• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How is the NROTC program at these schools?

Hi everyone,
I'm a senior in high school, and with that comes the grand time of choosing what college I want to attend. I know for sure that I want to fly for the Navy, and I really want to major in Aerospace Engineering, but I'm still in between the Naval Academy and NROTC. If I don't get accepted into or choose not to attend the Academy, I was hoping that I could get some insight into what the NROTC programs are like at my top four college choices- 1. University of Michigan, 2. Purdue University, 3. Ohio State University, and 4. Georgia Institute of Technology. If anyone has gone through a program here or knows anything about it, that would be great. I have searched through this forum a lot about the programs at these schools, but unless I was doing something wrong, I didn't come across too much information about them. Also, if anyone has any advice for another good college for Aerospace Engineering and NROTC that I didn't mention, I'd happily accept it!
Thanks a lot!

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I read somewhere that Embry-Riddle's Aerospace Engineering program was rated higher than MIT and Georgia Tech, plus they have a NROTC Unit. I graduated from ERAU, but I did worldwide campuses, so I can't speak to the quality of Daytona or Prescott campuses. I'm sure there are quite a few grads from the main campuses on here that can help though.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I can't help you as it has been years since I've been to NROTC but I will say, go to a good college. That means live the life with girls, parties, etc. ERAU, blah!!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
As much as I hate Ohio, I know plenty of people who did ROTC there and they loved it... I dont know anything about the Unit there, but the advantage of going to a big state school is you are going to a big state school. If you want a small military atmosphere, go to the Academy if you get accepted. If you want to be a Naval Officer and have a normal college life for 4 years, a big university is where you should look.

Also look at Texas, Colorado, or Florida, etc.

Those schools all have well respected engineering programs and are a blast as far as social life goes.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Also consider that some schools will give finacial aid to ROTC students that will cover the stuff the Navy doesn't cover, like room and board.

You will need to contact each school's ROTC office to find out what the different schools offer

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, going to tech schools would definitely be lacking in the partying and debauchery department. If you want to thoroughly enjoy your college experience I would have to stick with the state universities. You just have to learn to balance the "fun" with the "higher learning".

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Go to a real college. Something with "State" or "State Name followed/preceded by University" in the title.

I've heard a few ERAU and other tech school grads say they wished they had gone to a state school if they could do it all over again. I have never heard anyone who went by the MasterBates rule of college selection regret their choice.

Hawk12

None
Just remember that all it takes is a few new LTs, a new MOI, or new CO and a NROTC unit can really take some interesting turns. Pick a school you want to attend, visit it, set up a meeting with the unit staff and get a feel for it. If you can, see if you can get ahold of a MIDN from the school, they can also give you pretty good insight into what you'd be doing.

You could always do Kansas, I think that might be one of our more respected fields of study, but of course I am bias.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
also a good time to ask yourself why you have your heart set on aersospace engineering. if its because all you've ever ever wanted to do was design the next best glider during your senior year - then by all means. But, do realize that you can fly jets off boats with a music degree as well...

cameron172

pilot
REALLY? You are in Jax, FL and a MIDN 1C...where exactly are you going to college?

I did a year at the one with 3,500 students that cost me $19k a semester, then I transferred to the one without a football team. Or I could have gone to the community college that just started offering 4 year degrees.

Jacksonville University versus University of Michigan. Definitely a difference.