• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

humanities degree (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimisoko9

i have a degree from a widely respected and world-known university but it's a liberal arts degree. i'm a bright girl and both my parents are navy. are my prospects hopeless simply because i don't have a science-oriented degree? i called my recruiter today and he wasn't too encouraging.

feedback?

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
A "world-known university" and "liberal arts degree" both cover a lot of ground, so it's hard to give you an answer. Not to mention the fact that you didn't indicate what designator(s) you're interested in. But there are pilots in the navy with degrees ranging from music to engineering to English to mathematics.

<<Aimee says I WANNA KNOW IN ENGLISH (NO NAUTICAL TERMS) HOW TO LACE MY SHOES>>

grouch

The answer will always be discouraging if you don't apply. Sorry to sound glib but put that app in! Best of luck.

ghost_ttu

Don't get in too big of a hurry though. Openings are at a trickle at the moment, so you have PLENTY of time to study for your ASTB and get fit for your PFT....Not trying to be a pessimist here, just bringing to mind the timing is everything portion of the equation of getting accepted.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt....Didn't say it always works though"

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I must agree with GM, there are guys here in primary with elem education, psych, geog,as well as a gambit of engineer types. A good GPA, ASTB and PFT scores are the keys.

Dave

JGalus

Hey! I am finishing up my degree in English and American Literature from a locally known and widely disrespected university and I got picked up for BDCP and SWO. So in my case, my choice in univerisities didn't influence the Navy's decision to select me. I do stand in agreement with everyone else, you won't know if you don't submit. Futhermore, it doesn't matter whether or not the recruiter is encouraging, it is his or her job to submit qualified applicants. Just my two cents.

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

Goliath112

Originally posted by solenita72
Pretty much any degree is good for surface warfare.

c'mon these guys are the backbone of the fleet. and its harder to get SWO than aviation slots right now. Why would you study humanities and want to be a Surface warfare officer anyway? Anyhow its like what the others said. Go for it and Apply.

JGalus

Goliath,

I didn't study the Humanities to become a SWO. The decision to be a Liberal Arts major was based on the fact that I wanted a classical education centered on the Humanistic traditions of Ancient Rome. I wanted to be a well rounded person who could intelligently discuss art, history, literature, politics and philosophy, and now with two and a half weeks of school remaining that is what I think I am. But I do agree with you in regards to being a SWO. I wanted to get SWO because I want to be a leader in the Navy. Being a SWO in the Navy is like being a pilot in the Air Force and an infantry officer in the Army, you are the tip of the spear. In my opinion the Navy needs diversity in all forms and shapes, not only educational, to maintain its position as the world's greatest naval force. If the Navy were to limit itself to selecting individuals with the same educational background for specific jobs it would be awful. MIMI JUST PUT YOUR PACKAGE IN...me and my fellow liberal artists have your back! Once again just my three cents and backing up my field of study.

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

Dave Shutter

Mimisoko...

I spent a month working in the API student control office recently on a variety of odd jobs. One of them was compiling stats for an instructor course and comparing them to ten yrs/ ago. One that relates to both you and I: Tech degrees. It's actually up to about 47% from 42% in '92. So basically less than half of Navy SNA/SNFO's actually have those infamous "tech degrees". However the last ten years (ecomony great!) have generally been slow ones for recruiting.

That's all gone out the window since Sept. 11. Retention is very high and more people are joining which equals less slots for you. When CNRC has stacks of apps and few slots they have their pick of the superstars. IE; tech degree, athlete, perfect scores, high-end references, etc.

Does this mean all is lost, absolutely not. A LA/BA is not the kiss of death to an app, I know. Just bear in mind that it's extremely competetive and be prepared for rejection. It's happened to more than a few SNA's now in training, I know. Do your best on your PFT/ASTB and put your best foot forward in your application. Praying never hurts. If you get shot down at first you can re-take your tests and re-apply.

If your app does end up at the board a second time, they may say a lot of things about you but the one thing they can't say is that you're a quitter.

Bets of luck

Goliath112

Originally posted by JGalus
Goliath,

I didn't study the Humanities to become a SWO. The decision to be a Liberal Arts major was based on the fact that I wanted a classical education centered on the Humanistic traditions of Ancient Rome. I wanted to be a well rounded person who could intelligently discuss art, history, literature, politics and philosophy, and now with two and a half weeks of school remaining that is what I think I am. But I do agree with you in regards to being a SWO. I wanted to get SWO because I want to be a leader in the Navy. Being a SWO in the Navy is like being a pilot in the Air Force and an infantry officer in the Army, you are the tip of the spear. In my opinion the Navy needs diversity in all forms and shapes, not only educational, to maintain its position as the world's greatest naval force. If the Navy were to limit itself to selecting individuals with the same educational background for specific jobs it would be awful. MIMI JUST PUT YOUR PACKAGE IN...me and my fellow liberal artists have your back! Once again just my three cents and backing up my field of study.

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

well said. good luck at ocs and swos

psrogers

Intel Officer
I doubt the specific degree matters...

Go to www.navy.mil, then 'Navy Leadership,' then 'Biographies of other flag officers,' and you will see that the brightest minds in the Navy studied a wide variety of undergraduate curricula, which obviously means that just to get in, you can study whatever you want, assuming you don't want to be a nuke or something like that. Just excel in your field.

Hey Goliath, what have you been doing lately? What's your outlook?

Goliath112

Hey man. Well my outlook is too start applying to other programs too. I am still shooting for SWO. And I will apply again March or April. I am also looking at some federal internship programs. I really want to go back in the Navy though. I was real upset with the rejection letter saying that I should go enlisted. (not that enlisting is bad) but they don't even try to acknowledge the fact that I already was enlisted before. They might have well said "consider going to college" Anyway I will apply 2 more times. after that I won't applly again. Not to be negative but, I have a family to think of and can't just focus all my energy in one basket... or is that eggs...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Goliath,

Apply again and again. Check your package to see if you can make it more attractive. Higher scores, letters or whatever. Be persistant. Heck, I even called the Officer community manager and talked to him to get some insight as well as name recognition.

Dave

langley310

mimisoko...

I have a B.S. in Physical Therapy and was recently accepted as a SNA. About 8 hrs of physics and chemistry are as technical as things got for me in college! My recruiter emphasized the importance of the ATSB to me prior to beginning the application process. I used study guides to help fill in the gaps of my non-technical degree. I do have to accept the fact that future aviation classes might not come as easy to me because of my background. Like other's have said....i think the Navy is looking for a well rounded application, good test scores, GPA, and most of all the ability to learn and want to learn. By the way, i took the test with a guy who was an economics major...and he was accepted before i was......you'll never know unless you apply!!

Louie

Status
Not open for further replies.