• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to impress a Marine recruiter?

littletuvok

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum, but I've read a lot of posts over the past year. I've been considering getting into the military as a pilot ever since graduating high school, and have finally decided this is the path I want to take. This is after getting my PPL in May 2008 and being faced with graduation this May. The Marines look most attractive to me right now, because I figure if I'm signing up for the next few years, I better make sure I'm trying my damndest. Well, the recruiters were on campus a couple days ago and I told them we could get together this week to talk about OCS. I realize now that this interview may be the most important one of my life, because I have to make a good impression if I'm going to get this opportunity. I've been told flat out by a couple of my employers that I don't interview well. I've got good grades (3.5/4.0), am physically fit, but I have an underage drinking ticket (when I was 19, I'm 23 now), and was treated for depression when I was 14. I'm not sure yet, but I may need a vision waiver/PRK as well. Basically, I really need to make myself look stellar this week if I'm going to get any sort of shot at this. Any advice?

torpedo0126

Well I'm not exactly sure how the Marine Corps works, but I am fairly sure you don't want to be speaking to a recruiter but to the nearest OSO.

Also, while it is important to appear professional, the I don't believe the recruiters will be the ones determining if you get selected or not. That will be up to a board based on your credentials.

Again, I am not sure how the Marine selection works.

m26

Contributor
Use the enter and tab key

(I kid, I kid ;))

Well I'm not exactly sure how the Marine Corps works, but I am fairly sure you don't want to be speaking to a recruiter but to the nearest OSO.

I suspect he was talking to the right people. On my campus, a Captain, 2LT, and Staff Sgt do the recruiting, but they're all officer recruiters. I've seen Army enlisted recruiters on other campuses, but not Marine Corps.

OP - This sounds like an informal discussion with the person you will work with to get to OCS. The later stages may be more difficult if you have interviewing problems. Talk to your employers to find out what you did that was off-putting, and try your best to correct it.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
If you can pass the ASTB, run fast, and do a bunch of pull-ups, that's about 90% of the battle right there. If you have all of those and aren't a complete retard when communicating with people you will impress them enough to get an air contract. No one will give a shit about an underage drinking ticket. You should probably keep that depression treatment thing to yourself though, I'm not sure if that kind of stuff requires waivers or whatever.

m26

Contributor
If you can pass the ASTB, run fast, and do a bunch of pull-ups, that's about 90% of the battle right there. If you have all of those and aren't a complete retard when communicating with people you will impress them enough to get an air contract. No one will give a shit about an underage drinking ticket. You should probably keep that depression treatment thing to yourself though, I'm not sure if that kind of stuff requires waivers or whatever.

My impression has been that getting the USMC contract you want (air/ground/law) is not terribly difficult if you want it and meet the minimums. The hard part is getting through OCS, where they try to weed you out.

Is that a fair assessment?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Not neccessarily, ground O contracts for a while were hard to come by, especially after 9/11. My personal theory on why air contracts are easier to get is that most people think of the AF or Navy if they are looking into military flying. Also, relatively speaking there aren't as many people who meet USMC physical fitness standards for OCS and the academic/ASTB requirements for an air contract (lax as they may be) so when someone does they are likely to get a shot at OCS.

torpedo0126

If the medical history form asks about it I would be weary about hiding it. The consequences of them finding out and having lied on a federal form are much worse.

Were you just counseled about depression or were you treated with medication?

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
If the medical history form asks about it I would be weary about hiding it. The consequences of them finding out and having lied on a federal form are much worse.

Were you just counseled about depression or were you treated with medication?

They're only going to find out if he tells them about it. No one is going to go digging through his medical records from when he was 14. It's an OSO office, not CSI.

torpedo0126

They're only going to find out if he tells them about it. No one is going to go digging through his medical records from when he was 14. It's an OSO office, not CSI.

I won't argue with you since clearly are more experienced. I guess I don't think lying about your medical history is a great way to start a career as an officer.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
wear this...

i_love_marines_t_shirt-p235300671320221903t5v9_210.jpg

works everytime

Set your ringtone to the Marines' Hymn and make sure someone calls you during the interview. Also, buy the above T-shirt but cut off the sleeves.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
I won't argue with you since clearly are more experienced. I guess I don't think lying about your medical history is a great way to start a career as an officer.

you've got the right idea, and I wasn't trying to give you shit. My only point is from what I've seen among other pilots there have been guys who didn't disclose minor medical stuff and they haven't had to deal with holdups to their medical clearence due to waivers or whatever that guys who disclosed the same issues did. Have there been guys who didn't disclose stuff and had it found out? Probably, but I don't know any personally and haven't reallly heard of any.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Set your ringtone to the Marines' Hymn and make sure someone calls you during the interview. Also, buy the above T-shirt but cut off the sleeves.

I als recommen a giant bulldog tattoo. The one that's wearing a campaign cover and has USMC tattoo'd on its own arm. Get it below the elbow.

Seriously though, the OSO isn't going to tell you to leave his/her office if you aren't a walking hard-on when ou go in. He'll size you up mentally, morally, and physically but he won't DQ you right there and tell you to leave. The depresion thing might be a show-slowerdowner, but don't sweat it. You'll look weird if you go in there all straight laced sweaty-palmed.

And make sure it's an OSO, and not a recruiter trying to get you to "go the enlisted route." Because we all know that prior enlisted Marines make better officers.:sleep_125:rolleyes: