• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HS to Whidbey?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
You can still be "selected" for HS Japan in the RAG. That is probably why it doesnt just say HS San Diego. Its all about needs of the navy, and there are some other reasons we have for that.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Also - Glass Cockpit

Nothing new there...
401180519_3772a6bf1d.jpg

It's really unfortunate that NASWI SAR, and Station SAR in general, is seen as such a career killer. Especially now that you'd be flying fleet aircraft and not legacy airframes.

Also, to the OP, your selection sheet may still HS-West because no one bothered to change it. My selection sheet said HC, despite the fact that they'd been HSC squadrons for awhile.

MasterBates

2 questions:

Do you have RAST in a 60S (seeing a RAST REL button)?

Where is youe EMERG REL button.. Your WPN FIRE is where the emergency release for whatevers armed (MAD, Hook, RAST, Hoist) is in the 60B.

Pags

N/A
pilot
2 questions:

Do you have RAST in a 60S (seeing a RAST REL button)?

Where is youe EMERG REL button.. Your WPN FIRE is where the emergency release for whatevers armed (MAD, Hook, RAST, Hoist) is in the 60B.

No RAST. So the button doesn't do anything. Our EMERG REL (cargo hook, hoist, or both) is on the right side of the cyclic. You can kind of see the lip surrounding the button underneath the ball. And the switch above the 4 way trim is the WCA/Acknowledge button, I think in the 60B it was the hoist switch.

MasterBates

Yes, that is the hoist switch in the 60B.

Starting at the hoist going clockwise, on a 60B, Hoist, EMERG REL, Cargo Hook, DEPART HOVER, Trim, and RAST (Hauldown Cable) Relase.

AFCS RELEASE and Countermeasre Dispense would be out of sight, along with ICS call.

hscs

pilot
You can still be "selected" for HS Japan in the RAG. That is probably why it doesnt just say HS San Diego. Its all about needs of the navy, and there are some other reasons we have for that.

concur -- saw this happen a couple of times. You never know when someone's spouse or child will fail their overseas screen and then Big Navy needs a body to be sent to Japan.

MasterBates

Happens more often than you think..

My wife-at-the-time failed her overseas screening for NAS Fallon (funny but they do require it) and I ended up with orders to HTs instead. And some other guy got to fly Hueys..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nothing new there...

It's funny how anti-climatic the glass cockpit is. That's basically the same as the legacy cockpits, except they're 2D rather than actually "there" in 3D. I dare say they're even a bit harder to read, just because of the "limited" resolution compared to what a real gauge can give you.

That all said, I bet it's SOOOOO much nicer on goggles.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's funny how anti-climatic the glass cockpit is. That's basically the same as the legacy cockpits, except they're 2D rather than actually "there" in 3D. I dare say they're even a bit harder to read, just because of the "limited" resolution compared to what a real gauge can give you.

That all said, I bet it's SOOOOO much nicer on goggles.

In the end, the glass cockpit is nothing special. Just a different way of displaying the same information. I guess when I first got in the sims, it was weird have pixelated gauges, but you end up using the digital readout on them a lot more than the "gauge" itself. Which creates a tendency to gnat's ass it at first, since you now know that you're going 121 KIAS, instead of pretty close to 120.

Pretty seemless on goggles. It looks exactly the same. My only real gripe is that the second nav needle and it's bearing/dme info uses purple as its color. Which is hard to read on a black background at night.

I've heard that some old guys who flew other aircraft for awhile (read: longer than TRACOM) have problems with it causing vertigo more than steam gauges. For whatever reason, Sierra only guys don't seem to have this problem.

kejo

pilot
how is the glare on the glass cockpits? granted anything with a glass cover is going to reflect light, but it seems at least the configuration of the traditional cockpit with multiple individual gauges allows glare to be broken up a little bit...

...not that i have a real need to be concerned, i'm going to the -60B :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've heard that some old guys who flew other aircraft for awhile (read: longer than TRACOM) have problems with it causing vertigo more than steam gauges. For whatever reason, Sierra only guys don't seem to have this problem.

Interesting, I wonder why that is. Maybe because you see movement better out of the corner of the eye w/ a more crisp instrument, unlike steam gauges, which kind of "go away" when you don't want to see info from one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
how is the glare on the glass cockpits? granted anything with a glass cover is going to reflect light, but it seems at least the configuration of the traditional cockpit with multiple individual gauges allows glare to be broken up a little bit...

...not that i have a real need to be concerned, i'm going to the -60B :D

I was wondering that too. Depending on how old the MPD was on the Bravo, there were some times when I had to shield the screen w/ my hand from the sun to actually read it. Rare, but it would happen.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
how is the glare on the glass cockpits?

Not bad at all, due to the absurdly large glare shields. Unfortunately, those glare shields plus the nose-high hover attitude gives a poor sight picture in the hover.

hscs

pilot

This is pure wanking. They (ex-46 drivers) said that lack of 3-d AI and pitch bias was causing this. None of the guys who flew legacy -60 helos had a problem. Kinda the same crap as how the inadvertant load releases were caused by EMI.....