• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does a Poli Sci (non-tech) Degree holder make it through API (high-tech)

twigandberries

I was a Poli Sci/Int'l Studies major. I'm taking the Aero I exam Tuesday. Once explained in class everything in API is high school level material. Relax, bro.

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
I was a Criminal Justice major and although API was no cakewalk I did fine once I figured out a good routine. Good luck

This was a breath of fresh air for me. As a CJ major, I've been constantly trying to figure out just how I got a flight contract..but nevertheless, are there any publications or manuals that one should study prior to API?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you check in you should be able to get a copy of all the API texts if you just ask in student control. If you want go over the learning objectives in those beforehand since that's what the tests are based on, but I honestly did no studying beforehand and I did fine.

NavyAv8

great comments everyone. i will just have to bust my ass game time. i actually got called to class up for api this week so i start in two days. by the way, the new average needed to get into primary is a nss of 43 which requires an average of 93 or so on each exam. the prt and pt is 10% the other exams are worth: 13% (weather), 24% (nav), 15% and 15/16% (aero 1 and 2), 15% (eng), and 7% (frr).

i am sending my brain into mental overdrive.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah you should post the 43 NSS rumor in another thread while you're at it...settle down Beavis.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
great comments everyone. i will just have to bust my ass game time. i actually got called to class up for api this week so i start in two days. by the way, the new average needed to get into primary is a nss of 43 which requires an average of 93 or so on each exam. the prt and pt is 10% the other exams are worth: 13% (weather), 24% (nav), 15% and 15/16% (aero 1 and 2), 15% (eng), and 7% (frr).

i am sending my brain into mental overdrive.

I think we all got the message after the first two times you posted this :)

Anyway, yeah, don't drop the pack. It's not going to get easier in primary, and it won't in advanced either. The way things are trending, the standards are going to keep going up across the board, probably meaning more attrites (at least from everything I heard).

edit: zab beat me to it

NavyAv8

haha. beavis is settled. just want to make sure my shipmates get the message. ive seen a lot of bs here in a-pool.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Doubt that is a random rumor... if thats the case, drink less and work together more. Once your 4 weeks of academics is over, start drinking heavily again.

NavyAv8

I have a question. I found this in one question at http://coastiecrossover.com/index.php/gouge/api-gouge/17-api-gouge-links and it reads:

A station is located at 2500 MSL and is reporting a sea level pressure of 1045.0 millibars. What is the station pressure?

1130.0, 1047.5, or 960?

One would think that the answer is 960 millibars, but the answer highlighted is 1130.0. Every 1000 ft increase is a pressure decrease of 1 hg or 34 mb right? 2500 MSL would cause a decrease of 85 mb according to that logic. Thus, the answer should be 960. Is there something I am missing if the answer is indeed 1130.0?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
From their site:

"Word of caution on the practice tests - The practice tests have some wrong answers. Do some due diligence and ensure that the correct answers are actually the correct answers. They are helpful in getting a good "flavor" for the kinds of questions on the tests though. "