• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does a Poli Sci (non-tech) Degree holder make it through API (high-tech)

NavyAv8

I am a Vance AFB volunteer and I was told I would start API mid/late June. I started looking though the Fundamentals of Aerodynamics and my heart started palpitating and this sense of panic started to get to my head. This stuff would be fun if I held an engineering degree....dang! This stuff looks complex. The other publications would not be that hard for me to grasp...however I am increasingly concerned about my preparedness for Aero 1 and 2. I just want to know if there are any other Poli Sci guys that got through okay and if so, what suggestions do they have? Thanks!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
2.5 in PoliSci and made it through Aero just fine, BUT that was ten years ago and you didn't need to make a 95 (or whatever you need now) to pass. I'm here to tell you that you don't need to be a technical major in college to have a successful career doing this. What you DO need prior to getting to Pcola are good study habits. You need to be able to study in a group and you need to be able to push the I believe button and just flat out memorize some other stuff.

There will be people on this message board who are very proud of the engineering degrees who will tell you that you're bound to struggle. Whatever. Enjoy whatever time off you have prior to starting API and then study, study, study once you get there. Throw some PT in there everyone once in a while too :) Remember, the course is meant to be taught and then tested. Its not a correspondence course - don't sweat "learning" it all now. There are instructors to teach it to you. And the guys teaching it are not test pilots - they're regular dudes and genuinely want you to "get it".

SEARCH the rest of the forum for more info.

BTW - Creative Writing, Mech Engineering, Business Management, Mathematics, Political Science = Blue Angel Numbers 2 through 7. Those who know the selection process will smirk at this, but as far as you're concerned this should be somewhat encouraging.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was a history/econ major and out of all the tests in API I did the worst on aero, but honestly, the material isn't that challenging. Once you go through the classes, you have the instructor kick the podium for some concepts, and go to the reviews to cover anything you didn't get in class, you'll pass. This is true for all the API classes; do what the instructors tell you, press the I Believe button, and you'll be good. For test studying, if you can discuss the learning objectives in the beginning of each chapter, you pretty much have the material. What I did was my study group got together the night before each test (we met at someone's place each time and took turns cooking dinner) and we had flash cards with each objective and we just went around in a circle answering questions. Finally, if you've done all this and a day or so before the test you are still having major issues, talk to your instructor. They want you to succeed, so if you let them know you have a problem early on, rather than after you've screwed up, they are going to be more inclined to help you.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously man, relax! I'm a history major and I got through API fine. Aero I and II aren't testing your understanding of aerodynamic concepts, they're just testing your ability to remember a large amount of information and regurgitate it when it's time to take the test. If the books are still the same as they were when I went through, (a year ago) then they have learning objectives at the beginning of every chapter. Know those learning objectives cold, and you'll be golden. It really is not nearly as hard as the book makes it seem. Plus, you have a ton of time to study between now and then, and your instructor will cover everything you need to know for the test ad nauseum. You'll be fine, just breathe.

Edit: ^^She beat me to it. We did the same exact thing in my study group though, everyone passed.

NavyAv8

Good stuff. I think breathing is good (for now) because I started hyperventilating from the first few sentences on scalars and vectors...haha. I just want to be able to do well because it feels like A-pool is going to be trimmed down as there are way too many SNAs and NFOs here. I read the article about how the minimum passing score back in 2005 was a 91. It hasn't changed yet, but I am almost certain it is going to be raised again. I worked to damn hard to be cut so early. Thanks for the insight!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You remember all that bullshit you had to read and regurgitate to make it thru Poli Sci classes on Marxian Political Analysis or Ethics in Politics (ha...the irony always made me laugh)? Yea. You're gonna use that skill all over again, except it's going to be used to regurgitate how pressure and temps are related, what lifties doe when they're going over a wing, how to use dividers and a slide rule to flight plan on a chart and spin winds, and what kind of clouds thunderstorms come from.

Don't sweat API. Memorize the Enabling Objectives until you can go down the page and recite them and what they mean verbatim without even looking at it and you'll pull 100s. I'm a poli sci guy and I pulled 100s on more than a couple tests in API (till I took the pack off before FR&R and it almost bit me in the ass). Good luck.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Poly Sci checking in from Kingsville. It's not hard. Relax.

Some of the guys who did the worst were the uber geeks with technical degrees. Just press the "I believe" button... Doesn't really matter if you understand it all as long as you get a general grasp.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Poly Sci my ass...how about no college? Zero, zip, nada....but that's another story.
Enjoy...study hard, go to Floribama, lather, rinse, repeat....

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Just learn what gouge is all about and you won't have any problems...If you don't have some form of the questions you will be asked on the test to study from you are probably doing it wrong.

I'm a poli sci guy and I pulled 100s on more than a couple tests in API (till I took the pack off before FR&R and it almost bit me in the ass). Good luck.

I did drop the pack for that test and it did bite me in the ass. 98 on the retake :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Poly Sci my ass...how about no college? Zero, zip, nada....but that's another story.
Enjoy...study hard, go to Floribama, lather, rinse, repeat....

Yeah, I believe someone else here on AW got their wings with only a GED.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I believe someone else here on AW got their wings with only a GED.

Might be the "Banty"...although I don't recall ever posting that on AW. Busted the first two math tests in Pre-Flight, passed the final...then "coasted" for 17 months...of course, that was ~fifty years ago...:icon_wink Selected for Augmentation as a JG IIRC...

Off to bed...got company in...took'em fishing all day today...off to "Wings Over Key West" early AM!!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I was a Music Industry major. (so I win.) Hailing currently from VT-27 in Corpus. API was no-sweat for me. Don't worry about it until you get there. You might need to study a little more than other guys, but don't sweat it.

81montedriver

pilot
If I remember correctly, on the first day they give a powerpoint on HOW TO SUCCEDE in API. Amongst the many statistics it went something like this: the more you sleep the better you do, study in groups, read ahead for the next day. Things it didnt mention but work too are pay attention to "footstomps," ask lots of questions during the exam and use the gouge to help you get a feel for what the questions will be like. I was a Criminal Justice major and although API was no cakewalk I did fine once I figured out a good routine. Good luck

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'll go ahead and add my $.02 if it helps ease your mind. I was a physics major, and API is not at all about complicated ideas or understanding difficult concepts. It's about memorizing things, studying with your buddies, and having fun with your weekends.