• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does FTS work?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So myself and Mrs Fester (also a two-anchor type) are kicking around the idea of going FTS. I was under the impression that it was just TAR by a different name, but from what I'm hearing lately, not so much. Under TAR you could more or less homestead in one place with a USNR unit, but I hear FTS is more like being a Regular. You PCS and move around, just between reserve units, but otherwise it's indistinguishable from being a Regular.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Nose

pilot
FTS=TAR. New name.

The difference in job description is due to the fact that someone figured out that TARs were doing just what you said - staying in one place their whole time and not contributing anything to the "Big Navy" (That is the job of the reserves - to contribute). So now as an FTS, you actually have to work and hold real jobs. Not really the good deal it used to be.

N

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not really the good deal it used to be.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

FWIW, the actual US Code still calls it TAR, FTS is just the latest way to make it sound good w/ the GWOT and the reserve integration.

Fester, there was a FTS guy in my current squadron who did it pretty well. He was a 1310 VT(j) guy, picked up FTS and stayed a VT(j) guy in Meridian. He then PCSed to VT(p) at Whiting, picked up O-5, and is just now going to a reserve center in TN to be a CO. Basically his first non-flying tour. So there's ways to make the system work for you.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

FWIW, the actual US Code still calls it TAR, FTS is just the latest way to make it sound good w/ the GWOT and the reserve integration.

Fester, there was a FTS guy in my current squadron who did it pretty well. He was a 1310 VT(j) guy, picked up FTS and stayed a VT(j) guy in Meridian. He then PCSed to VT(p) at Whiting, picked up O-5, and is just now going to a reserve center in TN to be a CO. Basically his first non-flying tour. So there's ways to make the system work for you.

VT(j) VT(p)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually it's VT jets and VT prop. There's also VQ(j) and VQ(p).

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

D**** was one of the lucky first few VT TAR (FTS) dudes; so he is the exception. Those that have followed have not been so fortunate. And with the S-3 going away it opened a window of timing that worked in his favor..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's true. Didn't think about the S-3 side of things. But there are others. There's a guy who's been in the desert w/ -4/84 and has come back for several tours at Whiting as both HT and VT IP. Sure he's not an O-5, but there's more to life than money. I know another guy who just got selected O-5 who was another -4/84 guy, so it can even happen to us dirty helo guys. Chances are he'll be off to a reserve center "soon."

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
There are a few that get the good deals.. But it comes down to timing and many other things.. But it is a lot harder now with IAs all over the place and once you become a terminal 0-4/0-5, you may get that lucky Wing job or may be on the fast track to bad deal city to get to 20 years... My only point is, I would more look at the majority than the few good deals when making the decision..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are a few that get the good deals.. But it comes down to timing and many other things.. But it is a lot harder now with IAs all over the place and once you become a terminal 0-4/0-5, you may get that lucky Wing job or may be on the fast track to bad deal city to get to 20 years... My only point is, I would more look at the majority than the few good deals when making the decision..

I take your point, but what you're describing is no "worse" than staying regular Navy nowadays. It's not nearly as "easy" to make DH so you can quickly be on the terminal O-4 wing dude before you've even made it to 13 years. If I can get to 13 (where I'll be sitting by the time my next set of orders ends) or 15 years and still be flying and/or on my way to a flying job, then that's not bad. Should I decide to walk, so be it. Should I make it to the point where it's going to be painful but it's "only" 3 more years until 20, well, that's still a better proposition then had I stayed a 1310 and I can decide if the pain is worth it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I take your point, but what you're describing is no "worse" than staying regular Navy nowadays. It's not nearly as "easy" to make DH so you can quickly be on the terminal O-4 wing dude before you've even made it to 13 years. If I can get to 13 (where I'll be sitting by the time my next set of orders ends) or 15 years and still be flying and/or on my way to a flying job, then that's not bad. Should I decide to walk, so be it. Should I make it to the point where it's going to be painful but it's "only" 3 more years until 20, well, that's still a better proposition then had I stayed a 1310 and I can decide if the pain is worth it.

If I were going to stay.. It would be as FTS and not active duty because though they have bad deals... The active duty (which they own, for lack of a better term) have much worse deals!!! But if I were a fixed wing dude w/ airline mins, I would go that route and drill in as a SELRES... My bud (H-46/H-60) got out and loves it.. Doesn't even want to drill... To each...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think we're on the same page. I don't have airline mins (and have no desire to go that route) and want to go back to a fleet helo. FTS it is.

That's the beauty of the training command, there's so many options to explore and talk to people about, finding what works for you is relatively easy and the front office doesn't take issue w/ it.

phrogpilot73

I don't have airline mins (and have no desire to go that route) and want to go back to a fleet helo. FTS it is.
I knew I liked you for a reason... If the wife gets orders to Norfolk, then I plan on going AR for the USMC (same as FTS) in Norfolk. Life will be good!

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
If you were a betting man, one tour in the FTS world is pretty safe... one dude I know did an uninvited IA after showing up to his VR squadron (the only one), the others nominated themselves to avoid it later on in life. Second tours is where the IA's likelihood becomes more prominent. At hook I ran into my old VT students (all active duty) who were finishing their sea tours in 18Es and F's, doing a 6 to 8 monther prior to rolling to their FRS instructor tours... talk about a bad deal.
Latest rumor is to expect IA iaw PCS orders FTS.
Sweating this IA stuff seems wormy, but I do it too... good lord, better men than I are over there fighting the fight and keep going back.

6 months in Quatar flowing to 3 years flying C-40's in San Diego (international overwater fixed wing 737 glass cockpit time):icon_wink? VR det liason Bahrain (flying)... Look for the good deal in every bad deal, wait for the right moment and pounce...

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
Can anybody that is FTS VT and VR talk intelligently about what you would likely see as a new guy with about ten years to retirement in FTS? I would be basically leaving F-18 community at my MSR and thinking about trying to do FTS. I thought I would want to do VR, but VT sounds ok, too.

Basically, what would I expect to do for the next ten years if I was accepted into one of those communities?

Thanks.