• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to open an F-22 canopy

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
8) They can't be planning to use that saw on the canopy with me in here....Wonder how low I can run this seat down

Seriously, I would not be comfortable with a saw that close to my head.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Close encounters of the saw blade kind

Fly Navy said:
Seriously, I would not be comfortable with a saw that close to my head.

Notice how low he has the seat. Probably felt like the Magician's assistant when they saw the box in half...which would you rather be???

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
but aren't they just radio/EM emissions, which can be spotted anyway?!?!

(I'm not really looking for answers)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Squid said:

I thought they were on that new hush hush spectrum: xm radio, it has no, absolutly NO commercials whatsoever... sooo no need to bring the ipod

but seriously opsec? no need to inquire it works by PFM

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squid said:

(I'm not really looking for answers)

You need a Link 16 brief; the frequency hopping schemes /rates would blow your mind.....if you can make a LPD AESA radar, datalink/radios are the stepping stone in frequency hopping for anti-jam and low probability of detection

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
You need a Link 16 brief; the frequency hopping schemes /rates would blow your mind.....if you can make a LPD AESA radar, datalink/radios are the stepping stone in frequency hopping for anti-jam and low probability of detection
Also depends on who's doing the detecting. The new Prowler ICAP III gear does some pretty amazing shiznit.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One of my A-6 Buds had a cockpit smoke/fire ... came off the target @ Boardman, OR and made an emergency landing @ Spokane -- he/they mistook it for Fairchild AFB .... :) .... the crash crew @ Spokane were going to "cut" them out of the cockpit with an AXE !!! .... until the boys opened the canopy, STOPPED THE INSANITY and stepped out. :icon_rast

48315519_42cec5b36e_m.jpg
gbq04308.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
One of my A-6 Buds had a cockpit smoke/fire ... came off the target @ Boardman, OR and made an emergency landing @ Spokane -- he/they mistook it for Fairchild AFB .... :) .... the crash crew @ Spokane were going to "cut" them out of the cockpit with an AXE !!! .... until the boys opened the canopy, STOPPED THE INSANITY and stepped out. :icon_rast

48315519_42cec5b36e_m.jpg
gbq04308.jpg
That's still a hell of a long way to go when you're on fire. What about Yakima, or Tri-Cities?

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
That's still a hell of a long way to go when you're on fire. What about Yakima, or Tri-Cities?

Brett
If memory serves .... @1971-72 time frame .... TriCities was not on our list of "secondary" bingo fields --- no crash & rescue at all. Plus it was a "short" runway with no arresting gear.

Yakima WAS a secondary with minimal crash & rescue --- I almost went into there once single engine but driving snow/low visibility precluded it --- but it's almost the same distance as Spokane/Fairchild from Boardman --- again, I'm not measuring it; just waggin' it from memory --- and Fairchild (they landed @ Spokane by mistake :)) was our "primary" bingo from Boardman at that time if we couldn't make it back to NUW.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
they landed @ Spokane by mistake :))
Yeah, I've heard some stories fo guys making that mistake. You can do that at lots of places. Dallas, Anchorage, etc.

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Yeah, I've heard some stories fo guys making that mistake. You can do that at lots of places. Dallas, Anchorage, etc.

Brett

yeah, i've *never* made that mistake going into Fairchild. The TACAN for runway 22 (or whatever the west facing runway is) lines you up pretty well on the similar Spokane runway and if you don't look at your DME and think about it for 2 seconds you can easily bite off and take the visual to Spokompton. Doesn't help when your CDI is offset 1/2 mile either. Again, not that this happened to me or anything, just a guy I know about, met in a bar. :D