one college Physics course and that was it. It was hard to understand all of the technical stuff and still is but not impossible. I now have my wings and am learning to fly Huey's so anything is possible.. If you want to apply then go for it. I know a lot of senior officers who have BA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.