• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does a Poli Sci (non-tech) Degree holder make it through API (high-tech)

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
I'll go ahead and add my $.02 if it helps ease your mind. I was a physics major, and API is not at all about complicated ideas or understanding difficult concepts. It's about memorizing things, studying with your buddies, and having fun with your weekends.[/QUOTE]

Critical info right there!!
icon10.gif

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Animal Science Major...never took Calculus...never took any advanced Physics...listened in class, formed a study group, didn't fuck it away at the beach/bar...still had time to fishoff my boat from 1600-dark every day and finished just fine...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
BTW - Creative Writing, Mech Engineering, Business Management, Mathematics, Political Science = Blue Angel Numbers 2 through 7. Those who know the selection process will smirk at this, but as far as you're concerned this should be somewhat encouraging.

That's only five majors, for six planes. . .

Bevo16

pilot
You learned all the math that you will need for API by the 7th grade. You use more math in the Navigation portion than aero. You won't be balancing any equations in Pensacola. You are learning to fly aircraft, not designing them.

I was on the "Poly-Sci & Fly" program, and had no trouble in API. Don't sweat it.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Ironically, as a Poly-Sci major, you're probably much better prepared by your college experience to handle Primary than I was as an ME. First off, Aero is written for you, as a Poly-Sci major to be able to get it in the few weeks allotted (while the Engineering majors nuke the shit out of the technical inaccuracies of the curriculum). Secondly, being well-versed in cramming tons of reading into your skull and pulling out what's important, you will be at an advantage compared to Engineering majors, who are used to being taught a process and making problems fit into that process - Primary is a boat load of rote memorization. Engineering problem solving becomes an advantage much further down the road.

Crack some books, some beers, and some ass.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Though I went through API in 93, the Bunk made it through..the Bunk! I never did group study, never did through flight school either. I was a business major as well. Point is, if the Bunk can do it, anybody can do it.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I agree with Scoob. I'm an engineering major and I felt like the non-tech degree types had an advantage. API isn't about understanding concepts, it's about memorization (with the exception of nav, I guess). My degree didn't focus on memorization at all. I never made a stack of flashcards for memorization in college, it just wasn't the way things worked. Me and some of the other engineers felt like those who had spent the last four or five years programming their brain for memorization had a leg up.

But that's just my 0.02

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I agree with Scoob. I'm an engineering major and I felt like the non-tech degree types had an advantage. API isn't about understanding concepts, it's about memorization (with the exception of nav, I guess). My degree didn't focus on memorization at all. I never made a stack of flashcards for memorization in college, it just wasn't the way things worked. Me and some of the other engineers felt like those who had spent the last four or five years programming their brain for memorization had a leg up.

But that's just my 0.02

Maybe my poli sci degree was different from others, but I never spent any time "programming my brain for memorization". I think the point is that API is not hard and your major in college doesn't matter as long as you study what they tell you to, and press the "I believe button".

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
1st question: why are you studying months before you start?
2nd question: why are you reading such a convoluted and retarded textbook as the fundamentals of aerodynamics?
3rd question: Why do you think you are the ONLY one who would think the above text is over your head?

Dude, my dad always taught me to look to the right and look to the left... and if they guys around you were as dumb or dumber... you're good. Do you honestly think the shit you read in that book is stuff we're going to learn as pilots? (hint: it's not).

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
You're screwed. DOR right now.

Just kidding. API is NOT highly technical. API Aero is completely qualitative (as opposed to quantitative). All they want to know is if one variable increases or decreases, how does it affect the rest of the formula (i.e. Lift, drag, etc.) If you can learn the difference between being directly and indirectly proportional, you're golden. It's really not hard at all.

BTW, I was an international affairs major -- I did better on both Aero tests than on the systems test that is supposedly the easiest test in API. In the meantime, go out and enjoy your life.

~Red

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
API is all about knowing how to handle the firehose of knowledge. Filling your head with detail WILL ensure success.. it will also make your life miserable. If that's your style, good for you.. if it's not, don't stress (too much).
The instructors have to cover ALL the material, but they will also have good pre-exam reviews where they will stress what the exam will cover and in what detail...and it's all multiple choice. If I didn't know an answer but read the book, going with my instinct usually proved successful. Understand the concepts, not the details. Worry about details when you go flying and when studying systems and limits.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
BTW - Creative Writing, Mech Engineering, Business Management, Mathematics, Political Science = Blue Angel Numbers 2 through 7. Those who know the selection process will smirk at this, but as far as you're concerned this should be somewhat encouraging.

That's only five majors, for six planes. . .

Last, but not least...#1, Flight Leader & CO...Citadel grad...Civil Engineering.

(According to the program Debbie purchased Sat at NAS Key West.) LOL!!