• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to prepare for water survival for a poor swimmer?

csanfilippo9

The water survival is, by far, the thing I am most worried about for API.

I am a terrible swimmer and barely passed the third-class swim qual, luckily on my first try. Still, it was embarrassing to see how badly my swimming skills have deteriorated, and I feel like I panic when in the water. I’ve read a lot of threads on here about water survival for API, and right now, I can’t envision myself even coming close to passing it even though most people seem to think it is quite easy. I literally cannot do any of the requirements, and the helo dunker and mile swim in particular seem impossible to pass.

I probably have about a year before I get the chance to go to API, so I am going to try and train as much as I can before then. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of regimens or workouts I should be doing (should I take lessons, are there any good videos/websites detailing strokes or techniques, etc.)? Is there a specific stroke that works best for the mile swim? And for the helo dunker, is there even any way I can prepare for this? I would appreciate any general advice about water survival as well.
If you can’t pass it they will send you to remedial you’ll do 10 days of remedial swim where they can ensure you’ll pass the water survival course before sending you back to the class. Source me I was a remedial kid a few weeks ago. Couldn’t breast stroke did the 10 days turned out fine.

Articuno

SNFO PROREC-Y
learn how to scuba dive. It got me over a lot of my fear of the water
I’m late as hell, but big facts on the scuba diving. Nothing boosts your water confidence like dropping your mask and respirator at 30 feet. I did my basic at Dive Pros near the big NEX. Takes 4 days and costs like $200 if I remember correctly. I’ll caveat that with I never really had a fear of drowning until trying scuba in the first place, but definitely no longer had it after the fact.