• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to impress a Marine recruiter?

littletuvok

All good advice, particularly the sleeveless t-shirt, but I'm a little perplexed by the medical disclosure bit. I thought that a "history" of depression was a disqualifying condition, so I needed to tell them about it and get a waiver. I think the last time I saw a psychologist was when I was 15 and he said I was good to go, and I was medicated for it. If I don't have to disclose it, I'm not going to because it's well in my past, just making sure I don't do something iffy here. And will any of this stuff affect me getting a security clearance?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
woah wait a minute.

If you were medicated then it's a whole different ball game.

And just to be perfectly clear, not disclosing information is a lot different than lying about it when you're plainly asked for it.

There is a reason they ask these questions, and it's because somebody somewhere with stars on his collar thought that it was beneficial to the people that you could potentially be leading.

So here's the skinny,

If he doesn't ask? no need to tell him. BUT if he does, you need to come clean. If you do that, chances are your OSO will be willing to work with you to get the appropriate waivers. If you lie to him/her, then chances are they may not find out, but if your OSO does find out, then not only does that look bad on you integrity wise, but he/she will probably just not give two shits about if you get a waiver or not.

Your OSO is not there to disqualify you, so do not lie to him/her.

DevilDog9782

Just to clarify/add-on....

You will eventually be asked directly (either by the OSO or on forms) many times about any previous depression. Do not lie about it. There are waivers, and although a bit of a headache, many aviators and Sailors/Marines have them for various reasons. If you get the waiver, you will not have to worry about it in the future (unless it's one of the ones like I have where every so often you have to resubmit). If you lie, there is the chance it comes up at a later date for whatever reason and now you have to worry about losing your commission/security clearance whatever.

As far as the interview. Don't stress so much about it-the real interview is called OCS and will be the hardest interview you have ever had :). You will meet with the OSO or OSA and basically just chat to see if this is what you want and whether you are qualified (the depression thing may or may not come up). They really only fill out a small sheet with a few ratings to the board and a comment section(ie. dressed professionally, speaks professionally, seemed enthusiastic etc). It is not a big deal to the board - of much more importance is your pft scores, grades, and extracurricular activities. If you want to get a good "grade" from the OSO, even though it means little to the board, show him that you care by submitting required forms in a timely manner, taking the appropriate tests, and improving your pft scores. Best of luck...any specific questions pm me.

Bevo16

pilot
I was surprised to click on the thread titled "How to impress a Marine..." on the main board and find some serious responses.

I expcted to see a lot of things like:

Count to 10.

Say your ABC's.

Walk and chew gum at the same time.

String 5 words together without the use of "yut".

:)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was surprised to click on the thread titled "How to impress a Marine..." on the main board and find some serious responses.

I expcted to see a lot of things like:

Count to 10.

Say your ABC's.

Walk and chew gum at the same time.

String 5 words together without the use of "yut".

:)

How about ending every sentence with "HOORAH" or "MARINE CORPS"? I think that's another requirement right there.

torpedo0126

All good advice, particularly the sleeveless t-shirt, but I'm a little perplexed by the medical disclosure bit. I thought that a "history" of depression was a disqualifying condition, so I needed to tell them about it and get a waiver. I think the last time I saw a psychologist was when I was 15 and he said I was good to go, and I was medicated for it. If I don't have to disclose it, I'm not going to because it's well in my past, just making sure I don't do something iffy here. And will any of this stuff affect me getting a security clearance?

this is precisely the discussion nocal and I were having. every where you go in the Navy and Marine Corps, you will constantly be filling out Medical history forms. the are numerous problems with lying about your medical past, even down to criminal charges (lying on a Federal form).

If the OSO doesn't ask you about your depression, someone else will. To be honest, you could very likely get away with not revealing it. But if anyone finds out about it who know what could happen.

Also, remember the difference between not offering information and not disclosing information. Lying by omission is lying.

Lastly, I don't know if depression would affect your security clearance...look up the SF86 on google. That is the paperwork you will fill out for a secret security clearance. I have not applied for a top secret yet, so I can't tell you the difference. Also, if you lie about your medical history, I could see how one could see you as a security risk.

littletuvok

Alright, I think I get the idea. I shouldn't put every piece of dirt I can think up about myself on my resume, but if anyone asks I need to tell them. I guess I had the wrong idea about the OSO. As long as I'm professional and motivated it'll be fine. What I should really be worried about is the selection board. Stay tuned for a new topic by me: How to impress a selection board. Thanks.

Yankee Uniform Tango
^^
Holy fu$%shi$%

:sleep_125

Is there something wrong with looking professional? What would you wear to a job interview? Yeah maybe you can get away wearing a polo and khakis, but it's all about how serious you are. I wore a suit and a tie when I first met with my OSO; found out afterward that it was a requirement in my office anyway.

The kid that started the thread has an underage drinking ticket and diagnosed depression; every little thing helps - if showing the OSO (amongst other things) that you're willing to put effort into meeting him not dressed like a douchebag, that could make him more willing to fight for his waivers.

m26

Contributor
No, nothing wrong with it. Seems a little overkill, though. I suppose it is better to be overdressed than underdressed. I certainly wasn't suggesting blue jeans and a t-shirt.

I guess I envisioned a black suit, for whatever reason, and that's just too serious. :eek:

I confess, I wore a shirt and tie, and went back and forth on a blazer for about 8 minutes. I went without it only b/c I convinced myself it didn't fit, only to see Todd McShay sportin' the exact same look on ESPN the next day (looked like a ********, though - but when doesn't he?).