• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Not to Hurt Yourself When Running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice? I'm a terrible runner(best mile was 8 min) and I've got a PRT coming up. Motivation isn't a problem since if I fail I "get" to join the Marines for their three days a week 0500 morning PT.

Like what's a good way to start off a running program since I have no experience running regularly on my own. I know we've got some real fitness fanatics so I'd appreciate any input.

punac

If you have the time to start a program checkout runner's world online, look under training, they have great beginners plans that will have you on your way.

Nikki

Start off slow, about 3 days per week. Say on Mon, Wed and Fri. Stretch your calves and shins especially well along with everthing else. Shin splints are an extremely common problem so stretch! Don't start off running for a certain distance or speed, but push yourself to run for 25-30 minutes each session. After about 3 weeks, run for 40 minutes. Then add in a day or two a week to time yourself on the 1.5 mile run. After you have been running regularly for 40 minutes a day, 1.5 miles will be almost a sprint. When is your PRT?

jaerose

Don't step in potholes =) <--This seriously happened to me on a PRT...twisted my ankle and couldn't finish. Yes, very embarrassing as well. I guess I should not look over at people who seem to be talking to me while running.

JR

ScottHook

Definately start slow. I'm in pretty good shape, but apparently not good enough to do the running I thought I could. Now I have some serious shin splints or maybe even this crazy thing call Exertion Compartment Syndrome. START SLOW

Nikki

After basic training when I went to tech school, I got shin splints that turned into stress fractures..It wasn't because I wasn't used to running, but because they didn't give us adequate time to stretch and we ran on concrete...another big no no. Get cushy shoes if you are prone to shin splints..

Wow thanks for the help peeps. I think I've got a few weeks. I've been doing about 30 min a day 3 times a day, just like u said, for about a week now...could you tell me how to stretch shins? I've never heard of that before.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Shins are a bone! You can't stretch them! (sorry, personal pet peeve) But if you want to warm up the muscles around them, here are a couple:
-Sit on the ground with your legs straight, find someone to hold your feet or something to hook them under and flex your feet, pulling back on whatever you used. Hold for 10-15 sec, x3.
-Same thing, but this time push your feet against a wall/someones hands, etc.
-Also, I've found ankle exercises will help- circles, tracing the alphbet with your toes, etc.

Hope my descriptions made sense!

Nikki

Yeah, you can't actually stretch your shin..hehe. It is the muscle surrounding it that needs to be stretched. The muscle actually starts to pull at the bone if not stretched properly and that causes splints. I do the wall exercise listed above, but also place the top of my foot on the ground and stretch it as if I were trying to point my toes backwards. Another way to strengthin those muscles is to lay a towel on the floor and bunch it up with your toes. I know it sounds funny but it works..

Nikki

He he. Sitting...no need to be too motivated..lol
You will only need a spotter if the towel is wet..j/k

jaerose

Actually, shins are the general area on the front of your lower leg...the bones are your tibia and fibula ;)

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.