• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to prepare for water survival for a poor swimmer?

kejo

pilot
It’s extremely rare to fail out of API (NIFE) for water survival. They WILL work with you. Agree with everyone in getting in to remedial or extra training asap. Aviation water survival isn’t about making you Michael Phelps, it’s about teaching you to remain calm, conserve energy, and well…survive!

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I too was a rock, As stated earlier the key is getting comfortable in the water. If you have to do the remedial class. While the Navy instructors are not going to let you slack off they are a good sight better than what the DI's ran in boot camp

HuggyU2

None
No, but it's pretty important to surviving if you go in the drink for one reason or another.
Keep in mind my perspective, Brett... which is why I asked: We don't have this hoop to jump through during our screening for pilot or nav training or when we attend Water Survival.

And yet I've flown a single-engine plane over vast expanses of much of the Earth's oceans, well out of glide distance of any airfield. To include the Barents Sea in the winter.

I'm glad to hear that candidates don't wash out in water survival.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind my perspective, Brett... which is why I asked: We don't have this hoop to jump through during our screening for pilot or nav training or when we attend Water Survival.

And yet I've flown a single-engine plane over vast expanses of much of the Earth's oceans, well out of glide distance of any airfield. To include the Barents Sea in the winter.

I'm glad to hear that candidates don't wash out in water survival.
I get it, but flying over water and operating from an aircraft carrier at sea are fundamentally different categories of risk.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
The water survival is, by far, the thing I am most worried about for API.

I am a terrible swimmer and barely passed the third-class swim qual, luckily on my first try. Still, it was embarrassing to see how badly my swimming skills have deteriorated, and I feel like I panic when in the water. I’ve read a lot of threads on here about water survival for API, and right now, I can’t envision myself even coming close to passing it even though most people seem to think it is quite easy. I literally cannot do any of the requirements, and the helo dunker and mile swim in particular seem impossible to pass.

I probably have about a year before I get the chance to go to API, so I am going to try and train as much as I can before then. Does anyone have any advice on what sort of regimens or workouts I should be doing (should I take lessons, are there any good videos/websites detailing strokes or techniques, etc.)? Is there a specific stroke that works best for the mile swim? And for the helo dunker, is there even any way I can prepare for this? I would appreciate any general advice about water survival as well.
With a year or so to prepare, you should be able to get yourself more than ready before starting swims. I actually found myself in a different scenario than yours when I classed up because I had been in and around water for most of my life and felt fairly confident. I carried that confidence until day 2/3 when we started longer "endurance" swims which were accompanied by the instructors emphasizing form for each of the survival strokes. This, together with the tread/float and other quals, gave me more anxiety than I had expected.

I didn't roll classes or go to remedial, but I learned a valuable lesson about myself and about assessing my abilities realistically. My advice to you would be to get comfortable with keeping your face in the water, whether that be fully submerged holding your breath or just face-down staring at the bottom of the pool. Once you're comfortable doing that, add in some actual strokes to introduce the cardio. The secret is staying calm and breathing just as you would on a long run. You can also find the instructional videos online that they will show you in class. Of course if you're living in Pensacola you could go to the pool on a training day and ask to watch before you class up as well. Best of luck!

Also, once you pass water survival, the second course and helo dunker are a walk in the park (and pretty fun).

Mouselovr

Contributor
If you fail/get pulled, you will go into remediation swim where they will teach you what you need to know to pass the main course. However, you don't want to go to remediation. The instructors are great and super encouraging, however, it's a pain in the butt and it can be avoided with the amount of time you have.

Strokes: freestyle, breaststroke, side stroke and jellyfish backstroke. If you can do these, you'll be fine.

There are two events people struggle with in air water survival (AWS). However, if you really suck, they'll pull you before you even get the chance to fail at one of these. On the first day, they'll have you do some basic strokes, and if you are a risk to your own life, straight to remediation swim. If you make it past the basic strokes, your only real remaining obstacles are these two events: the tread and floats and the tower to line.

Tread and floats: Swim in place (tread) for 2 minutes then deadman float on your front (NOT ON YOUR BACK) for 7 minutes. You'll start in just a swimsuit and you'll progressively add weight until you're in a full flight suit, boots and gear. This is the number #1 thing that people struggle with. People float naturally. Many people who went through remediation claimed they don't float, we had them hold their breath and *magic*, they floated. I can think of 2 individuals out of 100+ people who went through remediation who, despite holding their breath, sunk a little. These men were built like trucks and had 0% body fat on them. They were still able to pass the tread and float with some coaching. The key to the tread and float is to remain calm, hold your breath (to float) and frog kick. In those boots, you will sink like a stone if you try to flutter kick. You will be tired and struggle to stay up after 2 minutes, that's the idea. You need to slow your breathing, take a big breath and chill out to get your heart rate down during the float. You should be bored after a couple of minutes, not panicking for the full exercise. I would recommend getting an old pair of boots + some old clothes and hop in the pool.

Tower to line: You jump off a tower and swim to a mark on the bottom of the pool. I do not know the exact height or distance. Estimates are the tower is 15ft and the distance is 19m. The pool is 25m long, and the mark is around the 3/4 length. While the tread and float is what people struggled with the most, the tower to line is what I saw attrite the most people. Attrition due to AWS is very rare, however, people suffer from a fear of heights that can be extremely challenging to mentally overcome. Tread and floats you have coaching and lifeguards right next to you. Tower to line is you versus that pool, underwater. Just like the tread and floats, you progressively work up from a swimsuit to flight suit and boots. You do not wear extra gear for the tower to line, so do not worry about extra weight. I have a crummy lung capacity, so I personally had a hard time with this. The key to the tower to line is, again, to remain calm. When you put boots on, again, the flutter kick will get you nowhere. You have to frog kick and pull with your arm. To practice this, I would recommend either finding a pool with a high up diving board to jump off of or giving yourself a big push against the wall and then practice holding your breath to make it to that 3/4 mark on the pool. Make sure to jump with the abandon ship position. You can also give yourself some horizontal distance via a "super Mario jump" as to not have to hold your breath as long.

You mentioned being nervous for the mile. Don't. I saw a single person fail the mile, and its because he suffered from a severe cramp and got himself out of the pool. Some get close to the max time but no one ever went over.

Also, helo dunker is a cake walk. If you can pass AWS, you'll pass the helo dunker.

Last edited:

Mos

None
The key to the tread and float is to remain calm, hold your breath (to float) and frog kick.
This is the only thing that I struggled with in every swim phys until recently. I think I finally got the hang of it on my last refresher because it was the first drown proof evolution where I didn't feel like I was on the cusp of drowning.

taxi1

pilot
To practice this, I would recommend either finding a pool with a high up diving board to jump off of or giving yourself a big push against the wall
If you have a local quarry you can practice there too

1338313514_cliff_jump_fail.gif

bakewipa

Thanks for the replies. I think at the very least, I will definitely spend some time playing around underwater just to get more comfortable while submerged since that is what seems to be the most mentally challenging thing for me.

One more question: do they allow you to wear goggles? I feel like actually being able to see underwater would make things a lot easier.

taxi1

pilot
One more question: do they allow you to wear goggles? I feel like actually being able to see underwater would make things a lot easier.
Would you have goggles after ejecting from your E2?

They also don't let you use nose plugs, so your sinuses get flushed with chlorinated water during upside-down activities. Another distraction. It's a feature, not a bug.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Thanks for the replies. I think at the very least, I will definitely spend some time playing around underwater just to get more comfortable while submerged since that is what seems to be the most mentally challenging thing for me.

Only during the mile and the “long swims” which are the practice for the mile