• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does FTS work?

dustydog

pilot
Milky: I'm currently an FTS VR type, what do you want to know? VR is good, not as good as it used to be but still a hell of a lot better than being AD (well as far as QOL). It all just depends on what you really want out of it. I tell guys to keep in mind that as an FTS you are there to support the SelRes and all the admin stuff that goes with it not just fly the jet around.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Going back to the OP, what NFO jobs are there on the FTS side besides the handful of Reserve VP and VAW squadrons?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Basically, what would I expect to do for the next ten years if I was accepted into one of those communities?

Thanks.

We had a brief a few weeks ago from the FTS aviation detailer and it was pretty VT-centric. Basically it boiled down to going to your first FTS squadron as a DH, probably as the reserve DH but possibly going to Ops. After that tour, your primary job will no longer be flying but you may get a job that has flight time to be had. Honestly, this is where my eyes started to glaze over as I saw things like NOSC, NWC, etc. He then also said that if you're not concerned w/ making O-5 and just want to continue flying, they pretty much always have a spot to put you. Understand this was the detailer, so take it for what it's worth, but that's what I got out of the brief.

Also, this last board, several guys who had dropped their letter were selected, one that I know of was a VP guy and probably would NOT have been picked up if he was still attached to his community. But that letter allowed him to be "released" to FTS easier. A gamble, but it paid off for him. Not so much for others.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Figured a year on was a good time to revive this thread.

Can any of you salty Reservistas offer some opinion as to the merits of FTS versus AD SELRES?

And does anybody know if an NFO who affiliates with the VT(P) side is limited to TW-6, or any Prop VT? I know Whiting and CC don't have 'FO's normally, but hell, soon Wing Six won't have any FO's, either.

Deepsea 31

Life comes at you fast
None
Uncle Fester, You might want to checkout the various VX squadrons to see what they have to offer for FTS-types. Also VXS-1 is the Naval Research Lab R&D Squadron at PAX River and they might have some opportunities for FTS. I flew a number of projects in the NRL birds over the years as both an O-5 NFO and Govt Civilian, and we went to some interesting places and did some really neat stuff.

Just a thought..........

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Can any of you salty Reservistas offer some opinion as to the merits of FTS versus AD SELRES?

FTS = paid retirement the day after retirement.

SELRES = Paid retirement at Age 60.

Unless you have a great job on the outside, I am gonna go with FTS..

My 2 pesos... YMMV

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whether I have a job on the outside is indeed the big factor... let's hope our beloved Dear Leader is serious about expanding DHS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
From what I've seen so far...

If you want to continue in the Navy the way you know it, albeit in a more relaxed manor (at least for a certain Poindexter helo community), then go FTS. If you want/have a job on the outside w/ a more "normal" routine but still want to play Navy a couple times a month, go SELRES.

I've also seen, since the FY started, that even SELRES that thought they could get recalled easily are now having a hard time getting approved due to funding. It wasn't really a problem last FY.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've also seen, since the FY started, that even SELRES that thought they could get recalled easily are now having a hard time getting approved due to funding. It wasn't really a problem last FY.

Part of that is because there is a wholesale change in the way they are managing mobilizations this year, it will be much more structured than previously.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I think double anchor FTS is a whole different animal... for single anchor dudes there is a chance to hop VT-VR (very competive for command and O-5, but if you throw in the towel you can fly to 20 as term O-4)... from what Ive seen the VT path leads to IA's and no flying as a NOSC CO/XO... 1 command spot every 4 skippers in VT-9.. donno bout VT props... timing is everything.

To get a good answer you need to yak with a double anchor from VT-86 or wherever else the 1327's live... (FRS's/VAW???). Ive gotten all I wanted from FTS so far.. VT-VR transition, x2 DH tours tickets punched, in resident JPME for a year and destination of choice for Maj Staff. 24% first look at O-5 made it last time. 6yrs to go, hope SWA is hiring then.

I know some folks in 86.. PM me if you want info.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Part of that is because there is a wholesale change in the way they are managing mobilizations this year, it will be much more structured than previously.

That makes sense, though it sucks for those of us in squadrons where there's only 5 or 6 full time pilots.