• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS How much do foreign contacts effect chances of becoming a student naval aviator?

wonderb0iwl

This is my first time posting here so forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask.

My best friend and roommate is from Nigeria, my parents grew up in Afghanistan, I still have family there like uncles and my grandma that I am still occasionally in contact with. My grandpa was a jet pilot in the Afghan Air force and was trained extensively in the US in the 70s.

I personally have never even gotten a ticket, never done any drugs, I am doing very well in college. I feel like it shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't lie about it right? I just don't want to apply and go through that process just to get rejected because of this. I know I should be asking a recruiter this but I'm asking here because maybe someone else has been in a similar situation and can give some insight?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is my first time posting here so forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask.

My best friend and roommate is from Nigeria, my parents grew up in Afghanistan, I still have family there like uncles and my grandma that I am still occasionally in contact with. My grandpa was a jet pilot in the Afghan Air force and was trained extensively in the US in the 70s.

I personally have never even gotten a ticket, never done any drugs, I am doing very well in college. I feel like it shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't lie about it right? I just don't want to apply and go through that process just to get rejected because of this. I know I should be asking a recruiter this but I'm asking here because maybe someone else has been in a similar situation and can give some insight?
Depends on the country, frankly. If you have relatives in adversary nations, like Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, etc, then that could be a problem for getting the right clearances you’ll need to fly most aircraft. While I don’t have specific info on Afghanistan, I’m betting that probably doable, so, I wouldn’t worry about it.

nick3893

I'm not in the Navy, but I did go through the security clearance process for an internship recently. I think the SecurityClearance subreddit mentioned above is a decent resource for some of the questions you have, as many of them have probably been asked before.

Generally though, I don't think you need to worry since I'm assuming you also don't have connections to those countries above, and that's probably the main thing they're looking for (as well as any other glaring red flags or contradictions that may come up). Off the top of my head, things like any reliance on money to/from your relatives in Afghanistan, or if they're involved with the government there, then that sort of stuff will be scrutinized more.

But just be absolutely truthful about everything and you'll be good. The process takes a while but once you send it in it's pretty much out of your hands anyways.

wonderb0iwl

You may be able to find better answers on Reddit, in particular the security clearance sub.

Just apply and hope for the best.

Haha they told me to ask over here. But I didn't know there was a security clearance sub.
I'm not in the Navy, but I did go through the security clearance process for an internship recently. I think the SecurityClearance subreddit mentioned above is a decent resource for some of the questions you have, as many of them have probably been asked before.

Generally though, I don't think you need to worry since I'm assuming you also don't have connections to those countries above, and that's probably the main thing they're looking for (as well as any other glaring red flags or contradictions that may come up). Off the top of my head, things like any reliance on money to/from your relatives in Afghanistan, or if they're involved with the government there, then that sort of stuff will be scrutinized more.

But just be absolutely truthful about everything and you'll be good. The process takes a while but once you send it in it's pretty much out of your hands anyways.
Well I do have a connection to them and they rely heavily on money we send them since the situation there is horrible. None of them are connected to the government tho even remotely. I'll just be truthful, whatever happens happens.

Last edited: